I've got the hump

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Kentish Paul
Bongolier

I've got the hump

Post by Kentish Paul » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:27 am

Look, I'm sorry. I know this has been covered before but when I search on "Suspension" I get too many results. When I search on "hump" I don't find what I am looking for but I DO get a very interesting and amusing insight into the variety of topics dealt with in the Forum!

On the last two outings, I get a distinct c-thump when driving over Road humps. It sounds as if I am carrying a large piece ofwood which is not secured. That much has been dealt with many times in the past but like I said I simply cannot find it.

The difference with my situation is that a few miles drive and it will dissapear. Like a lot of owners I guess, my Bongo sits out in all weathers. What is worse, there are months especially in the winter when I do not use it. Bongo is too large to fit in my garage.

I try to use Bongo at least once a month for a decent (>20 mile) run. So it sounds like this noise is something to do with dampness causing a problem with springs or suspension which goes away when Bongo has some exercise.

What makes me feel guilty is that, despite having been left out in the open for four winters now and only used once a month if that, Bongo has NEVER EVER complained. ALWAYS starts first time. Battery NEVER flat, Diesel purrs almost SILENTLY and runs as SWEET as a nut. I always have to remember to leave hand brake OFF though.

Paul
Bongo National Party - The law-abiding should have rights too!
rwill19050

Re: I've got the hump

Post by rwill19050 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:36 am

We had the same sort of problem.
Turned out to be a broken rear anti roll bar bracket, (there are two of them, bolted to front of the rear axle.)
Cheap parts from Ian in the Bongo shop and a fairly quick and easy replacement (of both).
A tip here, have two jacks, one, preferably hydraulic, to lift the 'bar' to make it easier to re-fit the bolts.
AND DON'T FORGET THE AXLE STANDS !!!

Stay safe

Richard
spout

Post by spout » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:35 pm

If it only happens when the engine is cold (first few miles) it could be the exhaust knocking somewhere.
Kentish Paul
Bongolier

Post by Kentish Paul » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:55 pm

That's a good point Spout. Come to think of it, it might have been doing this for some time as it is only apperent when going over road humps during the first few miles and they have only installed those wretched humps in our High Street fairly recently.

I'll have it checked at next Service/MOT. Many thanks.
Bongo National Party - The law-abiding should have rights too!

Return to “Techie Stuff”