portable leisure battery can this be done

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: portable leisure battery can this be done

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:19 pm

But I think transporting it is fine. Like any heavy/dangerous object you think carefully about the potential risk and try and minimise it by where you put it and how you secure it. In my case it goes (more or less) under the rear seat and camping gear is then packed all around it thus minimising the chance of it flying free. But in a serious shunt, any one of a number of objects could become a lethal missile. There's a time to shut down your imagination and just go I reckon...... 8)
Magwa
Bongolier

Post by Magwa » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:23 pm

Taking a battery home is a 'reasonable excuse' just after purchase but having it there for use on your hols or a day out isn't
I think the stupidity of having a loose battery in the foot well of a van would make any insurance company rub its hands together as a way out of paying for damage/ compensation. :shock:
It probably costs less to put it in the right place in the first place :wink:
Anyway there always 'insecure load' offence for plod to have a go at you on
you find a way out I'll find another offence, there hundreds of them on file in the construction and use regulations
ask Bongo Plod :wink:
and If I can do it so will the insurance company

good luck #-o
Live long die oblong
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:42 pm

This is not for me but it may help some who want a leisure battery or 12v power but don't want an on board installation.........

A battery box from Numax that hold leisure batteries and has power points on it.........

http://www.mmleisure.co.uk/cgi-bin/site ... det&p=2255

Bit pricey but then an on board installation isn't cheap......
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
not so old
Supreme Being

Post by not so old » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:36 pm

mikexgough wrote:This is not for me but it may help some who want a leisure battery or 12v power but don't want an on board installation.........

A battery box from Numax that hold leisure batteries and has power points on it.........

http://www.mmleisure.co.uk/cgi-bin/site ... det&p=2255

Bit pricey but then an on board installation isn't cheap......

This looks very interesting and wondered (Please excuse my lack of Tech Knowledge) Could this battery container with accessory plugs etc, be used in the back of the Bongo to power the fridge whilst the bongo is parked up ? This is an unsolved problem with me and I would also appreciate a solution to the Power problem(safely) .

Cheers Anna
Things always get better after they are worse
So it's good to make things worse as soon as possible!
moonshine

Post by moonshine » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:26 pm

I don't think I would want it in my vehicle unless it was bolted down to something really solid. If it was just carried loose, it would simply add to the weight of the flying object in event of a crash. Being hit by a leisure battery in a crash would be like being stomped on by an elephant.

Best place for a battery is under the bonnet, in my opinion.
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:25 am

http://i11.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/d6/cc/5ff4_1.JPG

This picture shows it comes with an adjustable shoulder strap, this could be used to strap it on board somewhere for those who want this as a non fixed arrangement and as it also has a 12v power socket it could be used to power a kitchen, obviously a suitable leisure battery would be needed but a kind of solution for the folks who don't want a "hard" install and the extra weight of a leisure battery...........you pays your money and all that.....
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
moonshine

Post by moonshine » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:44 am

I must admit it does look like it could be fixed securely that way. The strap looks fairly substantial, and the moulding of the top seems to be such that the strap could not slip off easily, so maybe it would be a good idea providing that the strap could be attached to something solid. A good strong bracket fixed to a seat belt mounting on the floor perhaps?

Return to “Techie Stuff”