Handbrake warning light staying on after adjustment

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

knpenny
Bongolier

Handbrake warning light staying on after adjustment

Post by knpenny » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:43 pm

hi there after a handbrake adjustment the handbrake warning light stays on for a maybe 10 seconds of driving or 100 meters whichever is quickest. would this suggest that i have a faulty handbrake switch?
Bongology, the study of all things bong. The bongologist. :shock:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Handbrake warning light staying on after adjustment

Post by g8dhe » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:09 pm

Usual problem with the handbrake switch is the opposite with poor contact as the contacts are exposed and very simply constructed!
The switch is down the passenger side of the handbrake at the rear;
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:20 pm

thanks for the pic. do you think i will need to replace it or do you think its ok?
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:41 pm

I'd give the contacts a little clean. :wink:
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:39 am

the hand brake should not be adjusted up too far, from memory i think the handbook says about 8 clicks, this usually seems too slack for mot stations and has caused issues at test time with both mine in the past.
to my mind lots of cable movement and mechanical movement spells not seized handbrake so thats how i set em up, it can feel odd though up to the more modern cars with less movement.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:25 am

knpenny wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:20 pm thanks for the pic. do you think i will need to replace it or do you think its ok?
Its unlikely to be broken, so no just inspect what's going on and use a meter to test, its possible something is bridging the contacts rather than actually faulty itself.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:47 am

Its possible that in tightening up slack in the cable that you've pulled previously unsheathed inner cable into the outer cable, or else otherwise introduced a previously unexercised bit of the handbrake geometry, resulting in slight binding of the cable setup so that it isn't fully/immediately returning to the slack position. I doubt its causing serious handbrake binding but you could check this by jacking up wheel(s) and turning the wheel before and after handbrake applied. This will mean chocking front wheels first (using the supplied chocks in the wheel changing kit) so vehicle can't move whilst jacked with brake off. Whatever, something like wd40 squirted into cable ends (and then maybe 3 in 1 oil or even a suitable grease - but perhaps techies on here can advise if that might not be a good idea with cables) and electrical contact cleaner on the switch should be worth trying. Did you just adjust the cable at the handbrake end? I ask because when i did mine years ago i found i got a good result by first adjusting the star adjusters in each brake drum, then the adjuster on each section underneath the car, then (if still necessary) the adjuster by the handbrake.
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:55 pm

Thanks everybody for your replies. it was set between 6 and 7 clicks before adjustment. being a mechanic like you say northern bongolow , i just assumed it was too slack. however, on hills it was not holding too well. have cleaned the contact on electrical side and i think i will give the cable a bit of lube.

also will adjust at the drum with the star adjustment like advised. should be fine with that.

again thanks very much for the advise. i really should have joined the forum back in august when i got the bongo. :roll:

[-o< :D
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:26 pm

On our Mazda 323f of the same era, the handbrake light would also come on when the brake fluid was low. Like yours, it would go off after a short run, presumably as the fluid sloshed around. Might be worth a check.
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:10 pm

Will definitely check that too. dont want to lose brakes into the back of somone [-X thank you :-D
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:48 pm

Just an update the fluid is at a good level, just needs the adjustment from the drums.

I downloaded the guide in the members area. So glad i joined the members site as i now have tonnes of great info and basically my very own workshop manual printed with all the info i need.

Thanks again for all the info peeps =D>

Return to “Techie Stuff”