Viv's arrived

George217
Bongonaut

Viv's arrived

Post by George217 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:37 pm

After a long wait, Viv is finally with us. I collected it from Phil at JAL yesterday, and had a list of stuff that he did for me prior to completion. This included full underseal, LCA (of course), immobiliser, rear conversion, 4 new tyres and skylift roof. He also did come cosmetics to repair a couple of dings that were present on arrival, plus full valet. Although I've driven one before, I had a nice leisurely drive back to South Wales and we are now looking forward to our first trip. Phil did a nice job on her, and she looks like a new pin. Low-ish mileage too at 38k, so provided I look after her, she should last us well.

Only one niggle - it appears I have a "talker", a very formal Japanese lady provides me with various bits of information, no doubt telling me of my shortcomings as a driver. Also, it looks as though the display is stuck on maps, which alarmingly told me I was driving over/through an ocean just past Monmouth. :shock:

She'll have to go I'm afraid (I always planned on getting a new double din).

All the best

Mike
Mike

JAL supplied Caribbean Blue V6 Bongo with Skylift roof and rear conversion - Viv.
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Viv's arrived

Post by Bob » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:55 pm

Sounds great, well done. =D>
tanglefoot
Bongolier

Post by tanglefoot » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:44 pm

Konichiwa Viv :D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:40 am

Excellent & enjoy. Strange but i'd have thought Phil would offer to sort out the Jap Satnag before handover albeit at cost. I'm sure he would if you don't fancy tackling it yourself :roll:
George217
Bongonaut

Post by George217 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:38 am

Not really an issue. It's more comical than anything, as she sounds so earnest and committed. I always intended ripping it out for a double din anyway, so no problem; at least the radio works in the interim. I've also got a small device on the dash which Phil reckoned was a toll booth tag/reader, a bit like the ones for the Severn Bridge. He also said that customers get a bit touchy about having them ripped out - why I don't know (neither did he by the way).

I've just returned from a spin in it - Viv is nice to drive, so far, so good, but I will be getting rid of Tokyo Rose.
Mike

JAL supplied Caribbean Blue V6 Bongo with Skylift roof and rear conversion - Viv.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:11 am

Could just be ripping it out leaves a hole. :?
George217
Bongonaut

Post by George217 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:04 pm

Very true Bob.
I'll be off to an auto electric place in the next couple of weeks to let them loose on it. Not a great selection of double dins at Halford so I may get one and have it fitted. Mine is a bit complicated by the reversing camera. The display sort of works, but a bit foggy. I'm not particularly bothered by having one as it is hardly any great length to park anyway, and I understand that the connections are not compatible in any case.
Mike

Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:38 pm

George217 wrote:Only one niggle - it appears I have a "talker", a very formal Japanese lady provides me with various bits of information, no doubt telling me of my shortcomings as a driver. Also, it looks as though the display is stuck on maps, which alarmingly told me I was driving over/through an ocean just past Monmouth. :shock:

She'll have to go I'm afraid (I always planned on getting a new double din).

All the best

Mike
Rare for a Japanese satnav to work at all! Would love to hear it! And I've still got the toll booth thingy in place!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:42 pm

There was video I thought on Youtube but can't locate it of the Japanese voice talking.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
George217
Bongonaut

Post by George217 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:02 am

Well, she's gone (the Japanese lady instructor I mean). Even though the unit was ripped out, she carried on gamely issuing her orders to the last. Appeared that there was a separate unit hidden away behind the original unit. The amount of spaghetti in cable form, that came out of the van was staggering.

I've replaced the original unit and reversing camera with a Kenwood double din and camera, which is very nice, although as it was only fitted yesterday, I need to spend time programming and learning how to use it. The camera is tiny compared to the original, and looks very neat indeed, set high up on top of the tailgate under the spoiler. The important thing for me, is that I've got my music to hand.

So far, so good.
Mike

Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:28 am

Nice one. :D
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:15 pm

George217 wrote:Well, she's gone (the Japanese lady instructor I mean). Even though the unit was ripped out, she carried on gamely issuing her orders to the last. Appeared that there was a separate unit hidden away behind the original unit. The amount of spaghetti in cable form, that came out of the van was staggering.

I've replaced the original unit and reversing camera with a Kenwood double din and camera, which is very nice, although as it was only fitted yesterday, I need to spend time programming and learning how to use it. The camera is tiny compared to the original, and looks very neat indeed, set high up on top of the tailgate under the spoiler. The important thing for me, is that I've got my music to hand.

So far, so good.
makes a great image of ripping at the dash until the lady goes quiet :lol:
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
George217
Bongonaut

Post by George217 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:33 pm

I know what you mean :shock: I'm sure I saw a film way back when that had some sort of life form that couldn't be killed. Give her due credit - she nagged me 'til the bitter end. Strange as it sounds, I sort of miss her, even though I hadn't the first clue what she was saying. I think it was just her urgent seriousness that was appealing. Perhaps I need help :roll:
Mike

cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:55 pm

Just in case you've not found out yet, the wiring for the radio is a lot more accessible when you take the glovebox out, which takes all of 10 secs.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
George217
Bongonaut

Post by George217 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:57 pm

Thanks Chris. All done but well worth knowing. Luckily, in addition there was already a nice neat hole drilled through the back of the storage pocket below the stereo too. Perfect to feed the USB cable through. Really helped.
Mike

Return to “Wales/Cymru”