not happy starting after a long run.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bongomaan

not happy starting after a long run.

Post by bongomaan » Mon May 05, 2008 9:34 pm

can anyone please explain why after a long run my van is unhappy starting,its not let me down yet but it is like there is no fuel getting through,ive cleaned the banjo filter,we have new glow plugs and the gp relay is ok,is there another filter im unaware of ? any thoughts welcome...
coco bongo

Re: not happy starting after a long run.

Post by coco bongo » Mon May 05, 2008 10:02 pm

Fuel filter you have not mentioned, i will be watching this thread with interest, as i get the same symptoms on first start up, i have got to clean the banjo filter. Although i have a sneaky feeling it might not help it much. Also putting a K+N in this week.

Doing the banjo next week, after my camp trip. Dont want to cock anything up now.
bongomaan

Post by bongomaan » Tue May 06, 2008 12:08 am

coco beware when you do the banjo filter of the spring that flies out when you undo the bolt,i didnt but replaced it with one out of a ball point pen.. good luck ! ps i wonder if it is my main fuel filter (witch isnt due to be changed ) due to veg oil use ???
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Tue May 06, 2008 12:12 am

definitely worth trying the fuel filter, at least you'll know you've ruled it out before trying anythnig else.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
coco bongo

Post by coco bongo » Tue May 06, 2008 12:15 am

I had a feeling that the spring might do that, thanks for the warning. Hence why im leaving it for next week.

Is the filter down quite deep or is it visible when the spring is removed?.
bongomaan

Post by bongomaan » Tue May 06, 2008 1:20 am

the filter is quite deep but with the use of a magnetic screwdriver its not a problem,ive also heard of people using a cotton bud but i used a mag driver ,i will order a fuel filter and try that but i also have a leeky pump and i wonder if diesel is coming out air must be getting in,i was watching the thread about the multi size socket from america but its gone quiet anybody know what went on there ???
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Tue May 06, 2008 1:32 am

bongomaan wrote: i wonder if it is my main fuel filter (witch isnt due to be changed ) due to veg oil use ???
I'd say it was highly likely that this may be the cause, (although the leaking pump won't help either)

How long have you been running veggie for bongomaan?

Using veggie in a bongo is a bit like colonic irrigation for your engine,it clears out all the crap that has built up over the years. It has been suggested on here before that this could affect the fuel filter too,i changed mine after about 500 miles of starting to use veggie... :wink:
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
bongomaan

Post by bongomaan » Tue May 06, 2008 7:16 pm

started using veg oil about 6 months ago so f/filter ordered,good good news passed mot today with an advisory note for back box (in the boot ill fit it tomorrow guv !!! ) and leak on steering rack,jobs a good un !
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue May 06, 2008 10:12 pm

Good news on the MOT bongomaan - well done Bongo :lol:
bongomaan

Post by bongomaan » Wed May 07, 2008 8:25 pm

cheers,i was a bit nervous but alls well that mots well !!
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Wed May 07, 2008 8:29 pm

Belter! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ Good feeling isn't it? :wink:
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
Kentish Paul
Bongolier

Post by Kentish Paul » Mon May 12, 2008 11:31 am

I have the same scenario. Had my Bongo parked in the open, unused for THREE months. Over Easter, I wiped the snow off, climbed aboard, turned the key and Bongo jumped into life. However, hit the motorway in the summer and pull into a service area for a break and I get oh so nervous as to whether I am going to leave. Turnover is very weak and it always seems that the engine starts at the last turn of the starter motor.

I have already had the fuel filter changed.
Bongo National Party - The law-abiding should have rights too!
bongomaan

Post by bongomaan » Mon May 12, 2008 8:19 pm

check your battery size i just found out mine is too small,or check alternator.

Return to “Techie Stuff”