What a shocking waste!!

Talk about non-Bongo stuff. BUT KEEP IT CLEAN....there are children watching. Smut, filth, and anything offensive will not be tolerated and removed immediately.

Moderator: Bob

Markas
Bongolier

What a shocking waste!!

Post by Markas » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:09 pm

Found this gem on Regit (formerly Motoring.com):
"The new Golf mark 7.5 is available with a big saving of £4,000 when you trade in an older diesel, whatever the make, as long as it is registered before December the 31st 2009."
Surely the largest amount of emissions are caused through the manufacturing of a new car and the industrial processes related to recycling it? Recycling a nearly-new vehicle (well I think of a vehicle just over 8 years old as such) cannot be in any way 'environmentally friendly'. It's now the manufacturers jumping on the demonisation of - particularly older - diesels, after consumers being told for years they were the ones to buy.
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: What a shocking waste!!

Post by Bob » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:50 pm

Not sure of the exact sums, but I completely agree with you.

The last scrapage scheme was more about protecting the Sacred Cow of car jobs than cutting polution. :roll:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:21 am

Couldn't agree more. Keep that cherished old car and drive it less (in populated / congested areas). The jump-on-the-bandwagon brigade (who might once have bought diesels but now love to hate them) are ripe for the picking by manufacturers who've identified profitable new sales potential through scrappage schemes.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:21 am

BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Post by BigPanzer » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:34 am

It's just another example of marketing & sales executives trying to scam us and you have to admit it hasn't taken much talking on their part for politicians to see the advantage. Personally I think I am doing the planet a favour by not contributing to the pollution created during the manufacture of a new vehicle.
Further, during all the scrappage talk nobody has mentioned the difficulty of disposing the of the increasing number of electronic modules that modern vehicles are needlessly festooned with. These contain components that can be extremely toxic if disposed of incorrectly, but as far as I know they just get shipped to the far east to become their problem.

Peter
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:54 am

Years back I owned an A35 van. I was lucky as a neighbour had a pristine example (13k on the clock and showroom condition) that he offered to sell me. I pootled down to Cornwall (and back!) in it at 60mph whilst it delivered 40mpg. It made me realise that an old design could still be a smooth, comfortable and reliable drive provided its components were well maintained and functioning as they should. And the engineering was basic and simple and could be maintained either DIY or by any local mechanic with basic tools/facilities. I often think about that car.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:14 am

I quite like the idea that 4WD diesels may become cheaper to buy as a result (bongos of course), as a result of all this!!!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:21 am

mikeonb4c wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:54 amI often think about that car.
Nostalgia's not what is used to be........
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
alant54
Tribal Elder

Post by alant54 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:48 am

I agree with Mike......the basic simplicity of those old nostalgic cars was a joy to behold.. :D

Yesterday my son took the alternator of our Suzuki Ignis....it took two hours and needed half of the car removing to get it out because of very limited access to it....I dread to think what a garage would charge just to remove it.... :shock:

I used to do my own repairs at one time but these modern characterless cars are too complicated for the home mechanic.

I once had a Triumph Toledo and the WHOLE of the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual fitted on an A4 page.... :roll:

Nuff said..... #-o

Alan
Alan...still plodding on....!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:37 pm

Ian wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:21 am
mikeonb4c wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:54 amI often think about that car.
Nostalgia's not what is used to be........
And - even more sobering - neither are we :-( :lol:
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:44 pm

Well, I know what to do about sober. 🍺 :lol:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:57 am

Bob wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:44 pm Well, I know what to do about sober. 🍺 :lol:
:lol: :lol: =D> =D> :mrgreen:

Return to “Off Message”