Found out why our headlamps are so good

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

trevd01

Found out why our headlamps are so good

Post by trevd01 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:33 pm

Lots of people complaining about poor headlamps on Bongos - ours have always been brilliant, which I put down to the different lamps on a new shape.

Idly checking a few things today, thought I would have a look at my headlamp bulbs.

They are illegal PIAA 'Ultra White' 80/80 watts, which combined with the new shape crystal lamps work amazingly well.
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:40 pm

I have had these fitted to my MX5 for years . I keep the headlamps well adjusted!! I was told that they would burn out the wiring but so far so good
Kentish Paul
Bongolier

Post by Kentish Paul » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:04 am

Trevor,

Never mind the type of bulb, just tell me how the hell you got to them !!!

Paul
Bongo National Party - The law-abiding should have rights too!
Vanmanerik

Change bulb

Post by Vanmanerik » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:31 am

Answer below courtesy of http://www.bongoogle.com

Open bonnet, look at rear of headlamp there are three wires going into plastic plug.
Press sides of plug and pull away from headlamp,then pull off black rubber cover.
The bulb is now visible, there is a metal clip that is sprung loaded push it towards the front and move sideways,(sorry cant remember if it`s left or right).
The clip will now swing down and you should be able to remove bulb, reverse order to refit, 5 minuets max to do!

Hope this helps
Kentish Paul
Bongolier

Post by Kentish Paul » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:45 pm

Brilliant! Thanks!
Bongo National Party - The law-abiding should have rights too!
trevd01

Post by trevd01 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:36 pm

Yes, access to the bulbs is really easy compared to other vehicles I have changed bulbs in recent years.

Many have no space behind the headlamp unit to remove the bulb - an AA man once removed the front bumper and grill on my Audi A4 to replace a bulb! (Wrongly as it turns out, two torx screws allowed the whole headlamp unit to slide out)
pippin

Post by pippin » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:39 pm

I am still awaiting the definitive answer on how to change the front winky-winkies on my '99 New Shape Bongo.

I reckon it involves removing the front centre grille, then about five bolts to release the entire lamp unit.

Those who say just one screw on the top of the unit must have a different version to mine.
asallen
Bongonaut

Post by asallen » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:12 pm

Pippin, I also have a 99 facelift model, and you are right about changing the winkers.
Remove front grille and headlamps then winker bulbs easily accesible.
Now I have confirmed you are correct, can we come to some arrangment on the massive discount you will arrnge for me at your hotel!
trevd01

Post by trevd01 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:18 pm

asallen wrote:Pippin, I also have a 99 facelift model, and you are right about changing the winkers.
Remove front grille and headlamps then winker bulbs easily accesible.
You wrote this while I was examining ours...

Grill off, and I could only see three bolts holding the headlamp in, Not that I actually did it, you understand!
Last edited by trevd01 on Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pippin

Post by pippin » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:22 pm

I am only the hired honcho, but I am told that a spell in the kitchen wash-up area can sometimes reduce the bill!

Seriously, it is a very nice hotel, catering 99.99% for the holiday market.

There are often special deals out of season.

Occupancy now is virtually 100% and will be until the end of September, after which right up to our three week annual maintenance shutdown in early December will be about 85% - at a time when virtually everywhere else is closed, boarded up and shuttered.

The food is superb - for the guests, staff lunches don't quite meet the same standard.

Best time to come is just before the October half-term, after which virtually all the tourist attractions shut down.
asallen
Bongonaut

Post by asallen » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:42 pm

You are correct Trev, It's a while since I did change the bulbs.
I could not remember wether it was two or three bolts holding each headlamp in.
What I do remember is that the headlamp bulb connectors were so corroded in place I destroyed both headlamp bulbs taking the connectors off!
Worked out quite expensive!
Timnz
Bongolier

Post by Timnz » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:41 am

Mine were quite dim too, I took them out, found they were ones with a very blue tint to them. Replaced them with the very latest Hella Xenon - ultra 55/50w bulbs, which are 50% brighter than standard 55/60w bulbs (and legal), and what a difference !

Return to “Techie Stuff”