A Newboy hunting a Bongo (yet another!)

rpage
Apprentice Bongonaut

A Newboy hunting a Bongo (yet another!)

Post by rpage » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:49 am

As the title suggests, I'm new to BongoFury and looking for my first Bongo.

I have to be honest and say I've never had a Bongo or a camper of any kind, but as a married man with two weuns, a keen cyclist and wildlife enthusiast, a Bongo is possibly the only way to go.

I'm based in Fife, don't have a big budget, under £3000, but as a first step into BongoLand, hopefully this will get me going?

I already have a buyer for my car, a '52 Saab 9-5 Aero Saloon, so could move quickly after a quick chat with the bank, although, the Saab could also be a part of a deal if that peaks anybody's interest?

Any advice or offers would be greatly received - indeed, I was considering a trip to Hawick, but after reading a few of the previous posts, am glad I joined!!! =D> :D :!:

Many thanks in advance,
Rob./
Easily done.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: A Newboy hunting a Bongo (yet another!)

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:50 am

£3k is not a lot to be buying a (good) Bongo with. If you got one at that price it is likely to have (hidden) issues that i would personally want to be holding £2k extra in reserve so that i can fix what comes out of the woodwork (or metalwork!). Buying a Bongo in a hurry is not advisable and further compounds the risk. BUT...you may get lucky as they are out there! We'll help with advise where we can.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:47 pm

Welcome aboard. :D

Good advice from Mike, as always. =D>
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:19 pm

Welcome. There are helpful links giving advice on buying a bongo here: http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... 229#p50887
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:27 pm

cmm303 wrote:Welcome. There are helpful links giving advice on buying a bongo here: http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... 229#p50887

Hmmm. Doesn't seem to flag up rust, which will be a major consideration now, so bear that in mind and search recent discussions on here. Also note madmiles warnings on the limited use of inspections (the Inspections link)
rpage
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by rpage » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:36 pm

Thanks chaps, I appreciate the advice.
Regards my budget, my wife's favourite saying "The moon on a stick" springs to mind!!

I'll have a proper read of these links tonight, but I think Mink is right, don't rush.

I've just had an interesting chat with someone regards the paint on a Bongo - who have thought a discussion about paint could have been so interesting?

We learn every day.

Many thanks again.
Rob./
Easily done.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:55 pm

If you can get a decent Bongo and appreciate they need love, attention and tlc just like any pet, then they are a great all rounder and a lot of fun. 10 years after buying mine i still don't hanker after any other vehicle. Good luck, take your time and do your research.
PixieAndTheMoon
Supreme Being

Post by PixieAndTheMoon » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:02 am

mikeonb4c wrote:If you can get a decent Bongo and appreciate they need love, attention and tlc just like any pet, then they are a great all rounder and a lot of fun. 10 years after buying mine i still don't hanker after any other vehicle. Good luck, take your time and do your research.
Spot on Mike I still love ours parked on the drive, I just wish I didn't have RA x

Return to “Scotland”