Hi all a new member from the Herts/Beds Area................

Moderator: francophile1947

RickUK
Apprentice Bongonaut

Hi all a new member from the Herts/Beds Area................

Post by RickUK » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:56 pm

Hello Folks,just thought i would introduce myself i go by the name of 'Rick' and have done for many a long year exactly i am not telling :) i am also called many other names as well but i cannot mention them as it is a family based forum.

Live on the Herts/Beds border and have been looking at buying a Bongo as i do alot of metal detecting and this vehicle ticks all the boxes,so over the coming months i am looking at all the various option but the diesel 4x4 version is the ideal model but as i understand it they are as rare as hens teeth :?

As i carry i fair amount of equipment and the abilty to be able to sleep in it for say a long weekend detecting dig is very appealing,so i hope you dont mind me asking various questions about the Bongo over the coming months or so.

Well thats a bit about me and hope to be posting a fair amount over time.
M 80NGO
Supreme Being
Location: Usually in My own wibbly wobbly lill world ! Otherwise Huntingdon.

Re: Hi all a new member from the Herts/Beds Area............

Post by M 80NGO » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:04 pm

Welcome Rick, I,m in Cambridgeshire if you want to have a guided tour of my bongo and a lesson in where to look and what for when buying a bongo, there are plenty out there so take your time and get the right one for your needs.

Peter
lazyb5
Tribal Elder

Post by lazyb5 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:11 pm

Hi Rick and welcome to the mad world of the Bongo.
There are loads and loads of 4x4 diesels out there, the rarer is the 2 wheel version.
You can also sleep in a tintop but obviously can't stand up in it :D
As Peter says take your time find out what to look for and get the right one for you.
Good luck
RickUK
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by RickUK » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:21 pm

Peter,thanks mate that is a very nice offer i may take you up on it in the next month or so,would that be afir to assume that your forum username is your registration no on your Bongo ???

The reason i was thinking a 4x4 version is the fact that when i go detecting most weekends we park on the edge of a farmers field although its not very often but the 4 wheel drive option would give me some piece of mind if was ever needed it,i have to admit i cannot remember the last time i got stuck but you never can tell.

I was speaking to a dealer who said that as a result of the engine being mounted in the middle and being rear wheel drive i should not have too much problem especially if i use off road tyres but of course this is still early days as yet and putting those type of tyre on could well have a drastic affect on handling.

Thanks for the welcome.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:25 pm

there are a few detector guys on here that use them well, they should be along soon.
RickUK
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by RickUK » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:47 pm

@Northern Bongolow,as you have mentioned a few have them,and most of them have guided me towards this Bongo forum :)
M 80NGO
Supreme Being
Location: Usually in My own wibbly wobbly lill world ! Otherwise Huntingdon.

Post by M 80NGO » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:37 pm

No rick M 80ngo isn't my number plate wish it was though :lol: I'm located in Huntingdon as is Mikexgough, i maintain and pamper l'oreal ( my Bongo) with the help of the guys n girls on here, someone will always have the answer to any queries that you may have no matter how complex or trivial, i'd personally say that with your hobby 4x4 is defo the way to go yes the 2wd is a good reliable tool for most types of surface but if you know that you van is going to spend time off road then a 4x4 just gives that extra dimension also helps with the winter months and are very sure footed tow vehicles.

RickUK
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by RickUK » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:03 pm

lazyb5 wrote:Hi Rick and welcome to the mad world of the Bongo.
There are loads and loads of 4x4 diesels out there, the rarer is the 2 wheel version.
You can also sleep in a tintop but obviously can't stand up in it :D
As Peter says take your time find out what to look for and get the right one for you.
Good luck
Well i have to admit i am amazed really as i would have thought the 4x4 version was the more desirable,so why do people prefer the 2 wheel drive version is the transmission on the 4x4 bad or has it something to do with handling ??? of course i wont complain as that is the model that i am looking for.

So what would be the best engine option as i had though about diesel but with the price well over taking the price of petrol i am having 2nd thoughts.Someone suggested the V6 version but was not sure about that but then was highlighted the fact that you can convert them over to gas but then the price of the conversion could well out way the price of petrol by a few years use.

One thing i am intersted to find out regarding the Bongo when in camper van mode is i am fully aware about the bedding,kitcken and the other creature comforts but what about toilet facilities like the good old reliable Porta Potty how to you add one of them into the conversion ??? please note it will only be me sleeping in the Bongo as my wife thinks i am mad going away detecting for the day or bank holidays but the toilet facility would be nice :) So what do other use bearing in mind i would only be camping on a farmer field without any amenities.

Sorry to be asking questions but after this post i will expand into the rest of the forum.
lazyb5
Tribal Elder

Post by lazyb5 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:17 pm

Hi rick just to clarify
2.5 litre Diesel engine 4x4 or 2 wheel drive
2.5 litre petrol V6 engine only 2 wheel drive
2.0 litre petrol engine 4 cylinder only 2 wheel drive.
I think there are more 4x4 than 2 wheel drive in the Diesel engined models.
As for loos I have seen a coupe in conversions but not many.
I've left mine with 8 seats as it is very versatile for moving people, items or just having loads of legroom.
I would certainly have a look at Peters and if you want to look at a tintop I'm just north of Peterborough.pm me if you want to have a look
Once the bug bites though you won't rest till you buy one just take it slow as I was lucky I just bought one without really knowing about them.
Good luck
Clive
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:58 pm

Loos ?
Its a stool !
Its step ladder to the AFT !
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Eastern Counties”