Help need coolant hose urgently!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

kev&caz
Bongonaut

Help need coolant hose urgently!

Post by kev&caz » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:44 pm

Could you tell me the best place to get the hose that goes from the top of the engine to the pipes that run under the drivers side. Ours has just gone we heard hissing sound then could smell the usual fishy smell from antifreeze. Lifted drivers seat and could see fine jet of water coming out the top of the pipe where it joins the engine.

I need one as quickly as poss. any suggestions. If anyone has one or knows whereabouts of any please contact urgently.

:cry: :cry: [-o< [-o< [-o<
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Re: Help need coolant hose urgently!

Post by mister munkey » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:52 pm

1st thought, BF member Flippa makes silicone Bongo hoses & can do next day delivery.

Get hold of him via here . . .

http://www.siliconehosestore.co.uk/.

Good luck.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:53 pm

There's a few choices:

Flippa sells the silicon ones
Bongobits
AVA have them
Ian Taylor in Market Drayton probably could get it and fit it

I'm sure all of them could help out one way or the other, are you ok with the dark art of bleeding the system?
kev&caz
Bongonaut

Post by kev&caz » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:40 pm

mister monkey thanks for the swift reply you to Dobby.
Dobby no I don’t know how the dark art of bleeding the system works? I have taken off the hose and I’m sure the one I’ve looked at on Bongo bits with a description of above the starter is the correct one. But I was going to fit the hose and run the engine with the radiator cap off for a few minuets? But please enlighten me.
:D
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:56 pm

There are fact sheets and all kinds of things to do with Bleeding the system, either in the members area or via the search. The bongo cooling system has to be bled thoroughly of any trappped air otherwise overheating/cylinder head failures follow. If you have not done it before and are not sure what to do then it is probably best to get a bongo friendly mechanic to do it?
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Post by mister munkey » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:57 pm

Its a bit more involved than that due to the plumbing for the back heater. Several methods are used, mostly with the same results. Check out the factsheets in the Members section for a definitive guide or try scrambling through the search facility on here.

Bottom line is - Get it right or it could cost you big bucks & plenty grey hairs.

:shock:

. . . . Beat me to it there Dobby!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:00 pm

mister munkey wrote:Its a bit more involved than that due to the plumbing for the back heater. Several methods are used, mostly with the same results. Check out the factsheets in the Members section for a definitive guide or try scrambling through the search facility on here.

Bottom line is - Get it right or it could cost you big bucks & plenty grey hairs.

:shock:

. . . . Beat me to it there Dobby!

Great minds

Kev&Caz - where are you in the west mids?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:52 pm

I typed this on another thread yesterday but you may find it useful here:
Heres what the workshop manual says (inter alia):

Once you have drained the system and tightened the radiator drain plug

10. Set the air bleed hose downward as shown in the diagram [hooked over steering wheel]
11. Set down a container for draining coolant
12. Remove the [radiator] filler cap
13. Fill the coolant to the upper surface of the radiator
14. Attach the filler cap
15. Fill the coolant to the radiator reservoir tank flange surface

Caution
* Remove the reservoir tank cap to bleed air
* A/C Switch should be turned off

16.Start the engine and idle for approximately 10 minutes to warm up

Caution
If any of the following phenomena occurs, stop the engine to lower the water temperature as filling is incomplete. After water temperature is lowered, repeat steps from (15)
(1) Water temperature rises too high
(2) Cooling fan operates
(3) Steam comes out constantly from the air bleed hose

17. Perform the following operations after the engine is warmed up
(1) Keep the engine running at 2500rpm for 6 minutes

Warning
When checking the lower radiator hose (radiator side), be aware of burns or getting caught in the cooling fan.
(2) Check the lower radiator hose (radiator side) is warm. If it is cold, keep the engine running at 2500rpm for 3 minutes, then check again if the radiator hose is warm.
(3) Fill with coolant up to the radiator reservoir tank flange surface

Warning
When attaching the air bleed hose plug, the air bleed hose should be facing upwards as it could cause a burn if it leaks on you
(4) Attach the air bleed hose plug as shown in the diagram
(5) Attach the reservoir tank cap
(6) Keep the engine running at 25000rpm for 5 minutes
(7) Keep the engine idling for 3 minutes
(8) Keep the engine running at 25000rpm for 5 seconds then return to idling status. Repeat this 4 to 5 times.

