In a quandary about my Bongo

[email protected]
Apprentice Bongonaut

In a quandary about my Bongo

Post by [email protected] » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:34 pm

I have had my First Bongo for a year and 3 months now. It is a 1995 Bongo Friendee 2.5TD with a manual gearbox and it has proven itself to be great for festivals and re-enacting and is a real pleasure to drive. My wife loves the height and it is comfortable to sleep in on campsite. Okay, I have had to spend money on a new radiator, new hoses, and it cost me £1200 to get through the mot, but it has been otherwise a good experience. That was until I clipped a telegraph pole when reversing in a street I was not so familiar with in Dorset. It has taken me a couple of months and I have now got a full costing of what needs to be done to put it right and have a bit of a list for what may come up on the MOT next year. It is not worth going for the insurance claim as they will just right it off, and for the prospective money I would spend I could get a more recent model Bongo which I was planning to do over the next couple of years anyway. I tried selling but the interested parties offered me a bit above right off value, when it has not been written off and has an mot up to next June. The engine and gearbox are sound and dependable, though in need of a service. The front and interior seating are in good condition and make a comfortable double bed. The pop-top and the doors all work. I am aware it is worth more for its parts than as a restoration project. I have a second car so I am in no rush to sell, but I am hoping I could get a little more advice.

E in Cardiff
Ian
Supreme Being

Re: In a quandary about my Bongo

Post by Ian » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:13 pm

So what needs doing on the vehicle exactly?
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:23 pm

Hi, welcome to BF. 8)

Trouble is you've told us you can buy a newer Bongo for less £££ than getting yours repaired, and that's without buying it, so why wouldn't anyone else just buy the newer one?

Don't mean to sound unhlpful, just my thoughts. :wink:
[email protected]
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by [email protected] » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:41 pm

Thanks for interest. The Bongo needs pulling and bodywork to rear driver side and the back door needs straightening out. It is black so respray is cheap. But when I got the garage near me that does regular work on two Bongos to give it a thorough going over they also spotted a rusty fuel line (not leaking) and stated by the time mot comes round some bits of welding will probably need doing also. The gear box is biting a little high, but is adjustable. I do not have a drive to take the van off the road to do some of the work myself so it is all garage. It does need a service and was due that before the lampost incident. I have spent a good amount so far but am wondering if it is worth me spending more just to get back to where I was before the knock.

Ian
JulesMartin
Bongolier

Post by JulesMartin » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:44 am

There is no real definitive answer is there. it's always going to be a tug between head and heart. I'm newly into Bongoing after selling my VW T25 camper. I got £4k from the sale of the VW and that is my budget for my restoration project. it was my intention to buy a "Sold for spares or repairs" for £1k with the rest of the budget for doing up and converting to a camper van interior. Only three months in and I have already spent more on the van than I suspect I would get for it if I put it up for sale. if your repair work is going to cost more than the van is worth, then you're going to have to make a heart decision. maybe put it up for sale and go for the one you fancy and cut your loses.
Martin
1996 2.5 TDi Silver pop top unconverted
[email protected]
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by [email protected] » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:37 pm

Thanks for advice - I bought it for £3000 and spent £2000 but I think I will sell it and cut my losses. I am sure someone needs the parts.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:34 pm

Worth contacting Bongo Spares and Ian Taylor (Stoke) to see what they offer.

Don't know how they will compare with a private 'spares or repair' sale, but you won't be bothered by idiots. :wink:

Return to “Wales/Cymru”