Another Scottish newbie

richrx
Bongonaut

Re: Another Scottish newbie

Post by richrx » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:24 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:No problem Rich, I was only concerned that anyone buying an old Bongo was eyes wide open about it. They're great cars, but there's plenty of traps for the unwary especially if they go in with unrealistic expectations. It sounds like you've got your head well screwed on about it, which is not always the case, especially where someone is in a hurry to realise a dream, and on a tight budget. The sharks lie waiting for them :roll:

Good luck with the hunt. Perseverance, perspicacity and patience should pay off in the end.

Mike

I certainly hope so, off to see another bongo today before work, I'm hoping its decent fingers crossed!!

Rich
brucey1
Junior Bongonaut

Post by brucey1 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:32 pm

did you get a look at the Paisley Bongo Rich ?
richrx
Bongonaut

Post by richrx » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:49 am

Brucey, yes i had a look, stephen the owner seems a genuine guy, but very disorganized. For the money its certainly not the worst van ive seen but he didnt have the tools to access the engine compartment as it had an 8/10mm nut holding the centre consol down. So i want in a position to offer on it, and decided i would need to chat to my wife first ( currently nightshift)

From what i gathered he has had it 2 years, 2/3 months into ownership had the head gasket done and head skimmed( he says he might have reciepts somewhere but didnt show them).

He's had coolant pipes replaced and alot of welding this year too, 2 new cills.

Vans undersealed.

Has a coolant alarm thats not connected,he needs to top the coolant up every few months.

Rear sink and cooker without any gas/water

No fammia attachment as per photos as this was stolen.

A few paint runs on the bottom silver section from poor paint jobs in the past.

Holed around the windscreen requiring cutting out and welding.

Front n/s wing was rusted through and o/s corroded. Rear arches were ok, surface rust around the lips

Vandals have scratched the nearside window and door with stones.

Overall, rough van but priced cheap. But easily improved with a little time and money i would say, although it will never be an immaculate van.

Oh and he tried to sell a few months ago but no one bought it due to a problem that he wouldnt disclose.... Aparantly he forgot what it was....

It sounds terrible but I'm still considering it at the moment as its probably fair at the right price....

Didnt test as i couldnt see the engine bay so didnt want to waste his time.

Rich
brucey1
Junior Bongonaut

Post by brucey1 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:10 pm

I took a spin through Paisley today , the Bongo was parked out in the street so I had a look ...
Ye gads , it has made me realise I will have to save quite a bit if that's the standard at that price point , there is no way I would drive that thing , mildew all over the roof and as you say Rich the rust on the wheel arches is pretty chronic .
If you ve seen ones that are worse than that they must have been in some state :cry:
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:52 am

Looking at what's for sale up in Scotland from what I can see at present they are over priced or heaps of junk, I had the same problem as you guys when I made my purchase 5 years ago, I ended up travelling down south to get a better deal.
I have just upgraded to a new motorhome and was so disenchanted with the deals on offer in Scotland again I made my purchase down south, at present my new motorhome has some teething troubles so I tried to get one of the so called Elddis dealers north of the border to do a warranty repair for me only to be told you did not buy it from here it ain't getting repaired here.
This just sums up the Scottish motorhome industry, so I'm booked in down south for the repair instead.
If the Scottish dealer had done the repair to my satisfaction, they would have had all future work for habitation checks, servicing, mot's, accessories etc
Good luck with yor search looking at what's out there £3000 does not get you much, however a £5000 private sale gets you a pretty good bongo which may work out cheaper in the long run.
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
richrx
Bongonaut

Post by richrx » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:13 am

I've had motorbikes in the past and they seem to be similar to bongos in many ways price wise, the further south you go the cheaper they get,with the south being £500 cheaper than scottish bikes,often because people dont want to travel and with there being less up here so people put the price up. And at 2-3k thats a fair price hike.

But i do agree from what you see online just now all the budget bongos are overpriced for what they are at the moment. Maybe people are hoping to cash in on the spring rush too. It seems if a bongo has service history and isnt falling apart ebay auctions are finishing at 2.8-3k just now too.

There also seem to be two incredibly overpriced bongos on gumtree just now too,imho of course.....

Frustrating.

I do think at £2k a van will always have probelms needing imminent money spent. £3k i think there will be a compromise but you should get a solid van, a bit of surface rust and needing a service soon but clean and usable. £4-5 a van thats had the surface rust seen to and good service history,however your always going to need to carry out maintenence or repair on a 20yr old van....but you pay your money and makes your choice... I'm just not picking anything, hoping something comes up :p

The risk with 3-5k vans is that they could still overheat and give a big bill. Or need new cills and anchorage points and welding isnt cheap these days either....

Rich
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:41 pm

This looks like quite a good price though the arches are definitely shot.

West Yorkshire -is this too far?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/151999483445?ro ... mwBanner=1
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
richrx
Bongonaut

Post by richrx » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:11 pm

Another 10 hour day to see a bongo. I think I've had enough of the travelling.... I wont be going to see any more after today either.

Rich

Rich
richrx
Bongonaut

Post by richrx » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:01 pm

Booooo.... Well since nobady is biting i suppose i should come clean, i bought this one, hence no more bongo viewings :)

Rich
brucey1
Junior Bongonaut

Post by brucey1 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:32 pm

What did you get rich ?
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:35 pm

[quote="richrx"]Booooo.... Well since nobady is biting i suppose i should come clean, i bought this one, hence no more bongo viewings :)

Rich[/quote)

Was is the West Yorkshire one?
richrx
Bongonaut

Post by richrx » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:45 pm

It wasnt the west yorks one,but that seemed ok, needed arches and a full service..

I got a 99 2 tone silver 2.5 aft 2wd bongo with the aero kit :) high miles but new engine fitted, hopefully get out and about soon :)

Pics to follow when i get them :) over the moon with it though!!

Rich
brucey1
Junior Bongonaut

Post by brucey1 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:54 pm

Where did you buy it Rich ?
richrx
Bongonaut

Post by richrx » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:01 pm

Was from the facebook bongo club, the van was just south of Berwick upon Tweed. It was definetly at the top of my budget....and needs a few pieces sorted. Nothing major, and nothing needing immediate attention..

She drives great, luckily I've driven one already that seemed decent, and this drives miles better :)

Rich
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:13 pm

Yeay.

welcome to the club officially then.

Sara

Return to “Scotland”