Ford diesels - how bad are they for short distances

Talk about non-Bongo stuff. BUT KEEP IT CLEAN....there are children watching. Smut, filth, and anything offensive will not be tolerated and removed immediately.

Moderator: Bob

sotal
Supreme Being

Ford diesels - how bad are they for short distances

Post by sotal » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:21 pm

Alongside the bongo we currently have a Mondeo petrol. I drive 2 miles to work, and obviously back again each day and a few odd trips here and there (fewer trips this year!) Totalling around 4k per year.

I want to change it for an estate and for a newer car. The current one is a 2009. I've seen a nice looking 2015 estate but it is a diesel.

I'm changing my job next week but the new one isn't much further. It will now be 6 miles each way! It is nearly all country lanes at national speed limit but it still isn't far. It is likely to be used for one others to once a week where it will go about 15 miles on free flowing A roads and back again.

It will occasionally go on bigger runs for days out etc.

Will the above be enough to keep the dpf clear? Or am I going to suffer from clogs?

If the dpf light does come on can you just give it a blast to clear or is it too late by that point?

I'm still probably only going to do about 6k per year. I just like this particular car, is it is at a good price and it is local. However I don't want to get it if I'm just going to wreck it!

Thanks
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Ford diesels - how bad are they for short distances

Post by Bob » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:13 am

Some tips from the RAC here:

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/emis ... e-filters/

Advice seems to be that when the orange warning light comes on it's time for that Italian Tune Up, and I've read several places that the high grade shell diesel is best.

Return to “Off Message”