Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Pathetic Headlights

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:49 pm

francophile1947 wrote:I'm still puzzled as to why you need 100W bulbs,
Well, "Because it was there" as Edmund Hilary reputedly said when asked what made him want to climb Everest.

But seriously, I find my headlights adequate but not stunning and I liked the idea of plenty of light when travelling down dark, remote and possibly poorly surfaced roads. Low mounted spotlights did not appeal as they are trickier to angle for best effect (and so as not to blind)and the lower mounting point and consequent shallower angle of incidence to the road will throw longer shadows that objects such as potholes can hide in (and that cause phantom image effects in their own right). For the same reason. my spots are angled to (more or less match the dipped beams) as I'm interested in the near and middle distance than some vague macho thing about seeing into the next county.

And I gotta tell ya that, just like reading specs, ya don't think ya need 'em till you get 'em and once ya got 'em ya don't want to be without 'em.

The 100W thing was because if I was going for bright lights I reckoned I might as well be sure it added a good measure over headlights alone. And by golly it does :lol: :lol: :lol:
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:43 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:The 100W thing was because if I was going for bright lights I reckoned I might as well be sure it added a good measure over headlights alone. And by golly it does :lol: :lol: :lol:
I understand that Mike, but so would legal bulbs in your spotlights - why run the risk of prosecution and/or invalidation of insurance :? :?
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:11 pm

francophile1947 wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:The 100W thing was because if I was going for bright lights I reckoned I might as well be sure it added a good measure over headlights alone. And by golly it does :lol: :lol: :lol:
I understand that Mike, but so would legal bulbs in your spotlights - why run the risk of prosecution and/or invalidation of insurance :? :?
Answer came there none :roll:
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:14 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
francophile1947 wrote:
Answer came there none :roll:
Guess I'll remain confused then :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:26 pm

No change there then :-" :lol:
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:31 pm

missfixit70 wrote:No change there then :-" :lol:
Oi!!! [-X [-X [-X :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
John
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:17 pm

francophile1947 wrote:
:-# :-# :-"
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:34 pm

bigdaddycain wrote:
francophile1947 wrote:
:-# :-# :-"
:twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
John
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:00 am

:lol: Sorry john, i couldn't resist to see if you noticed or not! :lol:
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:18 am

bigdaddycain wrote::lol: Sorry john, i couldn't resist to see if you noticed or not! :lol:
Noticed it :shock: - I needed a drink to calm my nerves after reading it :^o :lol: :lol: :lol:
John
Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:35 pm

Considering changing my headlight bulbs to Ring Xenon Max 90%'s but am not sure from this and similar threads whether the "heat shields" (I assume that's what they are) fitted between bulbs and lenses in our Bongo, as below, are standard on all Bongos, or were a later production (15/12/2000 in our case) mod to reduce some of the problems reported here.

If they are only fitted to later Bongos, has anybody used high brilliance (hotter filament) bulbs with them, and if so have they stood up to it without buckling?
2001-V6-LPG-AFT-black on silver-Imperial Purbeck camper

(Ron miel=honey rum from the Canaries)
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:19 pm

I thought the "super brilliance" bulbs that Halfords(?) sell are brighter because of a different gas used in the bulb? Aren't they still 55watts, so same heat output? I'm just guessing here, i don't actually know.

I'm on the new shape lights too, and i have "all weather" 55 watt bulbs fitted, they give a yellowish glow (which i actually like) But they seem brighter than standard bulbs, and don't seem to throw out any more heat than standards...
M 80NGD
Bongolier

Post by M 80NGD » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:29 pm

I refuse to change my standard,s*ite bulbs,because I have to keep taking the Chargespeed grill off,which is a pain in

the arse!! :evil: :lol:
My Names Bond......Lee Bond!!
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:57 pm

Nah.. ya don't have to remove the lights to change the bulbs! Just pull off the connector, remove the boot, unclip the...er, clip, then bobs ya mothers uncle! :wink:
M 80NGD
Bongolier

Post by M 80NGD » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:13 am

bigdaddycain wrote:Nah.. ya don't have to remove the lights to change the bulbs! Just pull off the connector, remove the boot, unclip the...er, clip, then bobs ya mothers uncle! :wink:
Off course you do!!! :shock: :shock: Its the sidelight bulbs and indicator bulb unit that needs the removal off the

eyebrow grill!! #-o #-o #-o Just shows how much I've used the Bongo recently :lol:
My Names Bond......Lee Bond!!

Return to “Techie Stuff”