Help - Newbie with battery probs

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bongo dog do da van

Help - Newbie with battery probs

Post by bongo dog do da van » Sat May 26, 2007 4:45 pm

Hi all, please can you help, I picked up my P reg Bongo from Imperial on 9th May, when Martyn had gone through it all with me, and we'd sorted the paperwork and was setting off, it wouldn't start, battery wouldnt turn over. Quick as a flash and very apologetic (despite the rain!!) Martyn changed the battery out and off I went, I must admit to being a bit worried, but it drove fine. Next day I went off to Weymouth also fine. Later that day I had an accident (not in the vehicle I may add) which meant I could not drive up until today (17 days) - I have had a friend take the van out twice since then on a decent run (to Portland and back) just because I was worried about the battery, went out today to go for a short drive after Doctor ok'd it - battery dead again, glow worm lights and goes out engine coughs once then nothing. I rang Imperial Bob said they couldnt do anything til after Bank Holiday, which is fair enough but if I got it jump started and bring it over next week they will get their electrics guy to look at it. Should I be worried do Bongos suffer from battery problems, does anyone know what it might be. Do they have to be driven every day to keep them charged, nothing in the conversion has been used at all, so it cannot be that. I work shifts for emergency services, all hours of the day and night and have to have a reliable vehicle that starts. As I paid that bit extra for the Imperial, this will now be my only car - any ideas
alphabetter
Bongolier

Post by alphabetter » Sat May 26, 2007 4:59 pm

During the winter I normally don't drive mine more than once a week and sometimes only once a fortnight and the battery is A-OK.

I've never heard of any common starting problems with Bongos.

Sounds to me like some appliance or device is running the battery down when the ignition is off. If that is the cause then I would hope it would be fairly easy to diagnose and fix.
Dago & Mrs D
Supreme Being

Post by Dago & Mrs D » Sat May 26, 2007 6:01 pm

We left ours standing for over 3 weeks in March (when presumably it was damp here and not particularly warm) and it started on the first turn of the ignition when we got back.

Mrs. D
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sat May 26, 2007 6:57 pm

I think it must be one of three things.
1, Duff battery, when you bought it and it wouldn't start did they put a NEW battery on or a "new old one"
2, Somthing must be draining the battery, you can test this by putting a meter between the Battery Pos and it's main cable.
3, Alternator not charging the battery.

I would go for No 2 first, Then get your battery drop tested ( no you don't chuck it on the floor) at any tyre/battery depot. and check alternator belts are not slipping (you would hear that) and measure the voltage across the terminals of the battery with the engine running, should be about 14.2 volts
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
bongo dog do da van

Post by bongo dog do da van » Sun May 27, 2007 12:39 am

Thanks for replies so far, at least I wasn't intending to go away for this bank holiday weekend as I would not have risked it, no fun at all at the end of a weekend if your vehicle will not start, and you have to ask strangers for a jump start!! No doubt Imperial will find out what is wrong next week. I dont know if Martyn put in brand new battery (looks new) or reconditioned, when the vehicle wouldnt start when I went to collect it. As you suggest looks like problem was not with battery itself anyway, as same thing has happened again, so obviously charge being drawn off battery from somewhere, will let you know what Imperial find when their electrics guy looks at it later in week in case it helps anyone else. silly grin currently worried frown.. as I have a Bong - stop not a Bon -go at the moment.
moonshine

Post by moonshine » Sun May 27, 2007 8:43 am

One other possibility is a dodgy earth connection somewhere. Try checking where the battery earth lead attatches to the body, and check the engine earthing strap.

I don't know of any inherrant starting problems with Bongos generally.
bongo dog do da van

Post by bongo dog do da van » Sun May 27, 2007 10:48 am

Thanks Moonshine - my problem is I am not technically minded - can manage the basics but thats about it - hence I paid the extra for an Imperial - am sure it's something simple and they will sort it next week. Am happier now you have all reassured me that this is not a common problem with Bongos
bongo dog do da van

Post by bongo dog do da van » Mon May 28, 2007 7:07 pm

Just an update... got a jump start off a mates VW Works van - first turn with the jump leads attached - and the Bongo roared back into life - Hurrah!! - let it idle on the drive whilst I made necessary thank yous and stowed jump leads etc - sounded sweet and no raise in temperature at all - drove it around a bit to get the alternator charging the battery, brought it home and left it on drive for a few hours - started it up again and it fired first time - obviously something is putting a slow drain on the battery, so hopefully nowt serious - will post what Imperial find when I get it back - once again cheers for replies and advice given
johnzbenson
Bongolier

