Belt noise issue

bongo_tc
Apprentice Bongonaut

Belt noise issue

Post by bongo_tc » Wed May 17, 2017 12:18 pm

Hi all,

I've been putting up with a persistent belt rotational noise for a number of months. It's the belt that sits just behind the alternator. Air-con is switched off so have ruled this out. Noise tends to dissipate when accelerating beyond 20mph.

Local mechanic cannot source replacement belt. Bongo dealer in Fife would need me to drive over and leave it with them for a few hours so that they can source alternative in Dundee. Will do this if necessary but if anyone in Edinburgh aware of a garage who can do this locally then this would be preferable. Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers,
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Belt noise issue

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed May 17, 2017 1:05 pm

bongo_tc wrote:Hi all,

I've been putting up with a persistent belt rotational noise for a number of months. It's the belt that sits just behind the alternator. Air-con is switched off so have ruled this out. Noise tends to dissipate when accelerating beyond 20mph.

Local mechanic cannot source replacement belt. Bongo dealer in Fife would need me to drive over and leave it with them for a few hours so that they can source alternative in Dundee. Will do this if necessary but if anyone in Edinburgh aware of a garage who can do this locally then this would be preferable. Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers,
Welcome. Are you saying a garage can't source and fit belts to a Bongo?!? You can buy belts from the Bongo shop, on eBay etc and I'd hope any competent garage could fit them with minimal fuss while you wait.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed May 17, 2017 1:41 pm

Would just tightening it help?

Even with the aircon off it still turns the compressor, albeit with much less load.

As Mike says, belts can be bought easily, and its a fairly simple diy job to fit, but check its not the tensioner. :wink:

http://mazdabongo.com/catalog/mazda-bon ... ll-models/
bongo_tc
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by bongo_tc » Wed May 17, 2017 2:51 pm

My mechanic (I've used him for years on other vehicles so he's trusted) has tried tightening it but this hasn't worked. A new belt is what's been recommended but when I say he can't source I should have been a little clearer and say his parts supplier can't find an exact match to the size of belt.

I shall refer to the Bongo Shop or eBay to purchase and get a subsequent fitting.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed May 17, 2017 3:45 pm

Most garages now just put your reg into the computer to order parts.

As Bongos are grey imports they often don't come up so can leave the garage stumped, hence one of the values of the Forum. 8)

I doubt I'd have bought one without the help and advice on here. :D
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri May 19, 2017 10:18 am

You could try

http://www.eurocarparts.com/

They have stores all over Scotland , Edinburgh, Dundee, Glasgow, to name a few. The also deliver very fast if required.

What engine do you have.

Return to “Scotland”