Wiring problem

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

DickieP

Wiring problem

Post by DickieP » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:01 pm

[was Whats going on?!?

Title of topic changed to allow future serches - Admin]

Strange occurances in the bongo today on the way home from work. When I indicate, the cd player turns off. When I apply the brakes, the cd player goes quiet and/or turns off. I also notice the door open light dimly comes on.

I guess this would be some sort of crossed wire type problem, but why would it suddenly happen, and what can I do to remedy it. As much as I dislike Steve Wright in the Afternoon on Radio 2, its even more irritating when he keeps cutting out!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:28 pm

Given the weather it could well be water got in somewhere - difficult to trace, especialy in the dark and rain - good luck
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:35 pm

You could try removing fuses one at a time dickie, for example, if your interior light still switches on,but the dim glow has dissapeared when a certain fuse has been removed, then you are narrowing down the possible crossed circuit...
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
madmile
Supreme Being

Post by madmile » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:36 pm

Hi Rich
It is almost certainly your voltage sensing relay packed up and therefore the leisure battery gone flat. As your interior lights and radio are off it then this is why they are not working.
I have stopped using those relays now having had a few fail.
If you can get the van over I will replace the relay and prepare an upgrage to a heavier duty one.

Ed
Kentish Paul
Bongolier

Post by Kentish Paul » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:41 pm

Similar thing happened to me. Make sure the rain draiage pipe under the windscreen is not blocked. It is easily clogged with debris and the water plays havoc with the electricals under the bonnet.

Good luck.
Bongo National Party - The law-abiding should have rights too!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:15 pm

Thats interesting KP - I knew about the heater fan resistor being affected but not the rest of the electrical gubbins. Well ya live and learn 8)
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:24 pm

Kentish Paul wrote:Similar thing happened to me. Make sure the rain draiage pipe under the windscreen is not blocked. It is easily clogged with debris and the water plays havoc with the electricals under the bonnet.

Good luck.
Thanks for the tip, I'd just noticed that the channel in front of the windscreen on mine was full up - that prompted me to clear it out pronto.

I just stuck a compressor air jet in the bottom of the tube and blew it through, it did a perfect impression of Moby Dick.

But that really is a rubbish bit of design, locating a major block of fuses and relays right under a potential source of leaks.
I think I'm going to fabricate a shield out of thin plastic sheet and fix it to cover the fuse box and heater unit.
Ralph

Post by Ralph » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:08 pm

Bad Earth it's feeding back on the other circuits,
my guess anyway.

Return to “Techie Stuff”