Electrical faultfinding: A process of elimination

Post by johnzbenson » Wed May 30, 2007 11:40 pm

With a known fully charged battery you should get weeks of trouble free starting.
Is the alternator charging the battery when the engine is running? to check this try a DC voltmeter across the battery with the engine switched off, the reading should be around 12.25 volts. With the engine running and no heavy loads the same voltmeter should now read between 13.8 to 14.4 volts which represents a healthy charging characteristic.
So then Is the battery discharging when you park up the vehicle? this requires one of the battery leads to be removed and a DC ammeter to be inserted between the battery and cable. the ignition should be switched off for the duration of this test. The current demand shouldn't be anymore than 40 milliamps or 0.04A as commonly displayed on most modern multimeters. Any more than this indicates an electrical fault. Alot of which can be readily identified by continuous monitoring of the ammeter and a step by step removal of fuses until the current demand subsides.
A couple of points to remember . remember the courtesy light as you enter and exit the Bongo. removing the fuse doesn't fix the problem only narrows down the likely fault and some items are not individually fused.
A couple of likely culprits are: An alternator in a semi failed state. unplug the alternator and see if a current demand still exists. another candidate is the strip light in built invertor can fail in a manner which drains the battery. to test this disconnection from within the light fitting is necessary.

Finally best of luck and a polite reminder that if you do find the fault, to report back and wrap up this thread so as to contribute to the pooled Bongo fury knowledge
I say, Do You Bongo?....... RATHER!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu May 31, 2007 12:19 am

Just to add to what johnzbenson has said - All I've read about Imperial is that they are excellent and so I would expect them to run all the tests he mentions and put it right as part of the purchase. You shouldn't have to do it. I've just returned from doing 1000 miles in Scotland, stood in a cold and wet field, running things off the starter battery with engine off (not a lot, but I shouldnt have done it at all only the leisure battery had given its all and the kids wanted to watch a DVD). The Bongo behaved faultlessly in every respect. Its not just a good car, its an astounding vehicle. There seems to be nothing it cant do, and do well. Once your teething troubles are sorted, I would expect you to be delighted with it. It is far and away the best vehicle I've ever owned - I can only describe it as 'formidable'.

Mike
8)
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Thu May 31, 2007 1:45 am

Worthy praise indeed mike!... Do you dread the day when there isn't a decent bongo left to buy? My only regret with the bongo is that i didn't know about them when they were new... :roll:

Imperial are very highly regarded bongo da doo dah vandoody do, i,m sure they will sort it out for ya!

I had to declare my bongo S.O.R.N a couple of years back,winter time you see, i couldn't justify taxing a vehicle that i didn't use, and the battery was flat when i attempted to start after a couple of months.

She fired straight into life when i jump started her.

Because the battery ha been completely depleted, i decided to buy a new one when i put her back on the road,and charged the existing battery just to keep the alarm/immobiliser operative whilst the bongo was not in use.
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
bongo dog do da van

Post by bongo dog do da van » Thu May 31, 2007 5:37 pm

Latest update - Bongo back to Imperial Tuesday morning - started up fine still off the same jump start so whatever the issue is it's only putting a slow drain on the battery. Drove like a dream over to Poole - I am amazed how well it bowls along for quite a sizeable vehicle - the power steering is very light too - much lighter than my VW Golf was, so no problems driving with 1 partially non functioning shoulder!! - Martyn was great - insisted on checking train times and driving me to the local station, even though it is within walking distance. I live close to the mainline station at Dorchester so it was easier to train it back. I dont need to use the Do Da Van this week so they have the chance to have a good look at it etc - thanks again for all replies and advice
bongo dog do da van

Post by bongo dog do da van » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:57 pm

Well a little update is in order - Bongo was back with Imperial for a week and bad news was they could find nothing wrong with it - obviously as it had flattened 2 batteries this was a worry - however, Martyn put in a brand new battery rested it for a few days and it started ok. I collected it on the following Wednesday and since then it has run fine, albeit I have been using it more frequently with 2 good runs to stay with friends and try out the conversion, which I am pleased to report worked perfectly. Fridge, gas rings etc all great, leisure batteries easily powering the fridge with no hook up for 2 days. The Ridgedome Motordome Tourer was a great buy for me.. really is easy, even with limited movement in 1 arm, popped up like a gem. I have some photos of the van and awning, will post when I have time to read the instructions!! thanks again for all advice.
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:15 pm

Good news then bongo, mine was acting similar, it would start fine then pop to town and dead, jump start off my power pack ( highly recommended to all to get one) and she would be great for a while, even tested the battery and it showed as a ok. Then drove to Dawlish parked up at the camp reception ( welcome park brill place) got the keys, jumped back in and no way would she start, this time not even with the power pack, took the RAC chap (whose collegue owns a bongo) two gos with his pack to get her started. Then I popped along to Dawlish Imports and they were absolutely brill, fitted a new battery, tweaked the ignition and refitted two wrong attached pipes all for £45.00. Lovely people and some to die for motors for sale. Picked up a spare battery as well now as a reserve but so far no more probs. Happy motoring.
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:54 pm

Hi bongo ddd van, This may sound silly, but does the interior light work ok? (the striplight) Good and bright? At all times?

It may be worth popping the cover off and checking the connections,or even replacing the tube if you think it may be a bit suspect.

I have heard of these kind of lights partially collapsing from the inside,causing an intermittent (in some cases) power draw.

Its a long shot, but worth a quick look... Or maybe not if all is well at the mo,and it stays that way :wink:
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014

Return to “Techie Stuff”