Misfiring on LPG and Petrol

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Misfiring on LPG and Petrol

Post by Jim the Box » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:15 pm

Came home from Islay today and my bongo started misfiring, only on acceleration and low revs, as soon as I was above
2000 revs it seemed to run fine, the fault is there on petrol and LPG, was thinking of replacing the rotor arm, and distributor cap, or should I replace all the leads as well, Autojapspares are doing a kit for £160 for the lot, assume they are not genuine Mazda parts has anyone used them with success. Are there any other HT leads out there anyone can recommend that are of good quality, for a decent price.
Also I have noticed my front suspension has started to Knock/creak a bit is this a sign the droplinks are starting to fail.

Jim.....
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Re: Misfiring on LPG and Petrol

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:46 pm

I changed my sparkies .. dizzy cap .. rotor arm with OEM parts but bulked at the price of the OEM Mazda leads and used 'guaranteed for life' pattern leads ..

Closed the plug gap to 1.mm and found a dramatic improvement ..

It's more of a fiddley job to do .. like getting the dizzy cap and rotor off / on .. than physicaly demanding ..

JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:31 pm

Jim, mine started doing that and I just changed plugs and it was fine again after that.
Knocking noise could be a sign of the drop links or anti roll bar bushes. I did mine, much better but I think I have a shocker knocking as well now.
Do what you like.Like what you do.
Getcarter
Bongolier

Post by Getcarter » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:37 pm

I had that on my V6, had the leads changed and it fixed it. Genuine Mazda ones are pretty pricey though
V6 Tintop with LPG
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:54 pm

Looking at magnecor leads, £145 top of the range leads 10 year guarantee, plugs changed 3 months ago, I still have the old plugs so I may clean them, set them to a 1mm gap and give them a try. Van is booked at a garage on friday for an inspection of droplinks/bushes etc. Thanks for the info, will update results on friday. Great pictures Mike, thanks for posting, great help.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:05 pm

You're looking at around £194 if you replace all 7 leads with genuine Mazda ones. Mine seemed fine but I replaced them anyway with original parts on the basis that if they had lasted 10+ years so far, a set of the same type and quality should be good for the same amount of time again.

Have you considered getting LPG-specific plugs? I went for NGK Laserline which are funky iridium tipped jobbies. Can't say if they make an significant difference but with gas you need the best spark you can get ,and compared to the cost of the conversion, a set of quality plugs seems like a good investment.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:15 pm

Good point .. as the seats / floor as to come out of my Estima I use iridium plugs in her (every four years ..

As the V6 Bongo are so easy to get at / replace ...

I use normal (cheaper) NGK .. but change them each year ..

JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:02 pm

Simon, looking at Iridium spark plugs I assume that's what you have fitted, do you have any idea of the part no of them for the bongo v6 or do you have any info for a website where I can source them.
Regarding my suspension problem I could not find what was causing the creaking/knocking sound however popped down to my local garage and mechanic lubricated the anti roll links and the sound disappeared
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:06 pm

NGK LPG1 is the correct size. I think this was the place I got them from: http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/ngk-iridium ... oCmXPw_wcB
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:54 pm

Thanks Simon, seem value for money as they don,t need replacing very often, and as they perform better with LPG systems I plan to fit them along with a set of new HT leads.

Jim.

P.s seems as though I had a dry bush on anti roll links, causing creaking, lubricant cured problem.
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:12 pm

You've gotta watch that Jim, a dry bush can lead to very unpleasant consequences :lol:
Do what you like.Like what you do.
the laird
Supreme Being

Post by the laird » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:33 pm

Stuc keep it clean ! Joins a good living lad ? :D
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:29 pm

Stu I used a Teflon based oil not vasoline. :oops:
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:19 pm

Had mangnecor (HT lead supplier) on the phone today asking if it's seven leads or six leads I require as there are two different types of bongo sets available. Simon has already posted he fitted seven leads I assume all V6 models are the same and I also need seven leads. 1996 2.5 v6 model.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:58 pm

It's worth replacing the king lead as it carries the power to all 6 cylinders so is the weak link in the chain. As I recall, it's 20cm long if that helps narrow it down.

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html

£18 from club shop for Mazda part if you get stuck.

Return to “Techie Stuff”