places of interest

Moderator: Ian

welsh winger

places of interest

Post by welsh winger » Wed May 13, 2009 2:41 pm

Hi to all you yorkies,

We are coming up to York for a long weekend this Friday booked in at a camp site 4 mile out of York, we will be visiting the city using a river taxi, I have most of the places in York itself set, norvick centre, railway museum not forgetting the minster, any other suggestions, we will have our motorbike on tow so will be able to (dare I say it) abandon the bongo at the site, don't want to travel too far out of the site as the wife recently had a hip replacement so we are not sure how she will manage, 30 to 40 miles radius is the plan we have.

Thanks in advance

Nick
Welsh Winger & Mrs
waycar8
Supreme Being

Re: places of interest

Post by waycar8 » Wed May 13, 2009 6:05 pm

Hi nick, shame you didnt book in a couple of weeks, were having a meet at Goosewood holiday park, nice site too.

Cant help with places to visit but got to recomend the ghostwalk, cant remember the particular one but it was brilliant very funny :lol: , Dreamwarrioruk organised it so he will be able to tell you which walk it was.

Have Fun
Cheers Wayne
welsh winger

Post by welsh winger » Wed May 13, 2009 6:11 pm

Thanks Wayne, we are using York as a stop over before we go to a mates for a few days then on to a bike rally the following weekend, I like the idea of the ghost walk, I will spook :lol: to the wife about it.

Nick
Welsh Winger
chief wiggam

Post by chief wiggam » Wed May 13, 2009 7:44 pm

Hi Nick,there's a large biker meeting place Squires cafe at sherburn in elmet about 15 miles out of york and theres a very nice back road to get you there :D

p.s what rally are you off to?
welsh winger

Post by welsh winger » Wed May 13, 2009 8:55 pm

Hi chief,

It is a Goldwing owners club bash.

Nick
Welsh Winger
dreamwarrioruk
Supreme Being

Post by dreamwarrioruk » Wed May 13, 2009 10:01 pm

http://www.ghosthunt.co.uk/
http://www.edencamp.co.uk/

two good places to go, which campsite you staying on.
mike, jo and emma
karena
Supreme Being

Post by karena » Thu May 14, 2009 10:50 am

This ghost walk is excellent fun - some of the others take themselves a bit seriousely and are more for intellectual history buff types.
I thought the sherburn cafe had closed down - used to go there sunday afternoons (many many many moons ago)
Jon the Bassist
Bongolier

Post by Jon the Bassist » Thu May 14, 2009 11:21 am

Squires Milk Bar is still going very strong, hosting custom bike shows and and other bike/music related events as well as their usual cafe business (I've played there).
Food is decent and cheap, and there is a shop selling bike gear on site as well.
welsh winger

Post by welsh winger » Thu May 14, 2009 1:57 pm

Hi dreamwarrioruk,

The site is Naburn lock caravan park and thanks for the ideas.

Jon the bassist,
thanks for the squires idea, I have heard a lot about it, will probably pop over on Sunday, it may save me cooking breakfast :lol:

Nick
Welsh winger
karena
Supreme Being

Post by karena » Fri May 15, 2009 11:19 am

had meet at naburn lock the year before last, nice site (if a bit waterlogged occasionally) no probs leaving your bongo to go into town we went out on the bus from the stop just outside the site and cruised back again on a boat.
Mike Jill and Emily

Post by Mike Jill and Emily » Fri May 15, 2009 3:09 pm

York Railway Museum (Free I think)
Yorvik Centre (Not free but ok if not too busy)
dreamwarrioruk
Supreme Being

Post by dreamwarrioruk » Fri May 15, 2009 3:25 pm

there also is the yorkshire museum in the museum gardens,i think they relicy things like dinosaurs and other stuff,not sure never been in it ,dont do things like that even though i live in york,if you want to do the castle museum,that is good its how they used to live in the victorian times and then over the road is clifford tower which is also near the yorvik centre and merchant adventures hall which is a old building then you have the red lion which is a very old lovely pub at merchantgate,also go and have your photo taken at the shortest street in york called whipmawhopmagate,blink and you will miss it,
mike, jo and emma
technophobe
Tribal Elder

Post by technophobe » Fri May 15, 2009 7:03 pm

Try Dalby Forest. Spent three nights there a couple of weeks ago.
Richard & Jo

1995 SGL5 Black over silver clear windows

Return to “Yorkshire & North East”