Mechanics in or around Sheffield

Moderator: Ian

Mr Muldoon

Mechanics in or around Sheffield

Post by Mr Muldoon » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:20 pm

HI All

I've just moved to Sheffield (S7) & am in urgent need of a good,honest, fairly prices, won't rip me off because I'm a girl/know nothing about motors (bad experience with my last mechanic I'm sad to say) mechanic. My poor bongo has a steering fluid leak & has started making a knocking noise.

Many Thanks

Tracey

btw Is it ok to still drive it when it's making the knocking noise?
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Re: Mechanics in or around Sheffield

Post by francophile1947 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:47 pm

Depends what the knocking noise is - can you give more information like where it's coming from, is it a metallic knocking etc?
You can get stuff from any motor accessory shop to put in your power steering fluid and, hopefully, stop the leak.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Mr Muldoon

Post by Mr Muldoon » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:19 pm

It's coming from the front, not a metallic sound more like a heavy clonking sound. I shall go to a motor shop for some stuff. It's quite significant leak, I'm having to top it up regularly ( but am up & down to London once a week) & using it (low milage) daily. The steering shakes but that's really from when I had new tyre put on & they didn't do the tracking correctly.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:46 am

Sounds like drop links or anti-roll bar bushes - easy enough job to replace them.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
wishmaster
Tribal Elder

Post by wishmaster » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:50 pm

francophile1947 wrote:Sounds like drop links or anti-roll bar bushes - easy enough job to replace them.
I'd second those thoughts :wink:

Izzy
I have a plan and its as HOT as my pants

IZZY

http://s633.photobucket.com/albums/uu57/izzy2619/
Mr Muldoon

Post by Mr Muldoon » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:30 pm

took it to the garage today & they say the steering rack gone. Is that the same as what you guys are saying. I've been quoted £600 owch!
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:22 pm

Mr Muldoon wrote:took it to the garage today & they say the steering rack gone. Is that the same as what you guys are saying. I've been quoted £600 owch!

No the steering rack is totally different but give the same noises when fubar.

The price you have been quoted is that a new one or a reconditioned one?

theres this guy, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RECON-MAZDA-BONGO ... 3a5e173690 basically what you have to do is buy it for £175 &£19 postage, when it arrives either give the courier yours as well, or send your back to him at a later date, within 14 days.

So for £200 you will get a reconditioned rack but you will have to give him your old one as part of the deal, and price of fiting and removing old rack

or Go on ebay and contact people breaking bongos for a price for theirs (if they still have it), you may get it £100 cheaper or so but you might end up with the same problem in 6 months, If it was me I would buy the reconditioned one. :wink: , contact the garage and find out how much to take off the old one and put on a recon one as I think that price might be for a new one
Mr Muldoon

Post by Mr Muldoon » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:40 pm

Yeah I think that quote was for new but your advice has got me thinking Ta
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:59 am

hi dont know if you know that bongo fury is based in sheffield,if you are in the club you could email ian,and he may point you in the right direction,he also has the shop that carries a good selection of spares.
Mr Muldoon

Post by Mr Muldoon » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:10 pm

Certainly am a member :D I contacted the office yesterday & spoke to Tracey who was very helpful & put me in touch with 2 garages. I'd be lost without Bongo Fury

Return to “Yorkshire & North East”