water in sill (I think)

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Auntie-Freda

water in sill (I think)

Post by Auntie-Freda » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:36 pm

Hi My freda is normally parked on a slight incline facing up. Yesterday I parked on a steeper incline facing down. I noticed water dripping from where the front wing meets the sill (not from the doors) both sides more on passenger side. It continued to drip for some time, about an hour don’t know how much by volume but enough to reach the gutter and a drain a short distance away. I assume it was coming from the sill. Are Bongos prone to this. I’m worried because having large quantities of water sloshing around there isn't gong to help the longevity. Thanks A-F
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:53 pm

Could it be from the rain gutter? Bongo roofs are pretty big,you'd be suprised at how much run-off you can get from a soaked roof...

If you own a bongolow, i think the pipe connected to the gutter from the sunroof,emerges somewhere near the front passenger side.
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
cynfal

Post by cynfal » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:06 pm

My van has the same problem when parked on a road-mainly outside the house on an angle. And when it rains water collects in the footwell of which ever side is on the upperside of the slope. I have made 2 homemade ramps to level the van when parked outside the house and ive had no problems since
Gareth
Auntie-Freda

Post by Auntie-Freda » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:24 pm

bigdaddycain wrote:Could it be from the rain gutter? Bongo roofs are pretty big,you'd be suprised at how much run-off you can get from a soaked roof...

If you own a bongolow, i think the pipe connected to the gutter from the sunroof,emerges somewhere near the front passenger side.
Its not from the gutter. It was completely dry when this happened and I drove it for some time before I parked up. the water was definitely from inside the vehicle somewhere.
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:26 pm

Hmm, no signs of water ingress after a carwash/jetwash cynfal?
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:03 pm

Check the drain holes in the bottom of the doors are clear - they drin the water which runs past the windows into the door.
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
dreamwarrioruk
Supreme Being

Post by dreamwarrioruk » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:32 pm

also when you open the door check at a point between the two door hinges, on ours there was a missing blanking plug and rain had been getting into the sill area, it was strange when you braked you could hear water slossing around, waited till it was completely dry and then put in a new bung and its been fine for the last 2 years. just a thought to check.
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:20 pm

Good point mike... Auntie-freda? Just a thought... If you normally park in a certain position (without any evidence of water) Then you parked facing the other way,can you recall if you'd driven in the wet the previous time you'd used the bongo? Even if it was a week previously...

The reason i say this is because, after driving in heavy rain (through puddles etc)the plastic undertray below the engine acts as a trough for water.

Mine spills onto the road as i accelerate away, after reversing down my drive,i reckon there could be three or four litres of water in the tray sometimes.

In addition, the aircon can release pools of water if activated.
neepboy
Bongolier

Post by neepboy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:37 pm

there are 2 holes in the rear wheel arch at the end of the sill...I was alarmed at how much water was in my sills. I parked on a hill to drain out the water, tried to keep it dry and then sprayed waxoyl in and put some blanking grommets in.
Later when under the bongo I noticed some plastic plugs on the underside of the sill, does anyone know if these are for draining off water or filling with waxoyl etc.????
To make waxoyl really runny so it goes in all the nooks and crannies mix well with white spirit, the white spirit will evaporate leaving a waxy residue....or if you're a cock like me why not use diesel so the bongo stinks for weeks and weeks and weeks...and still stinks :oops: . Runny waxoyl also goes everywhere...but not everywhere you'd like..... :wink:
Auntie-Freda

Post by Auntie-Freda » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:33 pm

neepboy wrote:there are 2 holes in the rear wheel arch at the end of the sill...I was alarmed at how much water was in my sills.
Hmmmmm worth a check. It has been used in some very wet weather recently. maybe the water in been forced in somehow as I drive through all those massive puddles
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:10 am

I am certainly struck by how easily puddles of water drop onto the ground from (I think) the point where sills meet rear wheel arch. Had it this morning as the frost melted off. I'm pretty sure though it was melted frost from the roof - its a big area and I think this is the route it sneaks down. Must investigate more fully one day.
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:15 am

That's true mike, the water (whatever it's source) will take the easiest route, no guarantee the drip is the actual location of a leak, (if, indeed there is one).
WISHIHADABONGO

Post by WISHIHADABONGO » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:30 pm

The drain holes on mine were blocked when I got it 5 minutes and I cleaned them out...job jobed dont forget the 1 under the bonnet
:lol:

Return to “Techie Stuff”