Heater only working at 32.0C and not below that....

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

ColMac
Apprentice Bongonaut

Heater only working at 32.0C and not below that....

Post by ColMac » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:26 pm

My 1997 Bongo has decided out to blow hot air if the heater is set at 32.0C. At 31.5C and below it blows cold air. I have checked to see all the actuators working on both footwells as the controls are moved. But for some reason it moves too far every time the controller is adjust e below maximum. Is there a sensor somewhere which could have gone?

Engine coolant etc is all working fine.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Heater only working at 32.0C and not below that....

Post by g8dhe » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:01 pm

Yes at 18 and 32 the control mechanisms are overridden and max. cooling / heating is selected, see here for the sensor https://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum ... =3&t=52877 quite often they get blocked up this might be the problem, but there are other possibilities as well.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:43 am

Do different modes/vents combination give different heat flows?

I say this as my Bongo heats up in the front and rear but when the mode is on the arrow for the dash vents only the temperature of the air is cooler, all the gubbins is working in the footwell and the levers change as the mode is cycled, if footwell and vent is chosen the footwell air is warm and the dash vent is cooler. Looking back on the Forum some 10 years ago a similar post stated their's did the same and some others concurred. Rather than take the sensor apart I squirted some compressed air into the housing to clear any debris or dust in there (hopefully).
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:02 am

Just looked in the handbook, it states 'to let warm air coming out of the leg area and the cool air from the upper body area, select the Upper body/Lower mode and set temperature at around 25.'

It also states: setting the temperature at 16 will automatically operate the AC and setting the temperature at 32 will automatically operate the heater.

Use the 'recirculated air mode' initially to warm up the vehicle faster.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
al & chris
Tribal Elder

Post by al & chris » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:25 am

In the dash there is a sensor. Think it is below heater controls centre bottom left. Can't look now don't have bongo anymore.
This sensor can be taken out and cleaned. A lot of fluff accumulates in front of it. That should cure problem, had to clean ours a couple of times over the years for same problem.

Return to “Techie Stuff”