Costco PSX Powerstation

Bogmonster40
Bongolier

Costco PSX Powerstation

Post by Bogmonster40 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:27 pm

This is a long shot, but has anyone else around the South Wales area bought one of these ? I have lost the Power lead/Transformer to re-charge the bloody thing. I have had it for 2 years now, so charged it when I first bought it but cannot for the life of me remember where i have put it. The power is just starting to go into the Red on it now so needs a charge.
A transformer for a different model may work, so if anyone could help I would be very grateful.
V6 2.5i Tintop Aero Petrol/LPG
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Re: Costco PSX Powerstation

Post by Diplomat » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:14 pm

Don't lose too much time recharching it, if necessary by jumping it across a good battery for a while.

If it contains a sealed gel cell battery which is almost certainly the case, the battery can suffer irrepairably after only a day or so of being discharged below a critical level.

I'm plucking up courage to bin one which I know will never recover back from the 8 volts which it drops straight back to as soon as it is taken off charge.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
Bogmonster40
Bongolier

Post by Bogmonster40 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:30 pm

Oh thanks Frank :lol: there was me thinking just ask on here someone will come to my aid and offer up a charger, noooo i get advised my charger could be knackered :cry: :cry: :roll: ....lol
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:55 pm

Sorry about that!

It is probably not too late, if it hasn't dropped below about 11.5 volts, to simply connect it to the Bongo battery soon after the engine has been running and let it take a transfusion for about an hour. Then when you get hold of a suitable 'Wall wart', give it a long trickle charge.

one problem with these sealed gel batteries is that they are not really intended to be charged other than with a fairly sophisticated charger that doesn't present too high a voltage at any stage and also levels off to a maintenance charge when the battery gets to about 13.8 volts. A car alternator might well over charge a gel battery, which is why I would not suggest having the engine running while your powerstation is getting a transfusion from the car battery (obviously I am assuming the car battery is not iffy).

Some of the unregulated 'wall warts' that come with the power stations could be of very dubious performance, not really being up to the initial charging current requirement and thus getting seriously hot but also, once the battery is charged they can rise up to a voltage in excess of that which is good for the battery over a period of time.

If you can, get hold of one of the intelligent chargers that appear in Lidl or Aldi from time to time. Maplins also sell several chargers designed for gel batteries, which go over to trickle/maintenance charge once the main charge is sufficient.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
Bogmonster40
Bongolier

Post by Bogmonster40 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:53 pm

Thanks Frank, got a Maplins not far from me in Cardiff, will have a look when the madness is over :shock: :roll:

Return to “Wales/Cymru”