Pathetic Headlights

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

JDS
Bongolier

Re: Pathetic Headlights

Post by JDS » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:58 pm

Hi
I have a new shape and when I bought it the lights were possitively tarnished yellow on the out side of the lens.
I used ordinary t cut and polished them and they came up like new.
My bulbs (as fitted from Japan) seem ok appearing very dull at twilight but when fully dark ok.
As a stand by I have just bought a pair of H4 bulbs this week from Lidl for £3.99 I think.
Dave & Jeanette
Auto-sleeper Broadway EL Duo Motorhome (A very overgrown Bongo)
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:03 pm

JDS wrote: As a stand by I have just bought a pair of H4 bulbs this week from Lidl for £3.99 I think.
The "tesla" bulbs? They are REALLY good. :wink:

I'd fit them now, and put your old bulbs in the new packaging as the stand by's. You'll really appreciate the extra illumination of the Lidl bulbs at this time of year.

Don't forget peeps, NOT to touch the glass of the bulb, or it won't last five minutes :shock:

And please ensure that the bulb is sitting 100% flush in the holder before the spring clip is hinged back into place, the amount of headlamps i was dazzled by last week was unreal... All of them had not had the bulbs fitted properly. :shock: 8)
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
trevd01

Post by trevd01 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:19 pm

Our new shape Bongo has brilliant headlights. I can't fault them. Came from Japan with some brighter bulbs. They compare favourably with all my recent vehicles.
Wedge

Post by Wedge » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:59 pm

I would like to replace the headlight bulbs. What spec should I need? I've seen H4 mentioned, and I've got the factsheet.

Are there any other H's I should know about? Such as the side lights and front fogs?

I had a fiddle the other day, but gave up as it was about minus 6 on Saturday!
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:24 pm

Wedge wrote:I would like to replace the headlight bulbs. What spec should I need? I've seen H4 mentioned, and I've got the factsheet.

Are there any other H's I should know about? Such as the side lights and front fogs?

I had a fiddle the other day, but gave up as it was about minus 6 on Saturday!
Yes, it's H4 you need. I've just this moment replaced mine with TESLA bulbs (the 50% brighter ones). You can get them from Lidl for 3 or 4 quid a pair (my Lidl only ever has H1, so had to order some from eBay - still only 6 quid including postage).

A couple of observations before you change them, form someone who's only done it the once, that may make it easier. It doesn't say this in the factsheet, but remove the connector from the back of the bulb (by squeezing the lugs on the side of the connector and pulling) before removing the rubber boot. Sounds obvious, but I'm stupid and didn't do it.

When you put the bulb in, spin it round until the protrusions on the metal plate locate securely into the notches cut in to the surround. You can't see what you're doing in there, especially if you have a leisure battery fitted, so you have to feel your way.

If you inadvertently touch the glass on the bulb, clean it with a meths soaked rag.
Two tonne tin drum
Wedge

Post by Wedge » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:34 pm

Thanks for that Dvisor,

Any idea on the sidelights? are they a different 'H'?

Cheers
Trouble at t'Mill
Bongolier

Post by Trouble at t'Mill » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:40 pm

Gave my headlamps a good polish yesterday with Duraglit (Metal Polishing Wadding) to get rid of the 'yellow'. After 30 seconds polishing, a thin film began to be removed from the covers...

I guess this could be the glare-reducing film mentioned above? The headlamp 'lenses' came up really well with this stuff. Mind you, any type of 'cutting' compound (T-Cut, etc) should do the job.

Wedge, I don't know off-hand what type the side light bulbs are, but they won't be an 'H' type.
Wedge

Post by Wedge » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:55 pm

Yeah, got some Plast-Rx the other day for our Bongo. Was very pleased with the results. Amazing stuff!
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:12 pm

Pretty sure they're a wedge type bulb Wedge :wink: , can't remember which one & I'm too warm & cosy to go look :roll: :lol:
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:39 pm

Sidelights on the early Bongo are the small capless bulb.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
Wedge

Post by Wedge » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:45 pm

New Forest Terrier wrote:Sidelights on the early Bongo are the small capless bulb
Our's is a '99.

Don't know if that makes a difference.
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:00 am

T10 wedge for the sidelights i think...
Wedge

Post by Wedge » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:11 pm

Thanks for that. Will have a look when the weather improves! :)
Wedge

Post by Wedge » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:47 pm

Seen these puppies,

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/h4-rin ... 17283.html

These should do the trick!

Hopefully.....
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:49 am

Yes they should work nicely, but balancing up the price difference, the above tesla bulbs are 3 or 4 quid a pair,that's like 3 and a half times more expensive for the philips bulbs over the tesla's.... :? Surely 3 and a half pairs of bulbs will oulast one pair?

Return to “Techie Stuff”