Oooops wheres my tyre !!!!!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

frogmorian

Oooops wheres my tyre !!!!!

Post by frogmorian » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:26 pm

:( Disaster, whilst driving, my custom tyre sustained a bad puncture and came off the rim, no prob i thought just drop down the spare and nurse her home. Then my prob as the spare seems to be rusted in place, i just wondered before i take a grinder to the whole thing whether theres any tips on releasing it. At the mo had to abandon Bongo til i get a new tyre...... :(
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:40 pm

now dont shout, but you are using the long pole to wind down the spare wheel arnt you ?
Lost without my Bongo.
frogmorian

Post by frogmorian » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:44 pm

yes, it feels like it locks in but when i turn it(anti-clockwise) it just ends up slipping so i fear i may be mangling the area where the pole sits.... The wheel alas remains hanging out of reach :( :(
NeilT
Bongolier

Post by NeilT » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:07 pm

As you wind out... does the centre piece in the middle of the wheel drop down? You may need to get someone to help you... one to turn the handle and then you underneath to see what is what.... i like it underneath.
"Thats The Way The Mop Flops"
http://www.bongoforum.co.uk

NWBB
RobnKathryn

Post by RobnKathryn » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:07 pm

We're in Cranfield, Beds nr Junction 13 M1....I have a spacesaver Bongo spare you can have for free if you can pick it up.

Rob n Kath
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:08 pm

has the bongo been waxoiled with the tyre still in place or even the tyre replaced when the waxoil not quite set, could be causing a bit of suction around the wheel ,just a thought may sound daft but my wheel was a bit stuck after i put it back before the waxoil was dry enough...otherwise the wire should be coming off the spool that you wind up and down, sorry cant help in any other way.
Lost without my Bongo.
frogmorian

Post by frogmorian » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:14 pm

thanks for the offer, i may take you up on it as was looking at buying new wheel if can t free up the spare, not sure of history but only came into the country last October so not sure bout the waxoil, i was underneath as bro tried to free it the wheel swayed but could see no movement of the spring, when get it home will have a wrestle but as i said cos its custom i doubt the spare has been used for eons, oh for the sake of a smear of grease :?
Kentish Paul
Bongolier

Post by Kentish Paul » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:13 pm

I am not being a smart a*se but there have been other threads concerning problems on releasing spare wheel including one owner who could not find the tools to lower it. How have these Bongos passed their MOT? Does not the MOT include inspection of spare wheel?
Bongo National Party - The law-abiding should have rights too!
dp bradford
Bongolier

Post by dp bradford » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:19 pm

Kentish Paul wrote: Does not the MOT include inspection of spare wheel?
Rather surprisingly the answer is No. :shock:
harpo42

Post by harpo42 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:16 pm

I cant remember for sure and its raining so I cant be bothered to check, but isnt it clockwise to drop the wheel?
ircbongo

Good point...worth trying to turn it the other way.

Post by ircbongo » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:46 pm

I had a car with a wind-down spare wheel, and it used to be anti-clockwise to lower it.
After I had a new set of tyres fitted it was clockwise to lower it.
Eventually stopped and thought about it long enought to realise the garage had wound the wire up the other way on the spool.
Of course it was raining and I was on a dual carriageway with a puncture at the time...
frogmorian

Post by frogmorian » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:23 pm

I'm going by the manual which says anticlockwise, however i did try clockwise with much the same result! Previously have had pick ups with the same problem and never been picked up at the MOT, strange i know. As it stands replaced tyre for a substantial amount and now intend to jack it up and have a play around underneath, is there any particular place i should aim the WD40 at :? :?
frogmorian

Post by frogmorian » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:01 pm

:D :D Good times i and a garage managed to get the tyre off and the mechanism is working ok. :( :( Bad times the reason i could nt do it on my own was because at some point my bongo seems to have taken a rear end shunt and the mechanism is all bent, MOT soon so hope it does nt affect it :roll:
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:14 am

Kentish Paul wrote:I am not being a smart a*se but there have been other threads concerning problems on releasing spare wheel including one owner who could not find the tools to lower it. How have these Bongos passed their MOT? Does not the MOT include inspection of spare wheel?
If a spare is fitted it must be legal,if there is no spare at all thats fine.

Luckily i'd just replaced the spacesaver with a full sized wheel prior to my mot,the examiner said he'd have failed it with the spacesaver. (its not up to the job, he commented)
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014

Return to “Techie Stuff”