Hello from Tad!

Moderator: Ian

Mountain

Hello from Tad!

Post by Mountain » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:25 am

Hi,
-
Just joined and just bought a Bongo.
I partially blame my mother as she has a Bongo and has led me to the darkside.
-
I used to be a VW T2 owner in years gone by and was responsible for it's restoration and pimpage. However, since then I have opted for the sensible family option...but secretly dreamed of owning another camper or van.
-
This week I was 'crashed for cash' in Bradford on the way to work, and my car written off.
The Bongo was almost fresh off the boat and a combination of future camping trips, plus the bull bars on the front for the daily drive through Bradford persuaded my wife too =D> Ferries to France & Spain await!
-
So, we are now Bongotised. Our 5year old son was already converted from going camping with the Grandparents and sleeping 'up top' in their Bongo. He could barely contain himself when I arrived home with a bongo today.
-
So, let the pimping begin.
Needs a few minor touch ups with the paintwork, otherwise it's mint. Good as new underneath and runs very well.
However...no alloys :shock:
So first pimpage will be alloys & side window tints.
-
I've digested lot's of information already, but why does she keep beeping when the roof is fully up? :oops:
-
Anyway, nice to be virtually 'here'.
-
Martin
dandemann8
Supreme Being

Re: Hello from Tad!

Post by dandemann8 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:38 am

Hi and welcome to the madhouse and enjoy the forumn. :D :D :D :D :D :D
Bongo no more........... ;-(
Dabs
Supreme Being

Post by Dabs » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:40 am

Welcome
Enjoy the Bongo 8)

As for the roof it may just need another little push from the inside to lock it off and stop the beep.Its probably not been sent up for a while!

Dabs :P
Its Oh so quiet!!..Ex Terra Lucem!!..A Leopard can't change his spots!
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:43 am

Hi Martin and welcome to the forum,re the beeping,possibly needs the contacts cleaning,but someone more techie minded than me may be able to advise further.
Please put your location in your profile,and photos of your new toy are madatory! :D

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:03 am

Welcome to the forum :D
As Dabs said hopefully it's just that it hasn't quite reached lock out point, mine usually goes after a couple of raise & lower manoevres, I take it you're doing it with the engine running to give it a bit of welly, it'll soon flatten the battery if you play to much too :wink: leave the engine running for a while to charge the battery a bit if you've just started it to raise the roof. To get it down again you'll have to press the lock cancel button in the roof, & don't forget to have the handbrake on or it won't move, there's a little switch at the back of the handbrake that sometimes gets a bit damp & doesn't work, quick scrape'll get you moving again. Give the rams & rollers etc a bit of a lube (I've used white grease or spray silicon oil or even olive oil), mine needs doing again, the weather soon gets to it.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
Mountain

Post by Mountain » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:13 am

OK, will do. I only had time for a quick play after I got home.
OK pics.....how to attach?

OK here's a start...

http://s762.photobucket.com/albums/xx26 ... ain/Bongo/
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:26 am

Just copy the IMG link in the drop down box if you want to paste them onto the forum like

Nice looking classic green bongo 8)
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Post by mister munkey » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:49 am

Welcome in to the fold Martin, a fine looking specimen you have there too. =D>

Mine does the same niggly roof thing sometimes, you need a second pair of hands to give the roof a last half inch push.

A squirt of this

On the runners & rams has helped mine though.

Theres a weekend meet the weekend after next in Silverdale, N Lancs. Try to find time to pop along & have a rummage around some others for ideas.

Could be a Life Changing Experience.

8)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey
Dabs
Supreme Being

Post by Dabs » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:59 am

mister munkey wrote: Theres a weekend meet the weekend after next in Silverdale, N Lancs. Try to find time to pop along & have a rummage around some others for ideas.
8)
Also a Meet here The Cotton Arms, Wrenbury, Cheshire from 19th to 21st March 2010 pop in if you fancy a ride out!

Dabs :D
Its Oh so quiet!!..Ex Terra Lucem!!..A Leopard can't change his spots!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:11 am

Welcome Mountain - nice looking classic Bongo with all the bits (it seems to have alloys on it too?).

I gotta ask you - how do you find driving the Bongo after driving the VW T2s?

Hope you have lots of camping fun with the Bongo. Fit a low coolant alarm if not done, for peace of mind. 8)
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:44 am

Welcome to bongo fury Martin 8)
Mountain

Post by Mountain » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:42 pm

Cheers everyone!
-
mikeonb4c. Nah, no alloys yet, the wheel trims just look good in the photo! I'm still on the look out for an ebay special.
"Fit a low coolant alarm if not done, for peace of mind. "
I'm a bit coolant obsessed anyway, especially with driving diesel cars for so long. Is it an easy job?

As for the T2 driving experience, pretty comfortable but more aking to sailing a small boat than driving.
The Bongo however is a really comfortable drive. Not a hint of a bad back after driving it home. Would have been 'ow me back' after that long in a car :)

So, sorry for the noob questions, but were id the sensor that stops the beeping when the roof's up?

I will no doubt make a meet at some point and then my life will probably change as it did in my VWCombi days :D
dreamwarrioruk
Supreme Being

Post by dreamwarrioruk » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:07 pm

welcome
there are some microswitches on one side of the runners for the roof that control the bleeps. the main sounder unit is in the rear of the bongo down drivers side. i wouldnt expect that they would like disconnecting tho.
mike, jo and emma
Mountain

Post by Mountain » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:12 pm

dreamwarrioruk wrote:welcome
there are some microswitches on one side of the runners for the roof that control the bleeps. the main sounder unit is in the rear of the bongo down drivers side. i wouldnt expect that they would like disconnecting tho.
Cheers, I'll have a close look at the runners first :)
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:46 pm

Mountain wrote:Cheers everyone!
-
mikeonb4c. Nah, no alloys yet, the wheel trims just look good in the photo! I'm still on the look out for an ebay special.
"Fit a low coolant alarm if not done, for peace of mind. "
I'm a bit coolant obsessed anyway, especially with driving diesel cars for so long. Is it an easy job?

As for the T2 driving experience, pretty comfortable but more aking to sailing a small boat than driving.
The Bongo however is a really comfortable drive. Not a hint of a bad back after driving it home. Would have been 'ow me back' after that long in a car :)

So, sorry for the noob questions, but were id the sensor that stops the beeping when the roof's up?

I will no doubt make a meet at some point and then my life will probably change as it did in my VWCombi days :D
Low coolant alarm is dead easy to fit, hour max. Worth looking at modifying the temp gauge too (either a Mason alarm or with this cheap mod) as it's dumbed down so it doesn't scare people by moving once it's up to temp :roll: , there's a factsheet in the members area on coolant alarms & monitoring.
Make sure the coolant has been thoroughly flushed out & replaced as it's reasonably new on the country, the Jap spec coolant isn't compatible with the uk spec stuff, causes sludging up & acidic mix if you're not careful, worth replacing the stat while you're at it. Make sure you know what coolant is used in it so you can top up with the same stuff. Give it all a good check over especially coolant hoses etc & keep on top of maintenance as her looks bely her age :wink: That way you should enjoy many happy years of trouble free bongoing in whatever form your bongoing will take :D

Return to “Yorkshire & North East”