Help - Newbie with battery probs

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bongo dog do da van

Post by bongo dog do da van » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:42 pm

Thanks Big Daddy - I am off out now to check my light - when I had the first problem I went around and switched off everything possible, but I did not check the inside or look at the strip. I used a re-chargeable lantern when on my trip and the LED's on a very limited basis to preserve as much energy as possible, just in case, and am not even sure that I have turned the internal strip light back on yet... will check
bongo dog do da van

Post by bongo dog do da van » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:44 pm

Hi David, My friend lives right next door to the Dawlish Bongo company (between them and the road safety camera ... boo hiss). They have got some great looking vehicles, if Imperial had not been so close to where I live I think I may have ended up there, nice to know they give good service too.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:57 pm

[quote="bigdaddycain"]Hi bongo ddd van, This may sound silly, but does the interior light work ok? (the striplight) Good and bright? At all times?

It may be worth popping the cover off and checking the connections,or even replacing the tube if you think it may be a bit suspect.

I have heard of these kind of lights partially collapsing from the inside,causing an intermittent (in some cases) power draw.

Its a long shot, but worth a quick look... Or maybe not if all is well at the mo,and it stays that way :wink:[/quote
Hi bigdaddycain
Thanks for that - my battery kept going flat and my striplight has always been very dim - disconnected striplight and battery stays fine - do you know if it just needs a tube or a new fitting?
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Kentish Paul
Bongolier

Post by Kentish Paul » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:49 pm

Hope all is well. Due to health issues I have left my Bongo for six weeks without use and starts up sweet as a nut. BUT there was one instance and only one where I left it a week and could not start due to drained battery. Crazy because last year I went on holiday for a few days and left one of the interior fron tights burning. Still no problem!!

I think you can safely assume third time lucky, resting easy that you have brought it from a good dealer. Enjoy! You will read dozens of pro's for the Bongo here and a few con's but the overiding conclusion is that it is fun and easy to drive!
Bongo National Party - The law-abiding should have rights too!
Peter Price

re bongo that had starting problems

Post by Peter Price » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:46 pm

Hi all,
I am new to the list having bought my Ford Freda just 2 weeks ago from Imperial. Had it for two days and then the battery failed to start the van. So got Europ assist out. The guy who came was from a local garage and he told me to go to the garage, where the electrical technician checked the battery condition, which was OK. He advised a 48 hour trickle charge. Now two weeks later the same thing has happened again and the van failed to start for second time.
Does anyone know what happened with the other guy? What did Imperial find. I want to know, because it might be the same problem. I am a little concerned as I am off tomorrow four 4 days camping to try the van out. Should I take the battery charger and charge up every night?
Tom Cruise
Bongonaut

Re: Help - Newbie with battery probs

Post by Tom Cruise » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:27 pm

Hi,

My only other thought is do you have two batteries in the front, because if any one of the batteries is duff it will bring the other one down after a short while.

But hopefully you are sorted now.
My other cars a Bongo!
bongo dog do da van

Post by bongo dog do da van » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:29 pm

Hi Peter - although the vehicle went back to Imperial and they say they checked it all through - they could not find anything wrong with it despite the fact that it had at that time flattened 2 batteries. They put in a brand new battery - since then I have had no further problems, having said that it is now in daily use as I use it to go to and from work. Since my initial problem I always make sure I have jump leads with me just in case, but it hasnt missed a beat - definitely charges well off the alternator as it charges up the leisure battery too when on a trip as I tend to camp where there is no hook up and keep a strict on the leisure battery so that my fridge doesnt stop working

Return to “Techie Stuff”