Sliding Door Central Locking Actuator

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Sliding Door Central Locking Actuator

Post by g8dhe » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:47 am

Also worth cleaning the door contacts the lower two recessed pins operate the door lock the upper three handle the auto closing etc. Use a plastic kitchen cleaner or a fine emery cloth to clean both sets of contacts - but be aware they are live at all times so don't use wire wool or metal or you will pop the fuse!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:51 am

This vid might be helpful to some peeps....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4i2eO1CA24
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:16 pm

teenmal wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:51 am This vid might be helpful to some peeps....

What a fantastic video, and a great find teenmal. =D> =D> =D>
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:53 pm

mikeonb4c wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:16 pm
teenmal wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:51 am This vid might be helpful to some peeps....

What a fantastic video, and a great find teenmal. =D> =D> =D>

Seek and You Shall Find, its all out there and its Free.
captain_badger
Junior Bongonaut

Post by captain_badger » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:07 pm

Thanks for the advice folks.

I had managed to prove that a pulse of voltage was getting past the door contacts, so I'm pretty confident that the motor was at fault. Especially after completely removing the motor from the mechanism, but still having it connected electrically and locking the driver's door. The motor gave a tiny puff of smoke as it spun its last feeble attempt.

I've got a replacement Mabuchi motor on the way from China that looks almost identical, apart from a very slight difference in the positioning of the contacts which I'm hoping won't interfere too much with how it fits in the housing. Might need a bit of a custom solder and wiring job to integrate it properly. I'm also assuming that it runs at the same RPM as the original - the model has been touted as a good replacement for other C/L solenoids for various makes and models of cars so it looks like there's a bit of a standard. It's certainly worth a punt anyway. Once it arrives I'll update. If it works it will definitely be worth the £1.65.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:13 pm

V interesting post captain_badger and look forward to hearing how it goes.
captain_badger
Junior Bongonaut

Post by captain_badger » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:54 pm

Success! My ebay motor worked a treat. I've already bought another 5 for future use, I'm going to assume that the Passenger door and Boot use the same one so it made sense to have a few spares. This is the one I got, but there are plenty of them around.

Dimensions-wise it's a direct replacement or the one in our Bongo, but the terminals are different. They're buried inside the plastic housing and I think you're supposed to use some kind of push-in connection. I had to chop away at the plastic and solder on some wires to extend to the existing wiring. It's messy but it works:

Image 1

Image 2

It was a bit of a pain to get the brass screw off the shaft of the old motor. I managed that by jamming it in a vice and heating the screw with a soldering iron, while pulling it with a pair of pliers. it came off eventually. Simple enough to hammer it on to the new motor.

Image 3

All fitted back inside the casing, with a generous helping of white grease. One thing to note about these motors is that the terminals are reversed compared to the existing ones. The yellow wire originally went to the furthest terminal. I had to find this out the hard way, and bring it back inside to re-solder.

Once it's all back where it should be it works great, so I'm guessing it spins at the same rate as the old one as it hasn't over-rotated and broken. Happy days! Being tight has paid off in this case. :lol:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:38 am

Great result and i admire your enterprise =D>

Return to “Techie Stuff”