Rear fog lamp

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Responder59

Rear fog lamp

Post by Responder59 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:01 pm

Here's a tip I picked up at the National Bash last week.

Somebody kindly fitted a relay/illume switch and ran the wire to the rear end for me to cut and fit a fog lamp later.

The RAC patrolman on site told me of an alternative method which I had not heard of, Here goes.......

The Bongo rear light clusters have an empty compartment at the bottom of the unit, empty because the fog lamp is not required in Japan, so, here's how to convert this to a functioning fog lamp exactly were it's supposed to be.

No cutting the bumper or danglies!! The job was a peice of cake and took less than an hour.

Obtain an indicator bulb holder (21 w bulb) from a scrap Fiesta or similar. Try to get the plug as well and leave a couple of tails of cable when you cut it off the harness. I didn't have the plug so I used two tiny spade terminals and filled up the gap with hot melt glue.

Use the rubber O ring off the holder to select the correct size hole cutter and also as a template to mark the position
of the hole on the plastic empty compartment wher the lamp is going to go.

Carefully drill the hole, it's about 22mm. It,s possible to just twist the bulb holder into the opening but for gtreater security use a needle file to maks apertures for the little lugs to engage.

Wire up. The live feed from the dash switch and the other to earth. Hey presto....... a perfect fog light in the right place. It really is easy to fit....Honest!!

:idea: Steve
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Resr fog lamp

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:01 am

Cripes - what a stunning tip (too late for me as I've made two nice holes in my bumper and fitted recessed lights). Amazing that no-one sussed this before and well done. How about writing it up with pics as a factsheet for putting in the Members Area? 8)
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:37 am

You must have a "new shape" bongo Steve?

I noticed a handy recess, (both sides) in the clear part of the tailgate section of lens, that i instantly put down as a good place for a set of double fogs, using a pair of red led bulbs,should i ever be flush enough to afford a new shape that is! :lol:
Last edited by bigdaddycain on Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:28 pm

Cripes - what a stunning tip (too late for me as I've made two nice holes in my bumper and fitted recessed lights). quote

If you like the idea just convert your two bumper mounted fog lamps to two matching reversing lights ( same mounting plate - just a different lense)
Origo bio stove - no Bongo!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:16 pm

vanvliet wrote:Cripes - what a stunning tip (too late for me as I've made two nice holes in my bumper and fitted recessed lights). quote

If you like the idea just convert your two bumper mounted fog lamps to two matching reversing lights ( same mounting plate - just a different lense)
Hmmm. Might consider that if I can face starting back on the long list of outstanding jobs :?

Must admit, fog lights are a total waste of space - not used them once in nearly too years. This global warming stuff has a lot to answer for :lol:
sajseven
Bongolier

Post by sajseven » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:10 am

And, if you have on old-shape new (clear-indicator) light cluster, the driver's side reverse lamp can be converted to a foglight using a super-bright red LED bulb like we did... the bulb be used was this:

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/produc ... 885&page=1

It's super-bright and noticeable, not like a painted filament bulb. It's also cheap and it doesn't require adding 'orrible dangly bits to the bottom of your beauty. :wink:
Regards, Stephen Jarman (Blog & MyBongo)
Sail Fast: www.sailing-fast.com
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:14 am

After reading mikeonb4c's "how to" on fitting flush rear fogs, i promptly ordered some with clear lenses... The idea was, i could leave the plain bulbs in the lamps, so i could double up on the reverse lights when required, (i have to reverse down a dark, narrow entry to park the bongo in my drive at the rear) I keep the red bulbs in the glovebox in case of actual fog, or for the mot. It takes about a minute per lamp to swap the bulbs over. I, like mike, have not had occasion to use the lamps as fogs yet.

Nevets
Bongolier

Post by Nevets » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:32 am

"RAC patrolman " How very dare you!!!!AA and proud :lol:

Yep done mine when 1st got the freda.
I removed the bolt on effort, then as per explanation above a tidy little job all in all....

P.s 3 mot's later and no probs passing
pps mines a 96 model(old type)

Something to do when the rain stops peeps O:)
I am the only bongo in the village.......(not anymore there's two of us now "Damn it)
Regor

Post by Regor » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:47 pm

I read this topic with interest because it took me back to the 1st time I set eyes on my new mota (N plate V6) 3 weeks ago at Wheelquick.
Couldn't see a flush mounted, or a dangly fog light and thought it still had to be fitted. That was till Mike pointed to the neat illuminated switch on the dash and a very bright red light in the rear right side cluster :lol: =D> Very neat job.
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:20 am

Yep, it's a neat set-up roger, the only downside is that one of the reverse lights are lost that way...I have to reverse down a very tight driveway, hard left turn then into the garage at night, so i need all the extra lights i can get at the rear! Hence the four reverse lamps, parking sensors etc... (my windows have quite a heavy non factory tint on em, which doesn't help much :roll: )
Regor

Post by Regor » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:00 am

I see your point about manouvering your mota Steve. From your pictures I reckon you've got more lux for going backwards than some vehicles have pointing forwards :shock: :lol:
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:58 am

Thanks for the tips folks ..........I have got now rid of my dangly one and gone down the red led in the reversing light route ......fantastic, easy to do and the Bongo looks much neater, 15 mins of my time & the job is a good one....
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic

Return to “Techie Stuff”