2.0 petrol valve clearance

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

knpenny
Bongolier

2.0 petrol valve clearance

Post by knpenny » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:46 pm

Hi there i was wondering if you have the valve clearance settings for the petrol 2.0 engine as i am getting organised for an engine rebuild from the head up. i joined the members site so i have the timing diagram which is great but no settings for valve clearances. would be greatly appreciated [-o<
Also do you have any idea where i could find the tensioner for the air con belt? thanks kindly
Bongology, the study of all things bong. The bongologist. :shock:
teenmal
Supreme Being

Re: 2.0 petrol valve clearance

Post by teenmal » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:45 am

You need to check the actual engine that is fitted to this vehicle . If original it has Hydraulic Lash Adjusters (No Clearance) if you need to replace them the PN is JFY112100

Take Care
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:15 pm

thats excellent teenmal. thank you very much. it is an origional and year 2000. sometimes when it is warming up i get a ticking noise but it goes away very quickly. would that suggest they should be changed? or should i not worry about that i.e its normal? [-o<
again thanks very much for the reply loads of help. =D>
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:26 am

It is quite common for this (HLA) system to give a ticking noise until they heat up a wee bit. You will be having these adjuster inspected when they do the rebuild, they will also clear the galleries at the same time I would leave it up to the mechanic. The oil filter and oil should be changed at the same time.

Take Care
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:53 am

Don't often hear of the 2.0l needing attention to the head. Out of interest, whats caused it to need one. Are you doing the rebuild yourself?

Hopefully teenmal can advise on where to locate the tensioner for the aircon belt.
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:15 pm

thanks to both of you for your responses. I was considering a rebuild and i`am the mechanic but now opted for sorting out the leaking rocker gasket and of course the inlet manifold gasket/s also since i`will be there at the same time as changing the belt.

no problem with the head but was considering it as a extra job whilst near the timing cos i live in france now so need to take every preventitive precaution possible.
i know the 2.5s suffer alot from gasket failures but like you mentioned i havent seen it yet on the 2.0s (which is nice)

I got 2 belts ordered ac and aux and the 3 gaskets 2 inlet and the rocker from bongoland and ive ordered the full timing kit (pump belt tensioners and spring) from auto jap parts and will be comencing renew in about 2-4 weeks when they are all here in france. i got them sent to my brothers garage in scotland and he can forward it all for very little compared to the places i ordered them from.

As for the rocker cover gasket i read on the forum that i should use a sealant. is this true? If so do you recomend a particular kind of sealant? I can get a good sealant we use at my work at Renault in france that we use for resealing timing covers on their 1.6 petrol and diesel engines but any recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

once again thanks very much for the replies and hope to speak to you again soon =D> :D
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:08 pm

Hi just an update on the pulley for the air con belt. i have located one from mazdabongo.com via the advert. had just bought 2 inlet gaskets the rocker gasket both aux and ac belt and popped a question in about the pulley. they got back rapid with good news.

will cost 94.60 delivered but its also a revised part (which is reassuring).

so all in all timing belt pulley tensioner and water pump 124.95, the 2 belts ac and aux 25bucks, full service kit filters 38.95 the 3 gaskets 65quid and the pulley in the very near future(hopefully tomorrow) 94.60 (getting all lubes for free :-$) just shy of 350. 348.50 spondaggios.

cant wait to get stuck in to it in april. \:D/

so if you need a specific part (like the pulley) mazdabongo.com the place to ask.
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:10 pm

Oh yeah forgot to re ask. do i need sealant with the rocker cover gasket? :-k

thanks in advance
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:26 pm

Good write up here

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=73635&p=691897&hili ... ke#p691897

Suggests silicon sealer is best. Doing mine when weather warms up.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:08 pm

=D> awesome thank you very much. I get some really strong stuff at work for sealing timing covers on 1.6 petrol and diesel renaults, the new ones. Its silicone based and very tough. I will get the name of it posted to you tomorrow.
good luck and like yourself i am awaiting some better weather.

not sure how it is back in britain but its bloody freezing here in france. -7 today and i am not even in the mountains.

thanks again for the post :D
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:23 pm

The stuff I saw recommended on car restoration forums was produced under the name Wurth. I read the it’s wise to avoid excessive amounts as it can block internal oil ways etc. But being a mechanic I guess you are aware of that one. Just enough as they say.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:27 pm

Very wise, i suppose its wurth a look (pun intended)
thanks for the tip. also been reading into wellseal gasket varnish along with the silicone gasket.
picey but good stuff always is :roll:
thanks again =D>
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:18 pm

hello again, teenmal especially, when my engine compartment is open inside, i have a constant ticking noise (not like the loud one that goes away after a few seconds) its more constant, do you think thats the lifters or is this normal for the 2.0s. Its in time with the cam spinning(goes with engine speed from the top of the engine)
You cant hear it when the covers are down from inside or out but its quite obvious when the engine is exposed from inside. Also if possible could you supple the dimensions (diameter and height) of the adjusters JFY112100 and a pic cos i seem to be getting a vast veriaty of different shapes and sizes for the same part number. Sorry to be a pain.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and kind regards.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:39 pm

Personally I would be more concerned of the Loud noise that goes away after a few seconds, it might also be related to the other noise that you are experiencing.
It would probably be worth checking the oil pressure. Re the HLA you would be safer physically checking them yourself as this particular engine is very dated and you don't know the history.
This is the Gen Mazda HLA.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Mazd ... 0290.m3507

Take Care
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:01 pm

Hi again thanks for the info, oil pressure seems fine and thats the same ticking noise as the earlier post on this subject, its not too loud, thankfully.
Thanks for the pic that helps a great deal for future reference. I return to scotland (livingston, not too far from north lanarkshire) for a family visit next thursday and will be picking up all the parts previously ordered (was getting my my brother to post them but the snow buggered that idea) :roll: so when i return the week after i will be able to get the cam cover off and take a look. :shock:

Thanks for all the help teenmal, :D dont know enough about these engines yet but hope to know as much as i can.

Return to “Techie Stuff”