Looking for a kind soul to give us a guided tour?

Moderator: Muzorewa

flarts
Bongonaut

Looking for a kind soul to give us a guided tour?

Post by flarts » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:31 am

Hello!
My name is Mike and I actually live just over the boarder in North Wales near Mold (not far from Chester and the Wirral) but I decided to post my debut post in the NW section of the forum as most of the NW is far more accessible to us than much of Wales... and my wife IS from the Wirral... so we're NW with intent.

We've been pondering buying a Bongo for a good while and feel we're now just about ready but we need some help.
The trouble is, we're a bit lost, confused, perhaps not even sure it's right for us and in short I'm hoping some kind soul on the forum will say something along the lines of "hey, I'm only 20 minutes away, pop round and I'll show you my Bongo and tell you all about it" :D

Cheeky I know. I've looked at every site from second hand to all the main importers and converters so I've done as much internet research as my poor brain can take but I think we need to see one up close (which is proving quite elusive for some reason), have a good look at the "upstairs", figure out where we'd fit the dog etc and have a proper chat with a real life Bongo owner.

Thanks in advance and I apologise if I'm being a little forward.
One 2001 White/Silver 4WD 2.5L AFT Diesel | One Dog | Many Ukuleles
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Looking for a kind soul to give us a guided tour?

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:39 am

flarts wrote:Hello!
My name is Mike and I actually live just over the boarder in North Wales near Mold (not far from Chester and the Wirral) but I decided to post my debut post in the NW section of the forum as most of the NW is far more accessible to us than much of Wales... and my wife IS from the Wirral... so we're NW with intent.

We've been pondering buying a Bongo for a good while and feel we're now just about ready but we need some help.
The trouble is, we're a bit lost, confused, perhaps not even sure it's right for us and in short I'm hoping some kind soul on the forum will say something along the lines of "hey, I'm only 20 minutes away, pop round and I'll show you my Bongo and tell you all about it" :D

Cheeky I know. I've looked at every site from second hand to all the main importers and converters so I've done as much internet research as my poor brain can take but I think we need to see one up close (which is proving quite elusive for some reason), have a good look at the "upstairs", figure out where we'd fit the dog etc and have a proper chat with a real life Bongo owner.

Welcome. You're right to ask, an often there is someone nearby and willing. Off the top of my head there is a guy called Andy (know as Hembracho on here) who I think lives near Mold. He's not been seen on here for some time but youcould try PMing him. I'm over near Manchester Airport, which is rather more than 20 mins away :-( but you're welcome if you're passing. I did a lot of research like you before committing to a Bongo nearly 9 years ago.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:00 am

Warm welcome.

We're in Somerset, but if you're this way on holiday let me know.
flarts
Bongonaut

Post by flarts » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:08 am

mikeonb4c wrote:Welcome. You're right to ask, an often there is someone nearby and willing. Off the top of my head there is a guy called Andy (know as Hembracho on here) who I think lives near Mold. He's not been seen on here for some time but youcould try PMing him. I'm over near Manchester Airport, which is rather more than 20 mins away :-( but you're welcome if you're passing. I did a lot of research like you before committing to a Bongo nearly 9 years ago.
Thank you very much... and thank you all for making me feel very welcome :)

45 minutes isn't too far beyond a possibility so I may very well take you up on your very kind offer but I will give Hembracho a shout as you suggest.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:24 am

flarts wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:Welcome. You're right to ask, an often there is someone nearby and willing. Off the top of my head there is a guy called Andy (know as Hembracho on here) who I think lives near Mold. He's not been seen on here for some time but youcould try PMing him. I'm over near Manchester Airport, which is rather more than 20 mins away :-( but you're welcome if you're passing. I did a lot of research like you before committing to a Bongo nearly 9 years ago.
Thank you very much... and thank you all for making me feel very welcome :)

45 minutes isn't too far beyond a possibility so I may very well take you up on your very kind offer but I will give Hembracho a shout as you suggest.
Goodo, and there are others nearer to you than me if they are available to give a tour (Warrington, Liverpool etc.). Mine's an unconverted 1995 2WD diesel but I've made stuff for it on the cheap so that I can use it as a day/weekend camper. This thread gives an idea:

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... lit=locker
tanglefoot
Bongolier

Post by tanglefoot » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:54 pm

Hi mike...good luck with your search...If you are near Tewkesbury anytime you could look over my beastie.
Mrs Muppet
Bongonaut

Post by Mrs Muppet » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:17 pm

V6 with side conversion and Skylift roof if you need to see one. Halifax area. Just off Juntion 22 of the M62 so easy to reach.

