Rust discovered on nearside sill - Bongo Weak Spot Check?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Rust discovered on nearside sill - Bongo Weak Spot Check?

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:40 pm

Spent some time underneath the Bongo on Sunday, giving it the once over. Very peaceful under there - no kids arguing, away from the mess in the house etc. etc.

But despite Mango having a quality underseal job done 2yrs ago, I came across a bit of localised, but severe rust (would have been well established before the underseal job and I suspect worked from the inside so not much could have been done). But what has caused it, I haven't a clue. There is a box chamber in that area (you can just make it out in pic.3) and that has some conduit going into it (I think it holds cabling but couldn't tell and was too busy to want to lift the engine covers and go on the search trail). Whether water or condensation getting in there has caused it I can't be sure, but it seems quite possible.

Anyway, this could be a weak spot so suggest you check yours. I'd be interested to see if anyone else discovers tell tale rust. Also interested in any thoughts on likely cause.

Here's some pics (click thumbnail to enlarge):

:roll:
The Great Pretender
Supreme Being

Re: Rust discovered on nearside sill - Bongo Weak Spot Check?

Post by The Great Pretender » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:58 pm

I had a Toyota Hi Ace that had similar problems. The rot was on body parts not the chassis. It looks like an outriger problem. :wink:
To infinity and beyond
paul9

Post by paul9 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:06 am

have seen this on a few bongos that have been in the country a couple of years ,and hadn't been waxoyled on import,exactly same place on them.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:11 am

What's the prognosis do you think? MOT issue? Now? Later? Seems very localised with no sign of spreading. Strange it should happen right there :roll:
The Great Pretender
Supreme Being

Post by The Great Pretender » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:18 am

Dont know, ask your MOT guy. If it is bodywork and not chassis then it should be ok.
To infinity and beyond
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:58 am

Hi
I'll have a look on mine today, and see if I can suggest something
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:40 am

I'm pretty sure mine was ok in that area, but I'll try & have a check today if I get around to cleaning it, I reckon that may be an MOT issue Mike.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
paul9

Post by paul9 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:52 am

it was an mot failer on a bongo i had,as you say very localised,on mine it was about the size of a 2p piece but was still an mot failer.
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:58 am

Phew........just checked mine and all is well, mind you she's just had the MOT.............still I am having another dose of waxoyl done before the winter for good measure.........used to do that yearly when I had my 2CV's............they never rusted away, even the separate chassis were original.......... :D
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
bongobong

Post by bongobong » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:54 pm

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear about the rot, not a good thing to find. From reading previous posts, a professional Waxoyl job can cost quite a bit, and come with a guarantee of about three years. You state that you have also paid for a quality under seal job about two years ago. If I was you, I’d be back there (with the Bongo) pretty quick, guarantee, or no guarantee :evil:

Dave
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:02 pm

bongobong wrote:Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear about the rot, not a good thing to find. From reading previous posts, a professional Waxoyl job can cost quite a bit, and come with a guarantee of about three years. You state that you have also paid for a quality under seal job about two years ago. If I was you, I’d be back there (with the Bongo) pretty quick, guarantee, or no guarantee :evil:

Dave
Thanks for the excellent feedback guys (paul9 - that is invaluable even if depressing - what did your repair cost if it isn't rude to ask?).

I don't think I'll bother the peeps who did the undersealing. I'm quite sure in my own mind (you can tell from the flakiness) this problem existed well before they did their magic. It had probably just not begun to break through from inside. Even if that wasn't the case, that is what they would say anyway. But the fact is these are thorough people at what they do. But they can't prevent the car being 12yrs old and not protected all that time before they ever saw it.

Frustrating though! But at least she seems perfect everywhere else. What on earth caused it though, thats what I'd like to know as overall condition is excellent. :roll:
tipidave1

Post by tipidave1 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:27 pm

That is exactly the same as the rust the caused my Bongo to fail its MOT (i posted a thread on this yesterday). It is also on the drivers side by where the air con/ heater pipies go through the sill and into the passenger compartment :( maybe this is a weakness.
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:15 pm

This resurrects the old waxoyl and/or underseal debate. Mine came with underseal but it makes you worry that it was undersealed to conceal something rather than prevent rust -it was AVA so I'm optomistic that it was preventative. I'm very tempted to get my bongo waxoyled, I've had it four years and feel it should still be worth it.

Anyone have an idea what waxoyling firms charge?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:21 pm

Yes siree, looks like we have a 'type fault'. Going to look into getting mine welded (don't think I have the nerve, skills to ramp to DIY it) and then renew waxoyl in that area if possible.

I reckon it goes from the inside so may need to prod with a screwdriver to see if its breaking through.

It looks very localised so, although a cost, I'm not concerned about overall Bongo health 8)

Makes you wonder whether a drain hole should be left there if poss. :roll:
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:27 pm

done the exact same :shock: , just had a poke as i have a bit of rust in the same place, definatley rusted from inside out :roll: , got a hole now about the size of a 50 pence coin

also did the same at the back bumper bracket near the exhaust , as had a noticable rust patch, me and the bloody screw driver :evil: , first my arches now the bloody underneath.

Also noticed a bit of arrosion around the cill where the coolant pipe goes into the rear heater matrix, have to keep an eye on that. maybe worth checking there also Mike

Return to “Techie Stuff”