Thinking of a week oop North

Moderator: Ian

Darkstar
Bongolier

Thinking of a week oop North

Post by Darkstar » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:28 pm

Hi all, thinking of having a week in Northumberland in the bongo in June, not to impressed with the Caravan and camping club sites I've looked at, but found the Hadrian's wall camping and caravan site near Haltwhistle on UK campsite, looked like it got good reviews, but their web site is not the best for site information. can anyone throw some better light on the facilities and site for me?

On another note i hear you have some rather nasty midges in your parts, are we likely to encounter them in June? and how do we defend ourselves :shock:

thanks in advance, look forward to seeing someone up there. :D
Got a Bongo for the Wife, Best trade-in ever
B*Witched Blingo
Supreme Being

Re: Thinking of a week oop North

Post by B*Witched Blingo » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:36 pm

Kielder Forest is Midge Heaven. Beautiful place to visit. Consider Otterburn to camp. Less midges up there. :shock:
You Tube Films Click Here
"Get your wellies out. No likey floaty Bongo's"
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:57 pm

If you like peace and quiet, but has a bar on site(old hall) try Clennell Hall at Alwinton, Northumberland. Been there many times. Basic facilities but clean, dishwashing area, kids park, toilet shower block. Nice grassed areas. Hook up. Great access to all Northumberland attractions.
Do what you like.Like what you do.
Darkstar
Bongolier

Post by Darkstar » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:47 pm

Thanks for your replies, will have a look at these, this will be the longest trip for the bongo so far.
karena
Supreme Being

Post by karena » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:25 am

visit Beadnell for a fantastic beach and huge sandunes -round the corner past the keep -and for a bit of culture cragside -beautiful grounds and fascinating house the guy was a genius (and a DIY nightmare) best NT property i have ever visited.
Tomo 53
Bongolier

Post by Tomo 53 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:10 am

Darkstar wrote:Hi all, thinking of having a week in Northumberland in the bongo in June, not to impressed with the Caravan and camping club sites I've looked at, but found the Hadrian's wall camping and caravan site near Haltwhistle on UK campsite, looked like it got good reviews, but their web site is not the best for site information. can anyone throw some better light on the facilities and site for me?

On another note i hear you have some rather nasty midges in your parts, are we likely to encounter them in June? and how do we defend ourselves :shock:

thanks in advance, look forward to seeing someone up there. :D
Get a bottle of Avon skin so soft. that works like magic the wee beestys run away from it, having tried lots of anti mig sprays , the Avon is the best , especially in the killer keilder forest. also good for cleaning away any sticky labels etc,
Tomo
Darkstar
Bongolier

Post by Darkstar » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:53 pm

thanks all for your advice, Avon beauty products on order ( missus thought i was joking until i showed her some other web post on the product)

finally settled on Highburn holiday park Wooler, you know what i though the Hadrians wall was to keep the Scots out, did'nt know it ran through Northumberland, (didnt pay much attention about it at school :oops: ), so you're never too old to learn :D

thank all
Strange Brew
Bongonaut

Post by Strange Brew » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:50 pm

We have a standing joke up here that Carter Bar opens up in June then shuts again in September. Think of it like a Himalayan pass. It's usually the first road closed due to snow. :lol:
The midges, are in my opinion the worst I've ever encountered, well at Kielder anyway. OK during daytime but mornings and evenings pretty bad. Choose a spot with a bit of a breeze if possible. Burning mozzie coils or incense will help matters.
Holy Island is well worth a visit, but I have to say it's still one of the coldest days I've ever had bird watching, mind you that was in winter time.
Northumberland is a great place to see ancient rock art and some are well worth checking out.
You can order a free booklet here or download a PDF file. It is a really good read and the photos are stunning.
http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=1634
Have a great time
Bongopoet
Tribal Elder

Post by Bongopoet » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:27 pm

Skin so soft only works for a little while. I am like a banquet for midges and the only thing that really works for me is "Smidge" http://www.midgeforecast.co.uk/

One application a day works wonders
Darkstar
Bongolier

Post by Darkstar » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:42 pm

missus want to visit Holy island,notice you could be there all day if the tide times are against you, also planning to visit to Durham, very interesting webpage looks like I'll have to go to Carter Bar, look a great view from there :D.

Midgeforcast :shock: what ever next, pity they don't have an android app :( , great information on the midge, will get a couple of cans.

will a uv fly killer work? as I'll have EHU, (don't want to take extra baggage if it doesn't work.)

Thanks again :D
Strange Brew
Bongonaut

Post by Strange Brew » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:57 pm

Darkstar wrote:missus want to visit Holy island,notice you could be there all day if the tide times are against you
You have seen the Wickerman haven't you. :lol:

Also Durham hates the car. Don't forget we where the first county in England to use a congestion charge.
Plenty of parking down by the river, just don't drive into the market square as that's where the charge applies. There is a sign warning you of it but if you don't know about the charge it's highly unlikely you would find out until a bill drops through your letterbox.
The view of the cathedral (free entry) from the train station is superb, imo the best view in Durham City. The view from Prebends bridge is also good.
A visit to chapters cafe near Elvet bridge for the best chips for miles around and a bottle of Fentimans ginger beer is also, well for me, a must. :D I know how to live the good life. :lol:

Oh and I've never used a electric uv fly killer, still if it doesn't work you could always hit them with it. :wink:
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:45 pm

It's a cracking part of the country, unspoilt generally by the masses. If you're pondering where to visit at all, some ideas here: :wink:

Northumberland castles, 2008
Craster camp, 2009
Kielder Forest, 2010
Lindisfarne, 2011
Newcastle & Borders, 2012
Darkstar
Bongolier

Post by Darkstar » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:22 pm

Muzorewa

thanks for the posts, i hope its not as cold or windy as it looked in some of your photos :| , great photos by the way.
Darkstar
Bongolier

Post by Darkstar » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:32 pm

Strange Brew,

Thanks for the heads up about the congestion charge, did'nt see any mention of it in the Durham visitors guide, luckily we normally park and ride, i find it too stressful if you dont know the area. (must be getting old).

Wickerman?? that bring back some memories, will have to dig out a copy to see what you mean.

thanks for the tourist info you cant find the little suprises on the interweb.
Bongopoet
Tribal Elder

Post by Bongopoet » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:46 pm

Wickerman was filmed on Scalpay off the Island of Harris. It used to only be accessible by boat but is not cvonnected by a bridge and is not nearly as scary as some might think!

Return to “Yorkshire & North East”