delay in roof lifting and closing

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

chris1805
Apprentice Bongonaut

delay in roof lifting and closing

Post by chris1805 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:28 am

Recently my roof does not lift or close as soon as the switch is pushed. Repeated pushing of the switch, up or down will eventually operate the roof.The handbrake switch is working properly.Engine is on. All lights and alarm seem to be working. Any ideas please.
JulesMartin
Bongolier

Re: delay in roof lifting and closing

Post by JulesMartin » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:57 am

Mine did the same as do the main switches for the rear blinds. I dose the switches with WD40 and it does the trick I think with lack of use the contacts oxidise a bit.
Martin
1996 2.5 TDi Silver pop top unconverted
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:04 am

Yes dirty switches, but please don't use WD40 the grease remains and collects dust and dirt and problem repeats a few months years later!
See this youtube for cleaning them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX1SB0xoJOU
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
JulesMartin
Bongolier

Post by JulesMartin » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:22 pm

g8dhe wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:04 am Yes dirty switches, but please don't use WD40 the grease remains and collects dust and dirt and problem repeats a few months years later!
See this youtube for cleaning them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX1SB0xoJOU
Yep true it is only a temp fix but does allow you to get going without having to pull the switches out. sorry should have made that clearer. if its a proper strip down then electrical contact cleaner all the time!
Martin
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:34 pm

Nah don't worry, although I go on about this its only in the last year I thought I'd better practice what I preach and have stuck a can of Contact Cleaner in the van as well as WD40 ;-) Trouble is my allsorts cupboard is now full to overflowing with all the things its good to have with you but only use once a year or less ;-)
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
JulesMartin
Bongolier

Post by JulesMartin » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:32 pm

g8dhe wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:34 pm Nah don't worry, although I go on about this its only in the last year I thought I'd better practice what I preach and have stuck a can of Contact Cleaner in the van as well as WD40 ;-) Trouble is my allsorts cupboard is now full to overflowing with all the things its good to have with you but only use once a year or less ;-)
This has given me an idea and a solution to a question I've been thinking of asking for a while. what is everybody's dream toolkit. My Bongo is still in original form and likely to stay that way for a while so no real storage but I do like to travel prepared but how much do we all like to travel with and what could we do without? new post coming
Martin
chris1805
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by chris1805 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:05 pm

Thankyou everyone, especially for the video link. 5 min job, now works a treat. There was some grease on the top of the two rocking contact bars, presumably to help with the rocking and some had migrated down onto the electrical contacts.

Return to “Techie Stuff”