Touch up paint

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

slingshot

Touch up paint

Post by slingshot » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:37 pm

hi all

I have just noticed a stone chip on the bonnet of my white bongo which
is down to the metal and needs to be sorted ASAP.
Can you buy the small touch up pens and if so where from, i have
seen the aerosol touch up kits which are for sale in the Bongo fury shop but don’t think this is what I would need for a chip this size.

Thanks

kev
Harry
Supreme Being

Post by Harry » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:39 pm

Halfords do touch up kits which include undercoat, topcot & laquer for most mazda pait colours.

You need to colur code which in on the plate on the passenger door column.

cheers

H
http://watcherswildlife.co.uk

Towing a shed with a Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6hdi vtr+
westonwarrior
Supreme Being

Post by westonwarrior » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:45 pm

to be honest I tried to get the exact match to mine (green) but could not find it so settled for nearest match. I dabed it with hamerite then covered with colour so should be rust protected and is hardly noticable especialy when not clean :lol: .

I sprayed the hamerite into the lid and used a small brush and used an artists brush for the colour too, I find the brushes in the touch up pens too thick.
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:18 pm

I find these brushes too thick as well. I find it best to use mid priced art brushes which come down to very small sizes. Try your local art shop.
Kentish Paul
Bongolier

Post by Kentish Paul » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:03 am

Touch up paint is available from the Bongo Fury shop.

take a look at the appropriate factseheet for detailed advice on all aspects of paint touch-up.

Frankly, I have NEVER been able to touch up stone chips with a brush. I grab a toothpick, blunt the end slightly and use that to apply. You will get very luttle paint to adhere to the wooden toothpick but that is fine. You need very little and need to advise a blob proud of the surface of the surrounding paintwork.
Apply a small amount to the centre of the chip and spread to the edges. Buy yourself a cheap magnifying glass and use that. If you get it looking reasonable under the glass then it will be near to invisible to the naked eye.

Paul
Bongo National Party - The law-abiding should have rights too!

Return to “Techie Stuff”