Wanted: Bongo Mechanic nr Hull (or within an hours drive?)

Moderator: Ian

Kitegirl

Wanted: Bongo Mechanic nr Hull (or within an hours drive?)

Post by Kitegirl » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:14 pm

Hi All,

Just back from France and now there is deffo some problem with the Bongo, which I think may be connected with the earlier problem I was having with the front drop link (as it seems to be going again after just a month or so) and we realised whilst away that the passenger side front tyre is worn at one side.. the van also pulls slightly to the passenger side if you let go of the wheel. I've had the wheels balanced and the timing looked at.

So, the main problem is this juddering (as you start to pull away, particularly bad on hill starts!) which is accompanied by a loud rattling noise and we think it's coming from the prop (?) or drive (?) shaft.. basically somewhere under the side sliding door. My partner thinks there's a metal tube there which shouldn't move but does and that's what's making the noise.

My normal mechanic doesn't seem to be interested in investigating, and also says he isn't able to fit the timing belt kit I've bought, soooo am hoping to find a decent Bongo mechanic within an hour or so of Hull.

Basically I just need someone who knows what they're doing so I'm not charged an arm and a leg for hours of investigating..

Whilst I'm there, if they can explain why my top box doesn't go up properly and makes this clanking sound as it's going up, even better...

Would really appreciate any contacts you people have, this van's starting to cost me a small fortune now :(

Dee [-o<
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Wanted: Bongo Mechanic nr Hull (or within an hours drive?)

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:07 am

sorry i cant help with the local garage,but if you suspect the prop shaft please dont drive it as the damage it could do if it were to come adrift could be very costly,and dangerous.
is your motor a 4 wheel drive? or 2.if its 4 wheel drive,this could be linked to the problem with the front end that you are noticing.
uk-ken

Post by uk-ken » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:16 am

Bensons Auto Services 01274 300033 in Cleckheaton

A bit of a trek but he know Bongos very well!

Cheers, Ken
uk-ken

Post by uk-ken » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:19 am

Just checked it is 64 miles from hull just an hour to drive! :D

Ken
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:27 pm

http://www.autosafeclifton.co.uk/

these are in york and know the way of the bongo too,I havent used them but others in the area have and recomend them might be nearer for you.
Kitegirl

Post by Kitegirl » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:05 am

Thanks very much people, will give them a ring tomorrow and get the Bongo booked in for next week.

Really appreciate the heads up :D
Kitegirl

Post by Kitegirl » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:53 am

Hey guys thanks for the heads up, went to the place at Cleckheaton in the end.. apparently it's a new clutch I need. Yowzers!

And handbrake shoes, and new top box motor and 2 new front tyres..

Insurance and MOT due before the end of the month too......

Ah well, at least I finally have someone on the job who appears to know what they're doing!

Another jaunt to Cleckheaton in a couple of weeks when I've got the bits then...

Don't know where I'd be without Bongo Fury.

Again thanks, Dee =D>
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Post by mister munkey » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:45 am

If you need a lift or need the bits dropping off I work in Hull & live near Bensons . . . :) :)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey

Return to “Yorkshire & North East”