1hr 2x battery drain

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

LeCCy

1hr 2x battery drain

Post by LeCCy » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:01 pm

hello everyone

I was out cleaning t'bongo today with the ignition on but not running so I could listen to the radio , when I turned the radio off there was a buzzing noise ( sounded like it was coming from near the fuel tank) which I guess has been there in the hr or so I was outside. Still enough power for the radio but none to start. I have the std winter 2 x batteries so it must be some drain to take them down in an hr.

I will take this to the garage but wondered if anyone had had any similar problem - not long drains like what I have been able to find in the searches - but a rapid drain.?

The batteries are fine, voiltages are all ok and now the van has been running (jump start) batteries are back up and start her no problem. Also the noise has now gone so whatever the problem is is it intermittent (Joy!) :twisted:

Thanks for any help,
Russ
kit

Post by kit » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:33 pm

If you had the ignition on I would expect it to discharge the batteries....your radio should work OK on the first click of the switch i.e. Accessories....hope this helps
moonshine

Post by moonshine » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:09 pm

There would indeed be some small discharge with the ignition on, but nowhere near enough to flatten two healthy batteries in an hour. Two batteries in parallel would equal 150ah at least, so to drain them in an hour would take a continuous 50 to 100 amps. What would you have on board that would be running with the ignition switched on, and drawing that kind of current? Either the batteries are both well on their way out, or there is some serious electrical fault. If I were you LeCCy, I would have a good auto-electrician give it a look over pronto. A discharge like that could cause a fire.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:22 pm

I'd a very similar problem last month with my single main battery setup. I left the ignition on for 30/40 minutes by mistake and the engine wouldn't turn over.

I can only suspect the battery is beyond it's best and the 3 or 4 minutes of glowplug activity drained it enough to give problems.

Suffice to say that I've had no problems since but haven't left the ignition on :? - guess I'll need to replace it in the Autumn
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
jimsmimm

Post by jimsmimm » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:52 pm

I did the same thing as DANDY about a month back and had to jump start the car its never given me any problem since...only thing to add is when the ignition is on the fan is running in the heating system as well.. :(
LeCCy

Post by LeCCy » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:11 pm

Hi guys thanks for the replies.

I did have it on only on the first click, rather than round where the dash lights up.

There was a discernible buzzing from under the beast, down near the fuel tank, I wonder if it is the fuel pumpo or something but I dont know how much current that pulls.

The batteries are fine,she turns over like a dream. Also noise defo wasnt the fan, fan wasnt on.

Ah, a good auto electrican. :roll: Last one I went to I asked him to sort the fuel gauge - told him it needed a new earth as per info round these parts - he returned it to tell me I needed new clocks ( ...which I didnt I needed a new earth so I sorted it myself much to the better halfs astonishment) therefore I am loathe to take it in without having an idea of what it might be.

I guess that there cant be that many things that could drain that much current? I wonder if it was the fuel pump is not clicking off when it has primed?
Dabs
Supreme Being

Post by Dabs » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:18 pm

LeCCy

As a long shot on this,I may be way off here,but

If youre Bongo has two batteries does it mean that it was sourced from the colder parts of Japan.If so could it have a diesel heater somewhere around the tank area.As I say I may be way off with this.Has this never happened before to it.Are there any switches on the dash that have been flicked on by accident.

Good Luck

Dabs
Its Oh so quiet!!..Ex Terra Lucem!!..A Leopard can't change his spots!
LeCCy

Post by LeCCy » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:26 pm

Cheers Dabs ,

I have never heard a heater mentioned in the forums before so I would think not. I didnt see anything like a jacket heater on the top of the tank when I did the earth fault wire anyways. (...or at least nothing that looked like what a jacket would be based on my experience of looking at other people work on them on large diesel gensets)

Was just speaking to a friend who knows one end of a car from t'other ( unlike me) and he thinks that when you switch on the fuel pump will prime ready for starting and then disengage , but maybe for some reason mine didnt disengage. How much current this would draw I dont know.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:38 pm

Hi LeCCy - fuel pump wouldn't be working in the accessory position and, anyway, wouldn't use enough power to flatten 2 batteries in an hour and is situated in the engine bay. You clearly had a massive drain and it's hard to think of any equipment that could cause a drain of roughly 100-150A. It sounds as if you've had a short circuit that no longer exists - did you use a pressure washer that might have got water in to the electrics?
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
LeCCy

Post by LeCCy » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:55 pm

I wish!! Sponge and bucket I am afraid :shock:
brorabongo
Supreme Being

Post by brorabongo » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:00 pm

Dabongo wrote:LeCCy

As a long shot on this,I may be way off here,but

If youre Bongo has two batteries does it mean that it was sourced from the colder parts of Japan.If so could it have a diesel heater somewhere around the tank area.As I say I may be way off with this.Has this never happened before to it.Are there any switches on the dash that have been flicked on by accident.

Good Luck

Dabs
Would that will be the button with a picture of an engine on it? an engine preheat?
ボンゴの激怒 pictures
Run your fingers over my Bongo, and I'll run my Bongo over your fingers!! :twisted:
pippin

Post by pippin » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:56 pm

Yes, it is that button.

No, it does not preheat.

Well, it does, but not by using a heating element.

It closes a valve towards the rear of the exhaust, thereby trapping heat in the engine causing it to get to operating temperature quicker.

The valve opens again when the engine is warmed up, even though the switch is still in the ON position.

It would be fantastic if it did have a heating element at the bottom of the sump, but even so it would drain the battery (ies) too quickly anyway.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:07 am

Your friend who knows one end of the car from t'other doesn't know much about diesels leCCy - the fuel pump is mechanical - (unless you've got a petrol Bongo)........I can't think what would buzz under the van when the "ignition" is switched on :-k
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:26 am

You haven,t got an amplifier connected to the bongo radio have you leccy? they can flatten a battery in an hour or so... but that doesn't explain the buzzing though :?
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
johnzbenson
Bongolier

The source of your current drain

Post by johnzbenson » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:22 am

Aside from perhaps a central locking motor running continually which could cause a significant current draw- and perhaps a buzzing sound. if as you say the ignition is on but without the engine running and if the vehicle you drive is a diesel the solution is more than likely to be the Glow plugs. (Although after reading your second entry this seems unlikely)
if you trawl through the forum threads you will find that although the amber light for glow plugs to be energised extinguishes. the glow plugs are in fact permanently wired in until the temperature in the cylinders is some 50 degrees c or your foot is on the throttle. neither of which if you are cleaning the vehicle. I wonder therfore whether there is a sticking relay- did you perhaps turn the key too far then took it back to accessories only leaving a relay energised? Perhaps we'll never know. the test now should be to have the bonnet open, disconnect the negative off the battery and put an ammeter in line. the current draw should be less than 60 milliamps typically or 0.06Amps if reading off a digital meter. other than that if there is a large current draw this needs to monitored and the fuses should be removed one at a time as a process of elimination, look out for any small flashes as the fuse are removed this is also evidence of current demand. and best of luck. if you do find anything please remember to finish off this thread as it all adds to the pooled knowledge for all Bongo Fury members.
I say, Do You Bongo?....... RATHER!

Return to “Techie Stuff”