You would be welcome to pop over for a tour :-) Coffee and cake always available.

Happy hunting
novocaine
Bongonaut

Post by novocaine » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:25 pm

group meet mike? I'm sure a few of us could be convinced to meet at lymm truck stop on the M56/M6 junction so you can have a look round and a chat to a few owners. :)
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:30 pm

Diesel AFT with Imperial conversion if you want a look, near J23 M60 :wink:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:47 pm

novocaine wrote:group meet mike? I'm sure a few of us could be convinced to meet at lymm truck stop on the M56/M6 junction so you can have a look round and a chat to a few owners. :)
Ha ha, but I'm just too old, knackered and short on time to commit to much other than flaking out at home. But if a meet shapes up and I happen to be free I could whizz down the road and join in. There's major roadworks in progress there at present mind you so not sure if it is usable as a location?
flarts
Bongonaut

Post by flarts » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:10 pm

Muzorewa wrote:Diesel AFT with Imperial conversion if you want a look, near J23 M60 :wink:
We'd very interested in seeing an Imperial actually so I dare say that would be well worth a ride around Manchester... watch this space :-)

You're all very kind, I can see us doing a tour of the NW Bongo spotting!!

A meet, of course, would be amazingly useful for us but I don't want to put you guys to too much trouble... But obviously we're game if you are!

Thanks again for this already terrific response. It's lovely and encouraging to find such a welcoming community.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:58 pm

flarts wrote:Hello!

Is it just you and your wife or kids as well? Is it just the one dog?

We are new to Bongos but when we go away there is me, my wife, my 7 year old, my 3 year old and our 2 year old dog.

We've just been away for 15 days in it with no problems at all. We have a drive away awning which gives ample space. Ours has a mid kitchen with the full bench seat still in place at the back.

We have slept in many different configurations, the most common is my wife and 3 year old downstairs, the dog on the front passenger seat and me and my 7 year old in the roof.

There is space for and adult and both children in the roof. Which then gives loads of room downstairs, we also managed one night with my wife and 2 kids down stairs and me and the dog in the roof.

The front passenger seat folds back flat making the whole of that side a bed which is very long! There are loads of ways to do it.

We've done a few nights without the awning - that is harder but possible. It is easier if the weather is nice. Our boot is normally packed very well and there is nowhere for all that to go if we don't have the awning up, so we leave the seat upright and I sleep further down with my head on the rear seat base and my legs on the front passenger seat. The dog fits on the rear bench seat next to me and the others go in the roof. The kids car seats go on the front drivers seat.

Edit...

Forgot to add that we have a large roof box too, this helps with travelling but has the downside of needing to empty it to lift the roof, so it all has to come in. Most of it is bedding anyway, cushions and sleeping bags and the bed base for the middle downstairs. There is also the awning which can go under the bed or even under the bongo.
Andyf
Bongonaut

Post by Andyf » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:08 pm

Love the thought of the dog sleeping in the roof!
www.bongodecals.com
Manufacturer of quality replacement decals for Mazda Bongo's and Ford Freda's
bongodaisy15
Junior Bongonaut

Post by bongodaisy15 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:32 pm

My dog won't go anywhere NEAR the roof.... (wimp!!) :lol:
Welcome to the club :)
Best thing I've done in a long time....buying my Bongo =D>
hembramacho
Supreme Being

Post by hembramacho » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:16 pm

Have pm'd you.

Andrew
ImageGwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.Image

Return to “North West”