Selling up...

Talk about non-Bongo stuff. BUT KEEP IT CLEAN....there are children watching. Smut, filth, and anything offensive will not be tolerated and removed immediately.

Moderator: Bob

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Selling up...

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:13 pm

Not my Bongo No way ! But my car... :(

I have an old car and it guzzles gas..gets 30mpg on a 60mph run at best but is a vintage 2.0L 3 speed auto and
round town the MPG is diabolical. It has MOT but is 22 years old. It does not have any rust and drives fine.
I will need £300.00 worth of tyres within 18 months or so, and so the lack of economy starts to add up.

So come Feb/March next year I will most likely scrap as this is when insurance is due. It would only get £250.00 on ebay I suspect less fees .
(£150.00 scrap)

Quite sad about it really as it as a reliable comfortable car (MkI Chrysler Neon my dad gave to me). But it is not making economical sense. It is costing £1,100.00 a year with MOT/insurance/Tax/self servicing and petrol. Pops does not want it back either.

So I calculate (best laid plans and all) if the Bongo runs ok for 2 years then we save £2,200.00 for the Bongo repair kitty.

You know I look after the Bongo well and I am a sympathetic Bongo driver, I don't drive it like a sports car etc. But any thoughts
on the economies running consideration etc. of a Bongo as a sole vehicle that I may have missed would be of interested. Quite sad
but it is a lot of money for a petrol guzzler each year.

I have always loved older cars and keep em tidy, serviced, but owning 2 is no longer viable economically. :(
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Selling up...

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:50 am

My Bongo has been my only car for 12 years. Its been phenomenal in every respect and i don't ever want another car. But (there's always a but!) i have had at times to be without it for a period of weeks (new head 3 years ago, several rust/welding repair sessions). I've had to be able to get by with no car at those times. I've missed it like hell when that happens (mostly cos its my beloved partner!) but i have coped. Where possible, plan the sessions when you don't want to be camping/Bongoing ;-)
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:10 pm

Sounds like good planning Mike. I will obviously oil change at shorter intervals to counter the short journeys. But I am looking into
getting the weekly shop delivered to see how that works out, for the delivery cost might be worthwhile keeping the short journeys off the
Bongo parts.

Also doubling down on any miniscule rustspots. A new place to check :

Roof line gutter ! Not too shabby luckily but I can see light grey undercoat in some places, lines of it, and ever so slight rust here and there on surface
so I will be sorting that out as next job whilst the weather remains fine. I will just brush along with a touch up brush.
Caught a little bit on the bottom of the tailgate last week as well, check the bottom corners.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:08 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:10 pm Sounds like good planning Mike. I will obviously oil change at shorter intervals to counter the short journeys. But I am looking into
getting the weekly shop delivered to see how that works out, for the delivery cost might be worthwhile keeping the short journeys off the
Bongo parts.

Also doubling down on any miniscule rustspots. A new place to check :

Roof line gutter ! Not too shabby luckily but I can see light grey undercoat in some places, lines of it, and ever so slight rust here and there on surface
so I will be sorting that out as next job whilst the weather remains fine. I will just brush along with a touch up brush.
Caught a little bit on the bottom of the tailgate last week as well, check the bottom corners.
Yup. Mixed green and black smooth hammerite to aprroximate match and did my gutters with that this year. Bottom of my tailgate has rust throughs and is 'overplated' with woven fibreglass cloth and resin with sponge wiped hammerite over the top which gives a v acceptable feature that can easily be taken off and redone (1st time after 3 years in my case) as the rust continues to work from the inside to delaminate it. Masking line is the horizontal crease about 3" up from tailgate bottom and in most lighting conditions you would barely notice its not just normally painted
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:43 am

What causes the inside out rusting of the Bongo? Is it primarily due to using it in Winter with salt and surface water on the roads or is it due to atmospheric moisture forming in the panels with no drainage or quick evaporation?
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:15 am

Both I would suggest, water ingress will always include salts, the amount obviously varies but so also does the thickness of metal for it to damage!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:02 am

In the case of the tailgate (and whilst i admit i'm puzzled as it has drain holes) i think its much like the rear wings: inner and outer surfaces come together creating a haven for condensation that forms at lower / cold extremities and/or aggregates higher up and makes its way down there where there's not good ventilation to dry it out. Road moisture and rain (maybe with salt) also swirl around them when on the move. Slowly, the bottom of my tailgate is becoming more grp than metal! But the solution works fine and it pretty quick to redo at intervals, at v low cost and without the car being away somewhere and out of action.
Bonneville
Bongolier

Post by Bonneville » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:26 am

I took the rubber tailgate seal off a while ago and found that the rubber has small steel clips holding it onto the body seams. These rust and then the seams start rusting under the clip so I took them off (or what was left of them) then did my usual rust preventative trick and packed grease in the gaps. The seal holds onto the seam without them.
Castrol red rubber grease on rubber, regular lithium under the arches or wherever it's just steel.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:14 pm

Yes first went along with touch up paint of correct colour. Then thought it would be best to
go over again with dark green Hammerite to be sure. It is a non visible area so is fine.

Glad it's done I was going to wait till spring but that was just crazy talk. You have to go ruthless
on the rust if you want to have any hope with it.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:15 pm

Well it seems it will go sooner than I thought (Tax due end Oct 2018) within 10 days for scrap once I have burnt the 1/2 last tank off. Shame as it has 11 months MOT on it and is rust free. The annoying thing is getting rid of something that actually runs well. Every car I have scrapped (2 before this)
have all been runners with M.O.T's It is just they get uneconomical to run in the end.

Made the decision to get rid for sure..but it is not nice throwing workiing things away. I cannot be bothered
with a load of people messing me about knocking it down to £200.00 (£37.95 to put on autotrader !!!)

The only thing knowingly not working is the air con.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:06 pm

Agree completely, there's no quicker way to find donught heads than advertise a used car. :?

Late Father in Law once took his MoT failure to the scrappie then had two coppers on the door step as it had been used in a ram raid. :roll:

Fair to say the law expressed 'interest' in the scrap merchant.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:53 pm

Yeah, had a few parking tickets through on a past scrap car.. when scrapping is there any protocol to follow i.e. get it in wioriting that is sold as scrap ? Found a place online that will pay £149.00 by company cheque which seems fairly water tight/official. Had 2 quotes for £149.00 Apparently they can no longer legally pay you cash for some reason.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:49 pm

It's right that scrappers have to pay by cheque, it's to try and reduce metal theft.

You need to take ID, eg driving licence, and the cheque must be made out to you, plus they must note the reg of the vehicle you're using.

I'd try looking for reviews of your chosen yard to see if there's anything dodgey.

Return to “Off Message”