?move to Yorkshire dales

Moderator: Ian

Bongologist

?move to Yorkshire dales

Post by Bongologist » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:55 pm

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me four or five good reasons to move to Yorkshire Dales :)

I have had enough of where I live in Sussex and the coastal traffic!
Would love to relocate to quieter, beautiful countryside and friendly people.
Could any of you yorkshire lads/lassies suggest any particular location?
Cheers guys

Marina x
waycar8
Supreme Being

Re: ?move to Yorkshire dales

Post by waycar8 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:03 pm

If you do move up the dales, you wont be disapointed, we go for drives and visit the local towns with dogs, if you havent ever been to Malham, go for a visit, if that doesnt capture your amagination I would be very suprised, can get very busy during the summer months with all the visiters but the locals are very friendly and join in with the activities.

Good luck with your decision anyhow, theres loads of different types of towns in the dales, depends on what your after.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:54 pm

Agree with Wayne, very friendly part of the world, great scenery, most things are cheaper...

We mostly go north for our hols while the rest of the world is stuck on the M5 near us dragging down to Devon and Cornwall.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:59 pm

some of the locals can be weird.especially round helifield, :lol:

i suppose im one of them,i live quite close and use this area often.
karena
Supreme Being

Post by karena » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:07 pm

no 1 we,re already here and more bongos are always welcome
no 2 my pub quiz team in grassington needs a new member
no 3 its quite pretty
no 4 channel four are currently filming for some win a house in grassington type programme so if you enter you might get a free one.

seriousely much depends on what you want -the honeypots like grassington and malham are quiite expensive to buy property and get very busy in the summer -other places like my village dont have any amenities pub/shop/broadband/street lights but we do have good neighbours
then there are the really remote places where even a bongo wont go.
In the higher dales places like hawes,askrigg,richmond, masham offer more in the way of amenities.
masham's very nice.
Much depends on whether you need to work and how far you are prepared to travel to do it public transport is sparse and so are gritters in winter.
If you have kids the schools are good but the 11 plus system is still operating so secondary schools
you may also need to travel too - then theres occupying them, especially when theyre teenagers
again the higher dales seem to offer more although there is a youth club in threshfield.
On the whole though people are firendly good pubs good food and pretty scenery.

oh yes and some of the visitors from over the lancashire borders can be awful strange. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:14 pm

:shock: :shock: :lol:
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:21 pm

Theres Settle area, more of a town than village life, more tourist and gets heaving in the summer the further north you go gets more rural, got to agree with Karen too........... the lancashire borders can be strange :lol: :lol: :lol: , you just have top learn to put up with there accents :lol: :lol:
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:11 pm

Moving away from the busy south is great in itself. We moved from Bromley - SE London to Staffordshire, best thing we ever did. Life is just that bit nicer :D
Wakeybongo

Post by Wakeybongo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:15 pm

Bongologist wrote:Hi all,

Can anyone tell me four or five good reasons to move to Yorkshire Dales :)

I have had enough of where I live in Sussex and the coastal traffic!
Would love to relocate to quieter, beautiful countryside and friendly people.
Could any of you yorkshire lads/lassies suggest any particular location?
Cheers guys

Marina x
You only need 1, the beers better!!!
Seariously I find most places in the uk I've been to have plus points but up in the dales is probably the most beautiful, friendly place I've ever been.
Give it a go, I'm sure you won't regret it.
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Post by mister munkey » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:36 pm

I moved up from my last abode in Hertfordshire on Feb 20th 2003. The day a pint of Stella hit three quid in my local.

Have since been living a semi rural life in a modest house next to a cricket club where a pint of John Smiths costs £1.39 :D (you should've heard the complaints when it went up 10 last year :roll: )

We're also lucky enough to have a cottage up near Leyburn, (which we don't use enough) one of the best parts of the planet there for most things that are important in life. Majestic scenery everywhere, solid REAL people, local produce - some of the most amazing steaks, sausages & bacon you'll ever find - Plus, Scotland trips are only three hours away & back down south for a visit is still manageable.

Just Do It!!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey
blobber
Supreme Being

Post by blobber » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:26 pm

Wayne, do you ever go for a drive and visit towns without dogs?
Alan & Dot

Yes sir, I can Bongo !!

I now walk with an angel by my side.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:26 am

google skipton, yorkshire.
busy market town,20 mins from the bottom of the dales,good rail links for work if you need to.
google Hardraw Force.the only place i know where you go in the front door of a public house,go out the back door,in the beer garden is one if not the highest waterfalls in britain :shock:
google Malham cove and Malham tarn.beautiful any time of the year.the only place i know where you walk up the river bed and the river ends at the rock face of a couple of hundred feet high wall of lime stone!!
my mrs and the kids go horse riding round here so if its the country life you seek,look no further.
Bongologist

Post by Bongologist » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:38 am

Guys, guys, guys!!! What can I say? What a response!!!
Thank you so much.
I am afraid to tell you I have sold my much loved Ruby bongo and got a shusss.....a car.
Was looking for a bongo mate but one never came along.
So it will be me, two dogs and a cat relocating next year. I work as a Reflexologist,
so I reckon I need a town to live to be able to build a business.
You all sound soooo lovely. I will get brave and come up and explore! Beer sounds good,
My kids have grown up and dont need me :roll:
So cheers all and I do miss my Bongo,
Marina xx :D
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:37 am

blobber wrote:Wayne, do you ever go for a drive and visit towns without dogs?

No :wink: , there the family,we love em more than the pesky kids :lol: , they dont answer back :roll: dont mind giving you a kiss and a cuddle in front of people and are better houstrained 8)
uk-ken

Post by uk-ken » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:07 am

Marina

I live in Horsforth, Leeds and get out into the Dales most weeks. Though the "honey pots" mentioned earlier are nice I prefer to find quieter places to spend my free time.

With the people in the Dales you tend to get back what you are prepared to put in. I get on with most people wherever I travel but the folk around Yorkshire are pretty easy to get to know. What you see is what you get. When riding my motorbike I love the roads and scenery from Horsforth to Masham via Pately bridge. If you do call up for a look around I'd be happy to give you the guided tour. Good luck with your future plans.

Regards, Ken

Return to “Yorkshire & North East”