Steering wheel Removal and replacement

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Jolly Rogers

Steering wheel Removal and replacement

Post by Jolly Rogers » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:50 pm

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have managed to get hold Mazda Leather steering wheel, How easy will it be to replace it with my existing steering wheel?
I have done a quick search but cannot find any info on it :roll:
kev&caz
Bongonaut

Re: Steering wheel Removal and replacement

Post by kev&caz » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:56 pm

Hi,
Changed mine for a leather wheel sometime ago. No problem one nut in the middle. Just be aware of setting up the plastic auto cancel when you put the new one on. :D
Mr Halibut

Post by Mr Halibut » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:00 pm

Does your existing steering wheel have an airbag?
Jolly Rogers

Post by Jolly Rogers » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:18 pm

kev&caz wrote:Hi,
Changed mine for a leather wheel sometime ago. No problem one nut in the middle. Just be aware of setting up the plastic auto cancel when you put the new one on. :D
What's the auto cancel?
Jolly Rogers

Post by Jolly Rogers » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:19 pm

Mr Halibut wrote:Does your existing steering wheel have an airbag?
Yes, so does my new one :D
Mr Halibut

Post by Mr Halibut » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:24 pm

Auto Cancel is the gizmo that knocks off the indicator off after you've turned the steering wheel back around.

If its got an airbag you'll probably want to disconnect the battery first in case you short the sense wires out.
Jolly Rogers

Post by Jolly Rogers » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:26 pm

Mr Halibut wrote:Auto Cancel is the gizmo that knocks off the indicator off after you've turned the steering wheel back around.

If its got an airbag you'll probably want to disconnect the battery first in case you short the sense wires out.
Cheers advice taken on board will try and fit at the weekend
cheffy34
Supreme Being

Post by cheffy34 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:11 pm

Jolly Rogers wrote:

Are you sure it compat, don't think it just a simple easy swap when air bag is involved :?: i wouldn't like to say if the ecu will pick it up and besides not so sure i'd want a 11 year old air bag replacement :roll: i will just change for a sporty one when my time comes as mine has more cracks in it than tree bark, but besides that it usually fairly simple just a bitch to get the old one off, i did hear rumours of someone on here breaking his nose trying to pull one off :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: and i think i read on here aswell that someone made up a pull of somesorts to prise it off, as earlier the auto cancell is your indicators saves yoy turning them off every time you use them, don't forget the horn aswell [-X [-X :D
All disclaimers count as i know nothing
BUY A V6er i like my affair with the petrol pump
Jolly Rogers

Post by Jolly Rogers » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:57 pm

cheffy34 wrote:
Jolly Rogers wrote:

Are you sure it compat, don't think it just a simple easy swap when air bag is involved :?: i wouldn't like to say if the ecu will pick it up and besides not so sure i'd want a 11 year old air bag replacement :roll: i will just change for a sporty one when my time comes as mine has more cracks in it than tree bark, but besides that it usually fairly simple just a bitch to get the old one off, i did hear rumours of someone on here breaking his nose trying to pull one off :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: and i think i read on here aswell that someone made up a pull of somesorts to prise it off, as earlier the auto cancell is your indicators saves yoy turning them off every time you use them, don't forget the horn aswell [-X [-X :D
I am going to use my existing airbag, so that's not going to a problem thanks :D
stringman
Bongolier

Post by stringman » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:06 pm

Be very careful with the airbag. Some of these systems have a capacitor built in so they still have charge in even with the battery disconnected. You therefore need to disconnect the battery some time before you disconnect the airbag to give the capacitor time to discharge.

Believe me, you do not want an airbag going off while you are working on it.
Tin top Bongo camper, Peugeot Partner Combi, Kawasaki ZRX1100, Yamaha SR250SE
Jolly Rogers

Post by Jolly Rogers » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:17 pm

stringman wrote:Be very careful with the airbag. Some of these systems have a capacitor built in so they still have charge in even with the battery disconnected. You therefore need to disconnect the battery some time before you disconnect the airbag to give the capacitor time to discharge.

Believe me, you do not want an airbag going off while you are working on it.
Thanks will do :shock:
Gaza69

Post by Gaza69 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:11 pm

is it possible do you think to replace a non airbagged wheel with an airbagged one?? is there a space on the ecu to wire one in? has anyone achieved it? :?

cheers
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:45 am

You really don't want to be messing around with explosives.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.

Return to “Techie Stuff”