Fixing me mirror

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Dave up north

Fixing me mirror

Post by Dave up north » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:58 pm

So. Got a new camera so here is a couple of pics of my mirror (or whats left of it)

What do I need? Will bits off a non electric one fit? How do I fix it?

Any help gladly received.

Ta, Dave

francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:12 pm

Does the white bit still move when you work the buttons? If so, you can get a plastic mirror glass from Halfords (you cut it to shape) and glue it to the white thing.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:41 pm

Dont forget to check out this thread Dave

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... ing+mirror

Though without knowing whats wrong with your mirror I cant help any more than that. It was my folding mechanism that was stuffed.

Good luck

Mike 8)
Dave up north

Post by Dave up north » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:22 pm

The mirror is missing. The glass part anyway.
The picture is of what is left.

Everything still moves ok.

I take it I just buy a new mirror glass and that it will come with four grabber things on the back and I just push them onto the white bit and its ficxed.

Is this right?

Anyone got one?
spitineye
Bongolier

Post by spitineye » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:56 pm

if the white dealy thing is undamaged, just buy new glass from the bongo fury shop and pop it on. it comes fitted with the required dealy for instant joy.

some swine keeps attacking my mirror and actually nicked the glass recently :evil: :evil: :evil:
Insert Bongo pun here
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:50 pm

Lucky you Dave. Mine has failed mechanically without even be ing insulted :(
Dave up north

Post by Dave up north » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:05 pm

Super. have ordered one off Ian (WRAP IT NICE AND CAREFUL IAN. TA)
Was offered a complete mirror off Dreamwazza, but I wouldnt like to rip a perfectly good spare mirror in bits, just to get the glass off it.

Save that mirror for someone who loses more than I did Dreamy. I thought I needed more than I do. Didnt realise that the crappy white square was supposed to look like that. I thought it was something more ornate, that had gotten broken.

Ta all.

Dave
Dave up north

Post by Dave up north » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:18 pm

Many thanks to Ian for the speedy delivery of my much needed mirror glass.

Scared the heck out of me when fitting it. Thought I would break it, but its in and lovely now.

Ta all.
Kentish Paul
Bongolier

Post by Kentish Paul » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:11 am

I am lucky enough not to have made too many driving mistakes but I made one this Sunday. Travelling down a narrow country kland with cars parked on the left. Stoped before the line of parked cars to allow oncoming vehicles to pass me. Actually, it was one of those borderline scenarios I hate. It was touch an go whether two vehicles could pass but it would have been inches and how does one judge. It is particularly difficult for me because I have spent the first 56 years of my life on two wheels (alright 50, I did not get my first motobike until I was 5!). Anyway, I drove on and another car appeared from a side turning and headed towards me. Bongo's wing mirror hit same on a parked car. It sounded like an explosion.

I pulled in at the first safe spot and went back to examine the car. The wing mirror had been pushed in and the plastic was scratched but the scratches did not look recent. Bongo's mirror was deflected by the collision and looked badly marked but those marks rubbed off with T-Cut.

Obviously it needs to be a far meatier contact to damage the Bongo and possibly I had only clipped mirrors at the very edge. Hate to think what a replacement mirror unit (not just the glass) would cost.

Paul
Bongo National Party - The law-abiding should have rights too!
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:30 pm

That was a close one paul :shock: I seem to recall somebody getting a £300(ish) type quote fro mazda a few years ago!... And i dont think that included the glass! :shock:

Thats the price you pay for them not being shared with any other vehicle... :wink:
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
Kentish Paul
Bongolier

Post by Kentish Paul » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:20 pm

Right! When it comes to driving carefully, those sort of costs concentrate the mind wonderfully!
Bongo National Party - The law-abiding should have rights too!
dreamwarrioruk
Supreme Being

Post by dreamwarrioruk » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:45 pm

ive got one for sale, if you can get 300 quid i got it for i think around 20.

well done dave glad it was a cheaper repair, didnt really want to rip mine apart as sods law would say mine gets smashed next day.

Return to “Techie Stuff”