new to automatic gear box

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

annsvan

new to automatic gear box

Post by annsvan » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:56 am

I am hoping to take delivery of my Bongo this week - great!! :lol:

However, although I have had a short test drive, I have since thought of several basic questions and wonder if anyone can enlighten me.

1) do you engage neutral at traffic lights?

2) do you do hill starts from a drive position?

many thanks
Veg_Ian

Post by Veg_Ian » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:00 am

:)

It really is so simple. Just stick it in drive and go. To stop you use the brake and stay on the brake at lights. To set off again hit the accelerator. It won't stall on you and the box will change up and down as needed automatically. After a week you will realise it is sooo much easier to drive than a manual.
annsvan

Post by annsvan » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:16 pm

Many thanks, I am sure it will be fine, I have been driving manual cars for over 35 years!!

Ann
Dabs
Supreme Being

Post by Dabs » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:21 pm

Welcome to the Forum Annsvan
Another NW Bongo to the fold,keep an eye open for the Meets in NW section.

Good Luck Dabs
Its Oh so quiet!!..Ex Terra Lucem!!..A Leopard can't change his spots!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:29 pm

I've been a manual man for 35 yrs too annsvan, but I dont want to go back now I've been Bongoed. You'll love it. Just make sure you tuck your left foot away from the pedals until you can be sure you dont try and depress the clutch pedal and end up slamming the brakes on.

Good luck with your Bongo

Mike 8)
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:36 pm

oh my god another wiginer, :shock: well never mind welcome to the mad house, :D :D :lol: :roll:
Lost without my Bongo.
Kentish Paul
Bongolier

Post by Kentish Paul » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:13 am

This subject has been covered before annsvan. Please do not sit at lights with your foot on the brake. At best your brake lights will blind the motorist behind. At worst, your foot could slip off the brake. As you now know, an automatic will creep forward (or backwards if in reverse) of its own accord. Apply the handbrake and cover the brake with your right foot.

Advice is split between the pro's and con's of puuting the box in Neutral when halted. I believe it is not necessary and any wear on the clutch is offset by wear on the gearbox changing for a short period.

Finally, I have always been taught to use my right foot only. This is easy for me but then I have only ever driven an automatic. I did not learn to drive until I was 57 so wanted to fast-track the process. There is even a rest to park your left foot in most Bongos. However, there is a famous motoring journalist (Honest John in the Telegraph) who insists that it is highly dangerous to use only the right foot and that there are many cases of crashes caused by panic with the driver pressing gas instead of the brake. I suggest you use the traditional, one-foot technique.

Reading the forum and speaking to many Bongo owners it is clear that, whilst adapting to automatic is not difficlt , it requires as much effort to adjust than it would take me to learn to drive a manual.

With improving technology and traffic congestion, one day all cars will be autos.

box
Bongo National Party - The law-abiding should have rights too!
trekie

Post by trekie » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:34 pm

i had always driven manual cars until i bought galileo. however, jan had driven autos for years and gave me a couple of tips. in the end, i took gali off to the supermarket carpark after hours and indulged myself :!: :lol: :lol:
so, keep your left on the stump and use only your right foot on the pedals, you will pick it up very quickly :lol: :lol:
welcome to the asylum :!:

cheers

alex and jan
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:22 pm

kentish paul said"any wear on the clutch"
what clutch??
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
Veg_Ian

Post by Veg_Ian » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:21 pm

Please do not sit at lights with your foot on the brake. At best your brake lights will blind the motorist behind.
What!! Come on Paul, how on earth do you expect to beat the boy racers from the lights by driving like that? :D
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:41 am

Greetings annsvan,

Welcome to the madhouse,but its a nice madhouse full of nice helpful & friendly lunatics!!

Most of all enjoy your Bongo,and wave if you see me....maroon over silver 4wd Bongalow,vrm M***SHG,Winstanley/Pemberton area (sometimes with a caravan on the back)

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
annsvan

thanks

Post by annsvan » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:32 am

Thanks to everyone for their helpful replies. I hope to get my van today from Wheelquick. :roll: :lol: Bongoplod I will look out for you, I will be grren over silver 2WD with chrome wing mirrors! R** WFV

Ann
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:36 am

R reg!!!!!.......Chromed wing mirrors!!!

You poser you!

Never saw that one in Mikes,ide have swapped `em onto mine :lol: :lol:

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"

Return to “Techie Stuff”