Parking Restrictions in Great Yarmouth

Moderator: francophile1947

garywbrooks
Bongonaut

Parking Restrictions in Great Yarmouth

Post by garywbrooks » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:42 pm

Hi

I was wondering whether you guys have come across this problem?

I've got a Ford Freda and the only addition to it, since it left the factory, is an attached roof awning on its side. I've used my Bongo for 5 years now as my 'family car'. A People Carrier if you will. Anyway, after a lovely holiday on a boat on the Norfolk Broads we spent the last day in Great Yarmouth. We parked up in a small council car park for 2 hours and on our return, we had been issues with a PCN (a parking ticket). The reason stated for giving the ticket was my Bongo was parked in an area restricted for cars and vans only.

The Council Parking Services have stated the car park is restricted to cars and vans only. So no caravans, lorries, trailers, coaches, motorhomes or campervans. I have contested the PCN, saying my Bongo is not a campervan. They have stated "that as Bongo's can be converted into campervans, they are classed as campervans".

Have you guys had similar problems? My advice is stay clear of Great Yarmouth and spend your tourism money in other more welcoming towns.
Ian
Supreme Being

Re: Parking Restrictions in Great Yarmouth

Post by Ian » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:56 pm

What is it your vehicle classified as on your log book? Does it say "Motor Caravan"? Or is it "Private Light Goods (PLG)"?
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:42 pm

Yep, that's what this case hinges on.

To say it " Could be converted" means nowt.

I could be converted...
garywbrooks
Bongonaut

Post by garywbrooks » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:42 pm

Ian wrote:What is it your vehicle classified as on your log book? Does it say "Motor Caravan"? Or is it "Private Light Goods (PLG)"?
Hi, it says "Private Light Goods (PLG)". I gave a scan of my Logbook to Great Yarmouth Parking Services and they said this was not evidence as some Bongo owners change their vans and do not tell the DVLA.
garywbrooks
Bongonaut

Post by garywbrooks » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:47 pm

From the Great Yarmouth Parking Services

"Further to the points raised, the PCN was correctly issued to vehicle
N36HNP as it was parked in an area that specifically prohibits that type of vehicle, a
campervan. Other vehicles prohibited, as listed on the signs in the Fullers Hill car
park, are caravans, trailers, lorries and coaches. These restrictions are in place due
to the size of the spaces in the car park - larger vehicles do not fit into them and
then tend to encroach onto other spaces and the driving/ walking areas, potentially
creating hazards.

Also, the restriction of these vehicles is implemented on safety grounds - camping
vehicle and caravan users have disposed of chemical toilet and domestic waste at
the car parks on occasion, causing health hazards and the closure of the car parks.
When the enforcement officer observed vehicle N36HNP in the Fullers Hill car park
they were obliged to issue the PCN.

The Ford Freda/ Mazda Bongo type of vehicle is often converted to incorporate
cooking facilities, washing facilities, seat/ bed conversions, side awnings, roof
sleeping etc– whilst vehicle owners may not have registered conversions with the
DVLA, inspecting officers must make visual assessments as to what criteria vehicles
may come under. In this case evidence suggests that vehicle N36HNP has been
converted for camping purposes and would qualify as a campervan/ motorhome.

The appeal grounds provided have been considered but unfortunately we are unable
to cancel the PCN on these grounds. "
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:52 pm

Off to court, then. :evil:

If it's not converted let them try and prove it is.

I'd take Bongy to court as evidence.
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:20 pm

Parking enforcement is a reason to print money and to exploit the unwary.
10 years ago we got fined because the wife bought a ticket from the wrong machine (the nearest), this did not cover where we parked.
There are a number of places on the suffolk norfolk coast that operate campervan exclusion policy, or exclusion times. I parked in one walked with swmbo to a chip shop spotted the sign read and disbelieved. Caught the attention of a warden walking towards the van, he said move 300 yds into a non restricted area. The problem is a minorty of motorhome owners extracting the xxxx.
Inland some car parks have Motorhome designated spaces, could i park a bongo and trailer in that space, physically but within their rules?
what is a campervan? what is a Motorhome , DVLA has only motorhome.
sorry to put it this way but their rules are intended to catch the unwary, those that intend to be legal ie your self, they dont care about the little man or sub groups. In the 80's police used to stop motorcyclists going to Skeg. When a copper insisted I turn around I asked which of them was going to pick my wife up from her nans, sense prevailed.
garywbrooks
Bongonaut

Post by garywbrooks » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:20 am

Yes, As I feared.. Just another tax!
marionw
Bongolier

Post by marionw » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:13 pm

You really need to fight this.

If your vehicle is not converted then the parking ticket was issued wrongly.

I can't see how they can win this case. Bongos easily fit into parking spaces and do not take up more room.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:45 pm

I wonder if the local press might be interested. 8)
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:48 pm

I would appeal it.
I visited Leppe Beach and was issued with a ticket, I tried to point out too the guy that there was an error on the PCN and in any case here was the ticket that had blown onto the vehicle floor((no sticky stuff) he was having non of it. I wrote to the council and pointed out I had a ticket (copy enclosed) and that the PCN issued carried the previous days date, they were having none of it either so it went to appeal.
The adjudicator looked at the ticket and immediately struck it out. He then went on to tell the council guy that there was little merit in pursuing cases like this and that he should have known better.
I agreed. :D

Return to “Eastern Counties”