OUTBACK AUTOS nr Kings Lynn **Highly Recommended**

Moderator: francophile1947

Mrs Feynmans Bongos
Bongonaut

OUTBACK AUTOS nr Kings Lynn **Highly Recommended**

Post by Mrs Feynmans Bongos » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:41 pm

http://www.outbackautos.co.uk, 01485 520007, Steve DREWERY, [email protected]
Walcups Lane, Great Massingham, Kings Lynn, NORFOLK, PE32 2HR

I can certainly recommend Steve for his recent tricky work on my 2.5 V6.
After a faultless 2 years since import, it was suddenly Idling poorly. I was desperate: efforts by myself and a local servicer with consumables (filters, plugs, service, HT leads, dizzy, rotor arm, battery) had been to no avail with the Idling, then the Radiator blew :( Cue Steve ...
  • I rang out of the blue (one Friday). After his dinner, he rang back for a 15min chat.
  • I emailed him full details and recent history. Despite being busy, he quoted for recovery and Radiator
  • (+1 week) Steve recovered my Bongo one evening
  • (+1 week) Radiator replaced, Valve Timing Issues suspected, in long chat advises could be major eg Head.
  • (+1 week) Timing investigated, Cambelt cover removed, nest found, belt 2 teeth out, tensioner weak. Despite weekly usage, a bird had nested inside my ill-fitted Cambelt cover, causing belt to jump upsetting the timing (so poor Idling, misfire) and possibly Temperature (blown Radiator, boiled).
  • (+5 weeks due to my suppliers) Cambelt, Cover and Tensioner (2nd one, from USA) fitted, road test good, MOT passed.
As advised at the outset, as a one-man-band, Steve fitted this in around other work. He updated me with progress by phone and email, including some very patient "what if" chats. He always pointed out options for the next step, gave realistic labour estimates, got advice when it got really tricky, and allowed me to source parts. When I picked it up and finally met Steve, I felt like I knew him already!

("Mention in despatches" MO'S of FENSTANTON. Recovered to them after Radiator blew, they suspected head problems but were unable to source a Rad other than from Mazda. When they also told me they had not done major/diagnostic work on Bongos, we agreed they should stop. VERY fairly they did not charge.)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: OUTBACK AUTOS nr Kings Lynn **Highly Recommended**

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:52 pm

Mrs Feynmans Bongos wrote:http://www.outbackautos.co.uk, 01485 520007, Steve DREWERY, [email protected]

After a faultless 2 years since import, it was suddenly Idling poorly. I was desperate: efforts by myself and a local servicer with consumables (filters, plugs, service, HT leads, dizzy, rotor arm, battery) had been to no avail with the Idling, then the Radiator blew :( Cue Steve ...
  • I rang out of the blue (one Friday). After his dinner, he rang back for a 15min chat.
  • I emailed him full details and recent history. Despite being busy, he quoted for recovery and Radiator
  • (+1 week) Steve recovered my Bongo one evening
  • (+1 week) Radiator replaced, Valve Timing Issues suspected, in long chat advises could be major eg Head.
  • (+1 week) Timing investigated, Cambelt cover removed, nest found, belt 2 teeth out, tensioner weak. Despite weekly usage, a bird had nested inside my ill-fitted Cambelt cover, causing belt to jump upsetting the timing (so poor Idling, misfire) and possibly Temperature (blown Radiator, boiled).
  • (+5 weeks due to my suppliers) Cambelt, Cover and Tensioner (2nd one, from USA) fitted, road test good, MOT passed.
As advised at the outset, as a one-man-band, Steve fitted this in around other work. He updated me with progress by phone and email, including some very patient "what if" chats. He always pointed out options for the next step, gave realistic labour estimates, got advice when it got really tricky, and allowed me to source parts. When I picked it up and finally met Steve, I felt like I knew him already!

("Mention in despatches" MO'S of FENSTANTON. Recovered to them after Radiator blew, they suspected head problems but were unable to source a Rad other than from Mazda. When they also told me they had not done major/diagnostic work on Bongos, we agreed they should stop. VERY fairly they did not charge.)
Sounds like a great outcome, and another good Bongo fixer to add to the database =D>
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:42 pm

Great news that this one has had a Happy solution and is still back on the road again. It was a long saga and a very interesting and strange one.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
Markas
Bongolier

Post by Markas » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:57 pm

Mrs Feynmans Bongos wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:41 pm http://www.outbackautos.co.uk, 01485 520007, Steve DREWERY, [email protected]

+1 for this recommendation. When I first got my Bongo as a trade sale this summer I got Steve to give it the once-over and replace the cambelt. He was very thorough, also diagnosing a leaky power steering rack which he changed, and the start of splits to the lower ball joint dust covers which we left for the time being as the splits are minimal.
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion

Return to “Eastern Counties”