? very hot Handbrake and console ??

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

pilajake
Bongolier

? very hot Handbrake and console ??

Post by pilajake » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:27 pm

I have noticed today that the handbrake seems hot at its base, also the cabin seems warmer around my legs??
I have checked oil, water and the Fan comes on when the engine is warm
Is it that i am going mad or is there a sensible answer to this ??
Not very mechanically minded??
Wild Women from WONGO there are none in my BONGO !!
Steve L
Bongolier

Post by Steve L » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:36 pm

I'm sure I've read recently that a hot handbrake is a symptom of the scavenger fan not working. If you scroll down on this page you will see a link called 'Scavenger fan'. This explains how you can test if its working.
1995 N reg 2WD AFT in green/grey
www.whiteroseancestry.co.uk
Dabs
Supreme Being

Post by Dabs » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:02 pm

If the console is getting hot whilst driving the fan may not be working.

If You have had the Bongo stood for a while after a journey the console and handbrake will get a bit warm as the heat rises from the engine it has to go somewhere and an escape route is around the handbrake.

An easy way to see if the fan is working is to listen,after a journey turn off the engine thenstart up again You should hear the fan running before You start it back up.

Hope this helps

Dabs
Its Oh so quiet!!..Ex Terra Lucem!!..A Leopard can't change his spots!
pilajake
Bongolier

Post by pilajake » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:45 pm

Dabongo,

I have just taken Bongo for a drive and the scavenging fan is working, I think it must be as you stated that the heat is rising whilst idle to warm wth handbrake base.
I havnt noticed this before !!
Must be the change in the weather , making the cabin warmer!! combine this with me working nights for the past two weeks, making my own internal temperature gauge not function as norm.

Thanks
Happy Camper

Post by Happy Camper » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:07 pm

I noticed that if the rear heater is set to warm the drivers seat gets warm around the center console area. Is the rear heter switch on?
Kentish Paul
Bongolier

Post by Kentish Paul » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:05 am

How long have you had a Bongo? I note you joined this forum in Feb this year. I do NOt want to distract you from checking all the obvious especially the scavenging fan as serious problems may result. However, I remember a similar experience the first summer. The latent heat generated by sitting over a meaty engine became suddenly very apparent.
Bongo National Party - The law-abiding should have rights too!
neil/di
Bongolier

Post by neil/di » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:22 pm

Does the whole of the consol get hot or is it just the top :?:
mine used to get very hot around thee ashtray,and it gets very hot as there is a light that light a green light up on the ash tray
Neil
A Bongos is not just for christmas
pilajake
Bongolier

Post by pilajake » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:32 pm

Niel,
The base of the handbrake gets hot and surrounding console only?
I think it is just the heat off the engine rising thats causing the heat, I feel I never really noticed it before??
neil/di
Bongolier

Post by neil/di » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:30 pm

If you look at your ash tray you will see a little green light, it gets very hot around this area
Neil
A Bongos is not just for christmas
Peg leg Pete
Supreme Being

Post by Peg leg Pete » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:20 pm

My handbrake got hot, I cleaned the contacts for the sensor for the scavenger fan, stayed cool since :wink:
Last edited by Peg leg Pete on Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Pete
brorabongo
Supreme Being

Post by brorabongo » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:03 am

I use to have the hot ash tray Only at when headlights on. It's easy to remove the lamp from below the ash tray its a poor light anyway > gives off more heat then light :roll: but I have not felt the handbrake lever getting hot. Having said that I have never checked.
ボンゴの激怒 pictures
Run your fingers over my Bongo, and I'll run my Bongo over your fingers!! :twisted:
Matt&JoyBongling
Tribal Elder

Post by Matt&JoyBongling » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:22 am

We had a senile moment the other day - our console was getting very hot, particularly towards the back. It was also getting hot in our cabin even with our windows open and a nice breeze. I played with the controls and found that the "rear" button had been turned on - we turned it off and the heat stopped immediately. It transpired that our Captain Kirk son had been playing with the heat controls and set the rear temp for max while playing in the back and then turned the rear heat control on at the climate control panel. :oops:
Underground, Overground, Bongoling Free, the Bonglers of Bedford, common are we ...

Return to “Techie Stuff”