Wierd knock that’s driving me mad!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Pauldees
Junior Bongonaut

Wierd knock that’s driving me mad!

Post by Pauldees » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:33 pm

Hi all,
I have a 2000 V6 Auto with 2 faults I could do with some advice on if possible.

When the van is up to temperature , especially on a warm day , it won’t idle properly and cuts out and stalls.

After driving for a while , again weirdly more when it’s a warm day! I start to hear a knock when I brake. Sometimes the knock comes from somewhere near the n/s front wheel area and sometimes both sides! It’s a knock that sounds a bit like when a nut may be loose and the bolt knocks against another metal part , i call it a sound like hitting a suspension arm with a spanner!, I know everyone has knocks and squeaks but I just need to know I’m not damaging anything!
The van has been in to a garage and they couldn’t find anything loose at the front.

I would really appreciate any advice guys.

Thanks in advance

Paul
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Wierd knock that’s driving me mad!

Post by g8dhe » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:08 pm

For the poor idling check out the distributor rotor, cap, EHT cables and sparkplug wells you may find you have oil in them also inspect the insulation at the plug connectors and clean out and dry as required, if there is oil in them take the connector cap off and clean out the oil underneath as well otherwise you may end up with tracking damaging the insulation;

The tapping noise could be your brake pads missing the little springs at the end which otherwise allow the blocks to slide and make a clicking noise the clips are shown in this picture https://mazdabongo.com/product/mazda-bo ... kit-95-03/
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Pauldees
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Pauldees » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:40 pm

Thanks so much for that advice.
I did have the brakes checked a few weeks ago and no fault was found.
Not sure if would be obvious that the clip is missing.

Leads,plugs and such are fairly new and there wasn’t a spec of oil to be seen last time I checked but I will have another look tomorrow.

Thanks again for your time mate!
Katka
Bongolier

Post by Katka » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:48 am

Had a similar problem with the idling of our V6. Replaced all the bits mentioned but it didn't do the trick. What seems to have fixed it was when I found the smallest of leaks in the exhaust, by the flexible bit, and having replace that part the van runs like new. I'm guessing that the hole enlarged when it got hot and started to trick the lambda sensor into misfuelling the engine. At the same time I also used CataClean which might have helped too.
Pauldees
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Pauldees » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:18 pm

Thanks for the reply. Just seen it!
I am away in the van and it’s really playing up now. Hope to limp home pulling a caravan!
Now sounds like it’s lost an ht lead or something.

Return to “Techie Stuff”