Another Scottish newbie

richrx
Bongonaut

Re: Another Scottish newbie

Post by richrx » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:59 am

Never heard of them either jim, i had a quick goofle but nothing obvious came up...

I think it is above my budget, and i wouldnt take a loan out for one either... Unfortunetly I'll just have to stick to what i can afford :) its more fun this way anuway ;) although a trip to inverness today would be lovely!!!

No time to chat, bag packed off to see the Bongo today :)

Rich
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:52 pm

It's a Facebook group, Mike and Rich.:)There are several Mazda Bongo facebook groups with Bongos for sale at the moment, and more on Ian's website.
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:31 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
Jim the Box wrote:Rich
One in "Mazda bongo mart uk" Inverness owner 19000 miles new shape immaculate. £6000 I'd break the bank for it, no alterations required good to go.
Just being nosey Jim but Google appears never to have heard of them :roll:
It's a Facebook based site Mike, I advertised my bongo on it and pulled the add after 30 mins, I was inundated with dodgy calls, silly offers I even had one guy offering cash £2k less than what I was asking, and he was willing to drive up from Bristol the next day to collect it, could have even been Bristol Bob, it can have some nice vans for sale on it but it can be a nightmare working out the genuine buyer from the chancer, I had one guy phone me 4 times in one night each time to increase his offer.
"Mountainmummy" on this fury website supplied me with details of 3 different Mazda bongo forums on Facebook like yourself none I'd heard of before but they do exist.

Jim...
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:08 pm

Aha! Thanks Jim, got it now thanks.
richrx
Bongonaut

Post by richrx » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:43 pm

If theres any more local come up then give me a shout as I'm not on facebook.

Were both a bit scunnered after a 8 hr return drive and overnight. The camper this time was at the top of the budget so it had to be good and it was... Well it needed a new radiator but one fault i could forgive it.... Then a quick test of thw roof aaaaaand it stayed up.... A few presses of buttons and an owner looking confused it beeped aaaand stayed up. It wast for going down.... Drat.

Off the the hotel deflated, hoping it would get fixed or lowered to complete the test drive and around 7 it was! Lowered but not operating.. The owner was good enough to drive to our hotel, it drove faultlessly, money off to compensate was agreed, but a discussion with my wife and we decided we had lost the loving feeling.... Tbh were actually a little undecided but the doubt is there and came home without the van and an agreement we will look locally now and play the long game...

Thanks all

Rich
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:14 pm

Needing a new radiator doesn't sound good.

The one thing not to mess with on a Bongo is the cooling system, so if it needs one I'd wonder why it hasn't been done, and what else has been 'Overlooked'?

Bad luck on a wasted journey but better than a bad Bongo.
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:28 am

Rich,
Keep an eye on the for sale section on this forum, also on Facebook at "Mazda bongo mart", if you sign up you will be able to check out all the for sale posts.
The longer you hang on the more money you could possibly add to you budget, I will keep you posted if anything comes up in the £3k range.
richrx
Bongonaut

Post by richrx » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:24 am

Thats jim

I've got my wife signing up to them, so hope to fine one on there too :)

The van came from ian taylor 18 months ago, the top half of the radiator had disintegrated.... I would say quite shocking from a dealer With such a good reputation. Also last service in october the owner had replaced a few coolant pipes too at his own expense, again i would have thought ian would replace them and spot the radiator ?

Neither me nor the owner were particularly inpressed with ian taylor ( obviously i only had one side of the story).

I think we've decided to stick back to our original budget....

Possibly got another this weekend too.

Richard
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:42 am

Hmm, I doubt many dealers would be expected to give an eighteen month warranty on a 20 year old vehicle.

How could he possibly see what is going to fail that far ahead?
richrx
Bongonaut

Post by richrx » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:33 am

Its a 3 year warranty that come with all his vans.

Richard
richrx
Bongonaut

Post by richrx » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:50 am

I should add that i can be quite critical of vehicles, but the radiator had no cooling fins at all on the top 1/3. I've not seen any radiators that bad.

I know its one side of a story 18 months on so all the informations not available to me.

Onwards with the next vehicle.

Rich
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:30 am

Nice looking van in north wales £3050 on bongo mart, if you read the post they will take nearest offer, she may drop the price for the cost of your flight/ fuel down, service history etc no rust, may be the one.
richrx
Bongonaut

Post by richrx » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:34 pm

Hi jim,

Thanks for that, it looks to be a tin top, just the AFT we're after. But thats my wife now signed up and weve had a hunt through them, o e or two tick the box, but sold already.

Still hopful though :)

Rich
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:55 am

richrx wrote:Its a 3 year warranty that come with all his vans.

Richard
That's A brilliant guarantee , the seller should contact him to get these issues rectified under the 3 year warranty.?
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:12 am

Might be worth a peek, check out the MOT history, quite impressive.......

https://www.gumtree.com/p/campervans-mo ... 1154385546

Return to “Scotland”