SELF changing Cam belt.

Moderator: Ian

chiefster1976
Bongolier

SELF changing Cam belt.

Post by chiefster1976 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:38 pm

Hi.. I am have had a good price here in oz for full cam belt change inc tensioner and spring for $308..not a bad price..1995 2.5 turbo diesel..
i have also checked out price for the kit by itself.. $145..
I have heard on previous posts about doing a DIY jobby...
I have a work collegue happy to look and help me learn the job at hand...
from what i have been told the cam belt is driven by the injecter pump and NOT by the water pump and makes it apparently a easier job...???
Can anyone please please help with a detailed decription of the replacement of the cam belt . Any pics too would be a great advantage.. [-o< [-o<
The price for replacement is good but would like to be able to do the job myself... :roll:

Ideally would like to get a workshop manual but ive heard they are an extortionate price for a translation book by a New zealand company..

CAN I USE a workshop manual fro a MAZDA B2500 1999 onwards.. I have a code checked today from Bursons in Brisbane, part no. KTBA193.. full kit. WL engine..
does this code look familiar???
Racing green with extras!!Self build full side conversion which rocks!!!
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Re: SELF changing Cam belt.

Post by missfixit70 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:43 pm

You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
chiefster1976
Bongolier

Post by chiefster1976 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:53 pm

dont have a code to check fact sheet!!!
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:35 pm

from what i have been told the cam belt is driven by the injecter pump and NOT by the water pump and makes it apparently a easier job...???
The belt is driven by the crankshaft and then drives the injector pump, but I don't think (from what I've read) it drives the water pump.

As the cambelt drives the camshaft and injector pump and both of those have to be very carefully timed in order for the engine to run properly make sure you know exactly how to ensure all 3 are perfectly aligned.

If not you'll have big problems.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:36 pm

chiefster1976 wrote:dont have a code to check fact sheet!!!
You have to be a paid up member, have a word with Ian, see what he can do for international members :wink:
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:10 pm

missfixit70 wrote:
chiefster1976 wrote:dont have a code to check fact sheet!!!
You have to be a paid up member, have a word with Ian, see what he can do for international members :wink:
Web membership and pay with paypal - easy.
chiefster1976
Bongolier

Post by chiefster1976 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:50 pm

thanks. contacted ian..awaiting reply..
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:29 pm

scanner wrote:
The belt is driven by the crankshaft and then drives the injector pump, but I don't think (from what I've read) it drives the water pump.

As the cambelt drives the camshaft and injector pump and both of those have to be very carefully timed in order for the engine to run properly make sure you know exactly how to ensure all 3 are perfectly aligned.

Lets get this one right eh! :wink:

The crankshaft drives the injection pump at half speed by gears (also the power steering pump) the injection pump then drives the camshaft at 1 : 1 by belt - I've never heard of a Bongo cambelt break and I'm sure thats because the belts are under much less torque than if it was driven directly by the crankshaft at 2 : 1 ratio.

The water pump is driven by the vee belts which also drive the alternator.
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:22 pm

dandywarhol wrote:
scanner wrote:

Lets get this one right eh! :wink:

The crankshaft drives the injection pump at half speed by gears (also the power steering pump) the injection pump then drives the camshaft at 1 : 1 by belt - I've never heard of a Bongo cambelt break and I'm sure thats because the belts are under much less torque than if it was driven directly by the crankshaft at 2 : 1 ratio.

The water pump is driven by the vee belts which also drive the alternator.
Stand corrected then - not having looked under the cover I had assumed it was the same as all the other cars I've done where crankshaft drives belt and the belt then drives everything else at various speeds by way of different sized pulleys. Just looked on lushprojects and that is very hazy over the arrangements

Look at this
http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsm ... 1of02.html
and it's easy to think the big pulley at the bottom is the crank - but it isn't and that can be seen if you look at this
http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsm ... mgno=.html and realise that the cam belt cover doesn't extend right down to the crank.

Takes a bit of detective work.

Shame Mazda didn't think to continue the gears right up to the camshaft. :?
But I suppose not driving the injector pump and water pump reduces the load on the belt a bit

You learn something every day. :wink:
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:16 pm

Not so much the pumps causing less load IMO - more like less torque on the belt because both it's pulleys are turning at the same speed.............

Has anyone heard of a Bongo/Ranger B2500 belt breaking?
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
chiefster1976
Bongolier

Post by chiefster1976 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:29 am

I have a quote from Bursons auto parts here in OZ. $143 fOR full kit, supply only.. Approx £65..
As there are only about 20 bongos here in oz at the moment..lol.. nobody can tell me the cam belt replacement for a bongo. The only engine similar they could find on the computer was a Mazda 2.5 TD B2500.. I THINK it was 1998 onwards use the same engine..
Can anyone tell me FOR SURE wether the cam belt for this model mazda is correct???
I AM LOOKING FOR A WORK SHOP MANUAL FOR THE SAME ENGINE.. CAN I BUY THE MAZDA B2500 MANUAL WHICH WILL SHARE THE SAME ENGINE?? WHAT YEAR B2500 DO I NEED TO FIND????
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:14 pm

chiefster1976 wrote:I have a quote from Bursons auto parts here in OZ. $143 fOR full kit, supply only.. Approx £65..
As there are only about 20 bongos here in oz at the moment..lol.. nobody can tell me the cam belt replacement for a bongo. The only engine similar they could find on the computer was a Mazda 2.5 TD B2500.. I THINK it was 1998 onwards use the same engine..
Can anyone tell me FOR SURE wether the cam belt for this model mazda is correct???
I AM LOOKING FOR A WORK SHOP MANUAL FOR THE SAME ENGINE.. CAN I BUY THE MAZDA B2500 MANUAL WHICH WILL SHARE THE SAME ENGINE?? WHAT YEAR B2500 DO I NEED TO FIND????
The engine code is WL-T (WL engine with Turbo) if that helps.

If that is the code for the engine and the manual covers a 4cylinder (93/92mm) 2499cc 3valve/cylinder indirect injection engine it should be the correct one.

Return to “Yorkshire & North East”