18. Stop the engine and check the coolant level after coolant temperature has lowered.

So there you have it, chapter and (dodgily translated) verse. It seems to fit with what Haydn has been doing. The only things that perhaps need consideration are:

* if it is taking a very long time to get the bottom how warm (warm should do I think as all you need is confirmation the stat has opened and coolant is flowing fully around the full system - many owners have said their bottom hose never gets hot) then (if it were mine) I'd be asking myself why that is. The stat needs to be open not just to ensure air in the bottom hose is flushed out, but that coolant (and entrapped air) throughout the whole system is forced into circulation so that coolant and entrapped air whizz past the bleed pipe exit, where air will escape more readily than liquid.

* It seems sensible (and the manual recommends it) to re-check the header tank level when the engine is cold so that the coolant level can be set exactly to the marks when cold (the level does rise from hold to hot due to expansion I think). Also, I imagine it is possible (though the manual doesn't say this so maybe not) that any residual air bubbles (not significant of themselves in terms of adequate system bleeding) could eventually purge through to the header tank as the highest point. If that happened, the indication would be a small drop in coolant level there, which again, it might be best to top up to the proper mark so you know you have left levels as they should be.

I thought I'd type this up as its been raining and I couldn't house paint. Its stopped now so I can, but I hope the above may be useful to those about to attempt bleeding. If I've got any of it wrong, maybe someone could correct and comment.

PS - I had fitted a new thermostat to mine at the same time as replacing the coolant. It was noticeable that my Bongo reached operating temp with the new stat after 5 mins on the road whereas previously it had taken 10 minutes. So if the bottom hose is proving slow to warm then it may well be the stat is tired. Of course you'd rather know that before refilling so if in doubt I'd consider a new stat as part of the job. Not expensive and - on the 2WD at least - not too hard to fit. 4WD a bit harder due to propshaft in the way but I know some have managed it without undoing the propshaft.
8)
The Great Pretender
Supreme Being

Post by The Great Pretender » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:10 pm

Ok Mike, used your method, after this part I now need a new engine, you will hear from my solicitor...........

8) 8) 8)

6) Keep the engine running at 25000rpm for 5 minutes :roll: :roll: :lol:

The easy way to get all the air out of the cooling system is to stand the Bongo on its tailgate................ :wink:
To infinity and beyond
lizard
Supreme Being

Post by lizard » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:26 pm

kev&caz wrote:mister monkey thanks for the swift reply you to Dobby.
Dobby no I don’t know how the dark art of bleeding the system works? I have taken off the hose and I’m sure the one I’ve looked at on Bongo bits with a description of above the starter is the correct one. But I was going to fit the hose and run the engine with the radiator cap off for a few minuets? But please enlighten me.
:D

No No No very bad must have a bleed. Do not drive :shock:

I know that I am a bit late in saying this as all those experts are here already, but one must keep ones posts up.

Reminds me that I must fix the fence.
There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

F Zappa
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:59 pm

The Great Pretender wrote:Ok Mike, used your method, after this part I now need a new engine, you will hear from my solicitor...........

8) 8) 8)

6) Keep the engine running at 25000rpm for 5 minutes :roll: :roll: :lol:

The easy way to get all the air out of the cooling system is to stand the Bongo on its tailgate................ :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry - should have explained. I'm using a hotted up Frog diesel in my Bongo :lol:
kev&caz
Bongonaut

Post by kev&caz » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:43 pm

Hi all,
Thanks for all the information I will have to do it myself the Bongo is in front of my garage so I can’t move it till the jobs done. When the pipe comes I might ask someone to help. Although I must admit we have had the Bongo nearly 12 months and just before the onset of winter I drained off the system and filled her up with anti freeze (good quality) and I did as I said at the beginning of the thread let her run for 5mins with radiator cap off and possibly more by luck than judgement all has been fine. If anyone has a step by step diagram as per Haynes type manual I would be very grateful. I’m hoping to get a good service manual at the Bash?
By the way I live close to Merryhill Shopping centre to answer an earlier question in the thread. Once more thanks.
kev&caz
Bongonaut

Post by kev&caz » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:25 pm

Hello again. :D
I have ordered the pipe from Bongobits and I have also booked a service full service for Wednesday. If I do get it wrong at least Mr Two will check it out before any great distance is covered. I have also booked the MOT so I’m hoping this will give another year’s trouble free motoring. [-o<
But once more thanks for all your help and advice. =D> =D>
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:12 pm

Good news, hope it all goes well [-o<

Return to “Techie Stuff”