Potential Bongo Owner near Edinburgh

71notout
Apprentice Bongonaut

Potential Bongo Owner near Edinburgh

Post by 71notout » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:30 pm

Hi folks,

I have registered on here (as I tend to do whenever looking to buy a particular make of car) as my wife and I are contemplating buying our first Bongo.

I have had a hankering for one for a good few years, we have hired a couple of larger motorhomes over the past couple of years and having a Bongo to jump in for the odd weekend away sounds great.

I am currently trying to sell my existing toy/wallet drain/hobby (delete as appropriate) - a 1991 Eunos Roadster that I bought as a fresh import from Japan 3 years ago and she has only done 3k miles since and I have spent a fortune on her.

But the time has come to sell, so when she goes, this will hopefully free up some cash to help fund the Bongo purchase.

I am currently doing my homework, obviously I know about rust issues, but the coolant issues were new to me (lots of people fitting coolant alarms?) - not sure if it affects mainly the petrol or diesel ones or both?

I am also looking for decent places to buy - either private or dealer.

I see Calder Campers are close by, I remember when Calder were doing Japanese Imports of MR2, Supra, Impreza, etc. and I wasn't impressed by the quality but that was many years ago si i'm sure things will have improved since then.

Any other recommendations are much appreciated.

Hope to spend a fair bit of time around these parts.

Cheers,
Steven
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Re: Potential Bongo Owner near Edinburgh

Post by TheLongRoad » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:20 pm

Welcome. Ours was a conversion done by Direct Campers in Kilmarnock (we bought it secondhand from a ScotMotorhomes - Perth) The conversion seems a good quality and we've had no problems with the 2.0ltr petrol. I think most coolant issues are with the V6 engines (both petrol and diesels) but as with all 'older' vehicles they can all be a problem if not looked after. The 2.0 ltr petrol seems more robust but you might find it a bit lacking power. I just get into holiday mode and relax. Direct Campers do a try before you buy, so coukld be worth taking one away for a weekend to try out. Hope you find a good one.
2003 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
tootsmcfruits
Bongonaut

Post by tootsmcfruits » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:19 pm

Welcome to the forum!

I bought mine from Campers Scotland and I'm not sure I'd do it again to be honest. I wasn't the happiest with the service received.

It's definitely worth trying before you buy for sure, maybe a weekend away in one to make sure it's what you're looking for. And shop around - that's the mistake I made, I should have gone to a few more companies/local bongos before buying just to make sure I was getting a good deal. Good luck in your search! :D
#sayhellotomylittlefriendee
71notout
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by 71notout » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:31 pm

Thanks folks.

I am talking to a guy called Stuart Coates in Middlesborough (I think) who seems to import and sell on a regular basis and gets decent rep on the Facebook group...

I followed a Bongo with a Bongo Fury sticker on the back window last night, coming off the A720 at Hillend - I was in my Saab so would have been insignificant to them :D
71notout
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by 71notout » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:27 pm

Update time!

I have agreed to buy a 2002 V6 Petrol Bongo, fresh import, from Stuart.

I am getting the timing belt(s), water pump and cam and crank oil seals done as part of the deal to hopefully ward off any mechanical woes for a good while.

Should get it in 4 weeks or so - can't wait!

It is silver, with xenons and will be running on graphite CX5 19" alloys.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:49 pm

Sounds splendid. :D

Good to have you aboard. 8)
Alcohol won't solve your problems, but neither will milk.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hcF9JSxkUSE