1hr 2x battery drain

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:06 am

Sensible advise from johnzbenson methinks. Sometimes (fixing PCs is a definite case in point) its more interesting and 'fun' just to get your tools out (oooh matron) and go on the hunt. Confirming there is a possible large current drain would be a good starting point.

I too get a buzzing noise when I first switch on the ignition. It stops after 15 secs or so (and it doesn't always do it anyway) and it does sound for all the world like it might be a little electric priming thing that is ensuring the fuel pump is primed. But this is only conjecture - I have absolutely no grounds for stating that it IS that. Cant recall, but think I raised it on BF a while back and got some suggestions back, most of them centering on glow plug energising I think, though I'm at a loss to understand why they should make a noise like wot I have been hearing.

It occurs to me. In te age of recording mp3 player, internet etc. there's no reason why one shouldnt try recording sounds and put them up for listening in to and comment on BF. Must add that to the long list of things I ought to try :lol:

Mike 8)
LeCCy

Post by LeCCy » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:13 pm

Ok thanks everyone, I will see how I get on and post if and when I get to the bottom of it.

cheers
Russ
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:23 pm

you're right about the plugs staying on johnbenson but they stay on for less than 2 minutes if the engine isn't started - still enough to give a less than healthy battery a hard time :?
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
2sticks
Bongolier

Post by 2sticks » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:57 am

Ashamed as I am to admit it, I know from experience that a twin battery Bongo, left with the ignition on permenantly for 18 hours,
with the radio on but inaudable, still starts the engine normally without any apparant harm. ( nearly new Halford batteries ).

In my defence, I can only offer the excuse of a senior moment combined with a very full bladder.
Kentish Paul
Bongolier

Post by Kentish Paul » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:56 am

Cannot help I am afraid but can confirm that the Bongo's appetite for batteries seems to be fickle. Last year I found the battery flat on a number of mornings having left Bongo parked for approx 3 - 4 weeks. Earlier this year I went away leaving most of the internal lights on. Bongo started first time !!!

I have read in this forum that leaving a Bongo unlocked could drain current !! ??

Paul
Bongo National Party - The law-abiding should have rights too!

Return to “Techie Stuff”